VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone here use and can recommend a ISA/PCI motherboard diagnostic card?

I was looking on Amazon and see there are a lot of Chinese-made ones. Some of the reviews though indicate lack of English instructions which naturally limits their usefulness.

Just curious if there are any preferred options or possibly other vendors to buy from directly?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 3, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They all come from China...
I've bought mines from Aliexpress, I found 3 versions:
The first which was the best (and I lost it), had the manual with all the codes for ami, award and phoenix bios.
The second one had 2 segments led instead of 4 and fewer lesds to check the voltage (a stripped down version of the first one)
The third one was like the first but without manual.

If you buy them from Amazon you should be on the safe side, if anything is wrong.
That from aliexpress should be what you are looking for:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002028078033.html

Reply 2 of 3, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Be aware that there are cheap clones that do not correctly implement the ISA interface (they work only on PCI), and much worse are too loose in the isa slot, possibly killing mainboards. See Troubles between a PCI/ISA POST card and my Asus P55T2P4-C motherboard

Reply 3 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mkarcher wrote on 2023-02-26, 21:54:

Be aware that there are cheap clones that do not correctly implement the ISA interface (they work only on PCI), and much worse are too loose in the isa slot, possibly killing mainboards. See Troubles between a PCI/ISA POST card and my Asus P55T2P4-C motherboard

Yep that is a good reference on what a good Diag card should look like versus a bad one 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun