VOGONS

First post, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,
My Soyo 6VBA 133 reports an idle temp of 65c - 67c for the 1Ghz Slot 1 Coppermine running at stock clocks and voltage . Some background before getting to questions. Reported idle temps are consistent within the bios and from windows via Everest. Heat sink is barely warm to the touch. HSF combo appears to be unbranded aftermarket. The fan is reporting to run at around 4k rpm constant. Before installing in the system I had removed the HSF and found it has what appears to be a shinny thin "sticker". Not what I would consider a heat pad., but I left it in place and added a dab of Arctic silver before re-attaching.

With that all in mind, I am hoping someone might have shared experiences with the same combo and can answer a few questions.

How accurate should I expect the reported temps to be?
Should I remove the shinny thin "sticker"?
Anyone have a recommended type and source for a HSF suitable for the 1Ghz Slot 1 SEC2 package?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First 1GHz Intels ran hot. First 1.13GHz were infamously scam and had to be recalled due to heat and instability 😀 https://www.zdnet.com/article/intel-recalls-1 … z-pentium-iiis/ Early 2000 was a crazy time with Intel racing to release something asap https://www.zdnet.com/article/its-official-am … rst-5000096067/
Shiny sticker is a heat pad, they are one time use - after removing radiator once its ruined (like copper crush washers) and might need replacing with another one or paste.

Last edited by rasz_pl on 2023-02-28, 01:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 4, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SilverHawk wrote on 2023-02-27, 23:59:

As accurate as the hardware is as it's easy for software to read the temperatures and report the value.

It's impossible to assign meaning to 65°C - 67°C without knowing the ambient/case air temperature, how hot was everything else?

When idle my CPUs were 47.0°C + 41.5°C with the MB @ 32°C, the Thermaltake SPG-650D-G PSU @ 36°C and the QUANTUM ATLAS IV 9 WLS @ 35°C

file.php?id=158573

Attachments

Reply 3 of 4, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-02-28, 00:15:

First 1GHz Intels ran hot. First 1.13GHz were infamously scam and had to be recalled due to heat and instability 😀 https://www.zdnet.com/article/intel-recalls-1 … z-pentium-iiis/ Early 2000 was a crazy time with Intel racing to release something asap https://www.zdnet.com/article/its-official-am … rst-5000096067/
Shiny sticker is a heat pad, they are one time use - after removing it its ruined (like copper crush washers) and might need replacing with another one or paste.

Thanks, I will scrape the one time heat pad off and re-apply some thermal paste. Back in the day I skipped coppermine and when straight to Socket A T-bird. That said, this coppermine is running hotter at idle than my 1100Mhz T-bird atm. I always thought the Athlons ran hotter than anything Intel.

red-ray wrote on 2023-02-28, 00:37:
As accurate as the hardware is as it's easy for software to read the temperatures and report the value. […]
Show full quote
SilverHawk wrote on 2023-02-27, 23:59:

As accurate as the hardware is as it's easy for software to read the temperatures and report the value.

It's impossible to assign meaning to 65°C - 67°C without knowing the ambient/case air temperature, how hot was everything else?

When idle my CPUs were 47.0°C + 41.5°C with the MB @ 32°C, the Thermaltake SPG-650D-G PSU @ 36°C and the QUANTUM ATLAS IV 9 WLS @ 35°C

file.php?id=158573

Was curious to know if there were any known concerns with the hardware sensors used.

The only other reading I have from the machine is the MB . It reports around 29°C. Room temp is under 21°C

Thanks again to you both for the input.

Reply 4 of 4, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, some good news. After removing the heat pad, cleaning the heatsink of residue, and applying a little bit of good ole arctic silver, my idle temps are down significantly. After a few runs of 3dmark and some Q3 demo passes, it does not get above 49°C. Needless to say I have very happy with the marked drop in temperatures. Thanks again for the input.