VOGONS

First post, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there!
I am using a K6 350Mhz on a board which seems to be the one attached as PDF.

This Manual does not mention a Turbo Mode at all. However, it does have a Turbo LED (Pin 13 and 14)

I got an old case with:
A Turbo Button
A Mhz Display
A HDD LED

Now Obviously the Turbo Button won't do anything if its not connected and I can't connect it as there are no pins for that.
The MHz display (for the turbo) is also somehow connected with that turbo button. So...alright, I am leaving that out as well, just for now.

However I saw in this video here: https://youtu.be/zpq9irl2yE4?t=552
That some boards do have a turbo mode when pressing ALT+CTRL and +/-.
I am using Symantec System Information to check the CPU speed as shown in the video, and upon pressing ALT+CTRL+- the CPU score goes from 180 down to 51 (neither value makes sense, but at least you can see that something is happening).
So it does seem like this Board does have some kind of "Turbo Mode".
And I would assume that if the status is changed the Pins for the Turbo LEDs would show a different signal. Which is where the HDD Led comes in, which I "abused" for now by connecting it to the turbo pins, assuming that it should either be On (if turbo is on) or off. But depending on how I connect it to Pin13/14 it is either always on, or always off. The status doesnt change when changing the speed.

But shouldn't it? Do I misunderstand the Turbo LED headers?

Attachments

• Filename
    M598v50.pdf
    File size
    479.58 KiB
    Downloads
    22 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wild guess, not anything I know for sure:
Old cases often still had turbo LEDs so maybe in order to not make people think their system was running slow because the turbo LED was off manufacturers included a turbo LED header that just supplied current when the system was on, no matter what. Also maybe it was just the norm to have the header onboard so it was included? Who knows!? Many later AT style boards have a turbo LED header that's just connected the same way the power LED header is.

On the other hand your board still has a deturbo feature via key combinations. Maybe this wasn't meant to be an official feature on the board but since the chipset supported some kind of deturbo functionality software engineers just implemented the function but didn't bother communicating it in official documentation?

Again wild guesses but it makes sense to me.😄