VOGONS

First post, by GN323

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,

I've been trying to install Windows 98SE onto a recently acquired machine (specs below), and have been experiencing a key issue related to CDROM support in Windows 98, in that it won't load the drivers.

I can boot the machine from both the Windows 98 floppy bootdisk and the OEM install CD itself, but neither will boot with CDROM support, only in DOS mode without CDROM drivers. If I try to boot it with CDROM support, it hangs indefinitely while trying to load OEMCD001.

I've tried three separate drives, two being CD-RW/DVD combos, so I assumed the generic Win98 drivers wouldn't support them. The currently installed drive is a Samsung SC-140E CDROM. I've tried editing to the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files along with another driver (SSCDROM.sys), but still no luck.

Does anyone know where to find the specific driver, or have any other potential solutions? I've managed to install Debian 3 and run some live CDs on this machine, so I'm fairly certain it isn't a hardware issue.

System Specs:
Intel Coppermine 128 Celeron (996MHz)
Samsung SC-140E 40X CDROM
384mb RAM
No GPU
Samsung 40gb HDD
Gigabyte GA-60MM7E 1.1 Mobo

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How do you the SC-140 jumpered ? Is it master on the secondary IDE channel or are you slaving to HD on Primary.
Attached the sc-140 manual and the complete v2.40 of SSCDROM.SYS DOS setup files
and from the archived FAQ from Samsung says :
"Q How do I position the jumper on the back of the CD-ROM ?

A
On the rear of the CD-ROM drive is a set of 6 pins labeled CSEL, SL, and MA.
If the CD-ROM is attached as a slave to a hard drive, place the jumper across the pins labeled SL.
If the CD-ROM is attached to a separate controller (or a sound board), place the jumper across MA.
If the drive is not recognized, try jumping CSEL in addition to the MA / SL jumper."

Attachments

• Filename
    SC-140_148_E-User.pdf
    File size
    159.11 KiB
    Downloads
    58 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    cdrom.zip
    File size
    65.23 KiB
    Downloads
    145 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 19, by GN323

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-02-24, 18:19:
How do you the SC-140 jumpered ? Is it master on the secondary IDE channel or are you slaving to HD on Primary. Attached the sc- […]
Show full quote

How do you the SC-140 jumpered ? Is it master on the secondary IDE channel or are you slaving to HD on Primary.
Attached the sc-140 manual and the complete v2.40 of SSCDROM.SYS DOS setup files
and from the archived FAQ from Samsung says :
"Q How do I position the jumper on the back of the CD-ROM ?

A
On the rear of the CD-ROM drive is a set of 6 pins labeled CSEL, SL, and MA.
If the CD-ROM is attached as a slave to a hard drive, place the jumper across the pins labeled SL.
If the CD-ROM is attached to a separate controller (or a sound board), place the jumper across MA.
If the drive is not recognized, try jumping CSEL in addition to the MA / SL jumper."

Cheers for the reply and the files. The drive was jumped in CSEL and detected as a Secondary Master (also how it's connected internally to my knowledge). I copied the SSCDROM setup to a floppy and ran it with a copy of the 98 bootdisk I made (running in No CDROM mode as I can't load the drivers) and ran the setup program. It edited the files on C: (which has a copy of the bootdisk's contents also, but isn't bootable) and then copied the modified files (AUTOEXEC and CONFIG) and the driver to the floppy bootdisk. Now when it tries to load in no CDROM mode, it tries to load the SSCDROM driver as SSCD000, but hangs exactly as the OEMCD001 driver does when booting otherwise.

TL;DR: Using a copy of the bootdisk with CONFIG and AUTOEXEC from the SSCDROM setup, it hangs trying to load SSCD000. I've also tried the jumping CSEL and MA (jumping just as MA made it appear as a Slave, weirdly) and the result is the same.

Apologies if this seems silly, i'm fairly new to retro computing.

Thanks.

Reply 4 of 19, by GN323

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zeerex wrote on 2023-02-24, 21:44:

It may work in 98. If the system boots with a livecd, boot with that, load the 98 CD and copy the contents of the disc to the hard disk. Then boot with the 98 floppy and run setup from the HDD.

Cheers for the reply, whether booting from the CD or the floppy, it won't load CDROM drivers, so when copying the contents of the CD to the HDD, it appears to only copy the DOS files, none of the setup.

I used

COPY A:\ C:\

where A: is the CDROM and C: is the HDD.

Thanks.

Reply 6 of 19, by GN323

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-02-25, 17:30:

A: is your floppy drive.

Not when booting from the Win98 CD. A: is the CDROM, the internal floppy drive gets assigned to B:. If I boot from the Win98 floppy, A: is the floppy drive.

Reply 7 of 19, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GN323 wrote on 2023-02-25, 12:34:
Cheers for the reply, whether booting from the CD or the floppy, it won't load CDROM drivers, so when copying the contents of th […]
Show full quote
Zeerex wrote on 2023-02-24, 21:44:

It may work in 98. If the system boots with a livecd, boot with that, load the 98 CD and copy the contents of the disc to the hard disk. Then boot with the 98 floppy and run setup from the HDD.

Cheers for the reply, whether booting from the CD or the floppy, it won't load CDROM drivers, so when copying the contents of the CD to the HDD, it appears to only copy the DOS files, none of the setup.

I used

COPY A:\ C:\

where A: is the CDROM and C: is the HDD.

