VOGONS

What is this old case?

Topic actions

First post, by LeCroebar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This would have been for sale in 1994-1997-ish.
Its an AT case. It was screwless, which is why im looking for it. The whole case was plastic and it had a thin RF shielding layer attached to the inside of the main case. To take it apart you had to pull two large tabs at the back and life the back up and the back & sides came off. then the front could come off with two push-tab locks on each side.
The power button is below the 3.5 floppy and the reset button was a thin vertical plastic button in line with the power/hdd LEDs.
It looked similar to that InWin style with the thing vertical LEDs, I think Acer was using a similar design as well, but they werent screwless and the floppy was on the right side of the 5.25” bays.
I believe this case was by Shuttle or InWin but i cant find anything about it anywhere.

The attachment EAC20FCE-E07B-4BFE-BCDF-BB4CA538C8E9.jpeg is no longer available

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Micron Computers and Dell both had system units like that around the time.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 16, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-02, 04:48:

Micron Computers and Dell both had system units like that around the time.

I was thinking Dell myself. I can't find any that look exactly like that, but there are some from the 486 era that are close.

As a side note... if it does end up being a Dell, don't be surprised if there are no pictures of it available. Apparently there are Dell home (not office) computers from ~1993 that have managed to avoid having any pictures or information about them recorded on the entire internet. I recently purchased one complete in box, a Dell Exclaim! 486/50 and have found absolutely zilch about it online, aside from a trademark record of the name and one passing comment about it's existence on a forum.

Looks a lot like this, with an almost identical drive layout, but the front panel is a bit different.

The attachment dellexclaim.jpg is no longer available

(seller's picture... I haven't received it yet)

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 16, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-03-02, 07:26:

Kind of looks like the IN-WIN IW-B500 (but probaby isn't) - https://web.archive.org/web/20011106002116/ht … e/ino_b500.html

IN-WIN IW-B500 AT.jpg

That has to be it. It's hard to be 100% certain due to the different angle and lighting... but it is too close to not be it.

Reply 5 of 16, by LeCroebar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-03-02, 07:26:

Kind of looks like the IN-WIN IW-B500 (but probaby isn't) - https://web.archive.org/web/20011106002116/ht … e/ino_b500.html

IN-WIN IW-B500 AT.jpg

That case isn't it, but that case is why I think this may be an In-Win because the style is SO close. Acer and Compudyne had similar cases as well, but none of them were all plastic and screwless, and none were as close as this one is.

The case in my picture has a ridge and rounded corner to the right of the 5.25 bays, and the power button is below the floppy. I don't recall ever seeing this case as a prebuilt (Dell, PB, etc). I got this case used when I was working as a tech in a small PC store, and I saw it come in a few times over the years in custom builds.

Thank you all for the replies, this is awesome. I hope we can find what it is!

Reply 6 of 16, by LeCroebar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK! If you pause this video at 1:11, the case is the top right one!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVEH_vx6y80

The attachment Screenshot 2023-03-03 085839.png is no longer available
Last edited by LeCroebar on 2023-03-03, 14:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 16, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LeCroebar wrote on 2023-03-03, 13:59:

Screenshot 2023-03-03 085839.png

Nice!! Glad you found it!

Not surprised that Tech Tangents had one... 😀

Reply 8 of 16, by LeCroebar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-03-03, 14:05:

Update it's in the video, apparently! Acer bd24-i333a (Aopen) !! WOO HOO!
Thanks for all the conversation!

Reply 9 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's time for the ..
*unlocks walk in safe*
*removes briefcase*
*sets briefcase on desk*
*unlocks briefcase*
*opens and removes stone tablet*
*places tablet carefully on desk, it reads..*

"ACER WARNING, not every Acer machine that appears at first glance to take standard baby AT, mATX or ATX format boards is actually standard, some of them are, and other boards will fit, sometimes they are frustrating millimeters away from lining up. Often, they have custom power supplies with the pinouts switched around, these use the same connectors as standard supplies and look like they fit, but they are wired differently. To amuse themselves Acer also make machines where everything is more or less standard. Assume nothing, check, confirm outputs with a multimeter. Again, assume NOTHING. If you have a handheld gadget that confirms the physical constants of our known universe are as expected, please measure any variance in the interior of an Acer case, we have always been curious."

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 16, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LeCroebar wrote on 2023-03-03, 14:50:

That might be the complete system model, rather than the case - https://fccid.io/IPLBD24-I333A

Reply 11 of 16, by LeCroebar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-03, 16:33:
It's time for the .. *unlocks walk in safe* *removes briefcase* *sets briefcase on desk* *unlocks briefcase* *opens and removes […]
Show full quote

It's time for the ..
*unlocks walk in safe*
*removes briefcase*
*sets briefcase on desk*
*unlocks briefcase*
*opens and removes stone tablet*
*places tablet carefully on desk, it reads..*

"ACER WARNING, not every Acer machine that appears at first glance to take standard baby AT, mATX or ATX format boards is actually standard, some of them are, and other boards will fit, sometimes they are frustrating millimeters away from lining up. Often, they have custom power supplies with the pinouts switched around, these use the same connectors as standard supplies and look like they fit, but they are wired differently. To amuse themselves Acer also make machines where everything is more or less standard. Assume nothing, check, confirm outputs with a multimeter. Again, assume NOTHING. If you have a handheld gadget that confirms the physical constants of our known universe are as expected, please measure any variance in the interior of an Acer case, we have always been curious."

🤣. THIS one, however I did have, as a matter of fact the original pic in this thread is my desk in 1996! I don't want to brag, but I was rocking a P90 in there 😉 I never saw this case branded as AOpen, which is wild. The one I had came in as a trade-in and had aftermarket parts in it, but I bought the case cause I loved it!

Reply 12 of 16, by LeCroebar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-03-03, 21:00:
LeCroebar wrote on 2023-03-03, 14:50:

That might be the complete system model, rather than the case - https://fccid.io/IPLBD24-I333A

I think you're exactly right. I looked up that ID on the FCC's site and unfortunately there's not much info, but it was registered in 1994 - so likely was a complete built. There's some Soc3 motherboards for sale online with the same model # as well.

Reply 13 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LeCroebar wrote on 2023-03-03, 22:04:

🤣. THIS one, however I did have, as a matter of fact the original pic in this thread is my desk in 1996! I don't want to brag, but I was rocking a P90 in there 😉 I never saw this case branded as AOpen, which is wild. The one I had came in as a trade-in and had aftermarket parts in it, but I bought the case cause I loved it!

Oh good, at least you know you're not chasing something you might not be able to use. Out of curiosity, did it have an AOpen/Acer PSU in it or was it swapped out?

Reply 14 of 16, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have that case in my collection, don't think it has a brand name anywhere.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 15 of 16, by LeCroebar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-03, 22:56:
LeCroebar wrote on 2023-03-03, 22:04:

Oh good, at least you know you're not chasing something you might not be able to use. Out of curiosity, did it have an AOpen/Acer PSU in it or was it swapped out?

I don't remember what PSU was in it. I had it for a while so I have a hard time thinking that I didn't swap that out at some point. I kept this thing going until I finally upgrayedd'd to a PII in 1998 and I had to go with an ATX case.