VOGONS

First post, by vacatedboat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is my first battery corrosion removal process of a 386 board. Just after feedback. The underside of the board had no damage.
I plan to re tin and then coat with either green nail polish or try and get formal coating.
Thanks for looking

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The traces look OK so maybe was got lucky and no real damage. I would test the board as-is to make sure before coating it....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like the "printed fuse" might have lost contact at the center (or could do so soon) due to the corrosion and the cleaning process. Maybe it´s safer to solder a new "regular" 3A pico-fuse in that place.

Reply 4 of 4, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It´s this one:

kb_fuse..JPG
Filename
kb_fuse..JPG
File size
16.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It´was designed for a defined copper thickness, that is probably reduced now. If you tin it, it gets thicker, but electrically undefined. It might blow too early or not at all when there´s a short at the keyboard connector (in the kb-cable, the kb itself or some other device connected to it).