Thanks.

Use xcopy.exe or xcopy32.exe.
It is part of Windows 98 and it has a parameter to copy all sub directories. I think /E

Reply 8 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are EBD and OEM non-EBD 98/98SE boot floppies. The EBD type set CDROM as A: and create a Ramdrive D:, the other OEM ones lockCDROM at D: and do not create a Ramdrive IIRC. I have both types laying around.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 19, by GN323

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-02-25, 21:34:

There are EBD and OEM non-EBD 98/98SE boot floppies. The EBD type set CDROM as A: and create a Ramdrive D:, the other OEM ones lockCDROM at D: and do not create a Ramdrive IIRC. I have both types laying around.....

Apologies, I'm not quite sure what EBD is in this context. If it helps, booting from both the OEM floppy and CD both don't give me a D: drive to use in DOS.

Edit: Just googled it, I'm guessing EBD is short for Emergency Boot Disk?

Reply 10 of 19, by GN323

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE: Still haven't managed to get this system working. I've tried different versions of Win98 and WinME (what the system had originally) bootdisks. Still refuses to load any CDROM drivers. Is this system just borked?

Reply 11 of 19, by GN323

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE 2: Managed to get win98 installed. Had to copy the install files from the CDROM to the HDD via a Linux live cd. Install finished, but now the system loads infinitely on the 'Getting ready to start Windows for the first time' splash screen. I have a feeling it's trying to load OAKCDROM.SYS in the background and subsequently loading forever.

Reply 12 of 19, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GN323 wrote on 2023-03-03, 08:23:

UPDATE 2: Managed to get win98 installed. Had to copy the install files from the CDROM to the HDD via a Linux live cd. Install finished, but now the system loads infinitely on the 'Getting ready to start Windows for the first time' splash screen. I have a feeling it's trying to load OAKCDROM.SYS in the background and subsequently loading forever.

I doubt that windows not starting / hanging has something to do with the CD drive. Also windows 98 does NOT need a sys driver for the CD-rom, that is only for the dos part of win98.
So I think you DO have a hardware issue, even if Debian installs fine.
Can you try to install Windows XP and check if the hardware runs fine with it?

Reply 13 of 19, by GN323

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately I don't have any installation media for XP but this system did have it when I first got it. If it helps, Win98 debug mode fails to load the registry.

EDIT: Using step-by-step startup, i've managed to get it to boot into Win98. I loaded everything except the CONFIG.SYS, Windows Registry and parts of the AUTOEXEC that included loading CDROM drivers. I agree that this may be a hardware fault, as this system is outright refusing to load CDROM drivers. Just seems a little strange that other OSes can detect and read any and all CDROM drives ok, but Windows can't.

EDIT 2: Managed to complete setup using the step by step mode - Windows detects both drives, and can use them. This is getting stranger by the minute.

Reply 14 of 19, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GN323 wrote on 2023-03-05, 13:24:

Unfortunately I don't have any installation media for XP but this system did have it when I first got it. If it helps, Win98 debug mode fails to load the registry.

EDIT: Using step-by-step startup, i've managed to get it to boot into Win98. I loaded everything except the CONFIG.SYS, Windows Registry and parts of the AUTOEXEC that included loading CDROM drivers. I agree that this may be a hardware fault, as this system is outright refusing to load CDROM drivers. Just seems a little strange that other OSes can detect and read any and all CDROM drives ok, but Windows can't.

EDIT 2: Managed to complete setup using the step by step mode - Windows detects both drives, and can use them. This is getting stranger by the minute.

Wait.
" .... and parts of the AUTOEXEC that included loading CDROM drivers".
There are no CD ROM drivers in the autoexec.bat on a running Windows 98 system!!! What exactly do you mean now?
One needs them only when you have a boot-menu to optional start the dos part of Windows 98. Like on the one explained on philscomputerlab.

Reply 15 of 19, by GN323

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoffeeOne wrote on 2023-03-05, 23:30:
Wait. " .... and parts of the AUTOEXEC that included loading CDROM drivers". There are no CD ROM drivers in the autoexec.bat on […]
Show full quote
GN323 wrote on 2023-03-05, 13:24:

Wait.
" .... and parts of the AUTOEXEC that included loading CDROM drivers".
There are no CD ROM drivers in the autoexec.bat on a running Windows 98 system!!! What exactly do you mean now?
One needs them only when you have a boot-menu to optional start the dos part of Windows 98. Like on the one explained on philscomputerlab.

I know. The AUTOEXEC.bat it was reading appears to be the one from the boot floppy (I had previously copied its contents to the HDD before running the 98 installer). I've since deleted it, and it's no longer picked up during step-by-step startup. Same with the config.sys, the only step that fails now is processing the Windows Registry. If you skip that step, it loads up fine.

As i've said before, I'm new to this, so I apologise if this isn't make complete sense (i'm just reporting what I think i'm seeing).

Reply 17 of 19, by GN323

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: A clean install of 98 on a clean FS did the trick. I'm going to look into the HDD's SMART status because there's been some inconsistencies, but other than that, the problem seems to be resolved. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Reply 18 of 19, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is a clean FS ?

Reply 19 of 19, by GN323

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-03-08, 03:14:

What is a clean FS ?

Clean filesystem. I'd copied various files onto the HDD whilst trying to fix the driver issue that then seemed to interfere with 98 once installed. A clean install once I'd organised and deleted said files fixed it.