VOGONS

First post, by hgoshev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, friends!

I recently came into possession of a weird little motherboard, namely the Zida CreateBXe-ATX. Not a lot of info about it online, unfortunately. It came with a 500 MHz Mendocino Celeron and works fine with it, but I've been trying to install a Coppermine CPU in it - with no success so far. Both the 600/66 Celeron and the 733/133 P3 refuse to POST on it. The motherboard currently has the 1.10 BIOS. I read that the 1.12 version adds support for Pentium III CPUs, but I've been unable to find it for the life of me.

Any help would be appreciated!

Reply 1 of 3, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hgoshev wrote on 2023-03-02, 20:34:

Hi, friends!

I recently came into possession of a weird little motherboard, namely the Zida CreateBXe-ATX. Not a lot of info about it online, unfortunately. It came with a 500 MHz Mendocino Celeron and works fine with it, but I've been trying to install a Coppermine CPU in it - with no success so far. Both the 600/66 Celeron and the 733/133 P3 refuse to POST on it. The motherboard currently has the 1.10 BIOS. I read that the 1.12 version adds support for Pentium III CPUs, but I've been unable to find it for the life of me.

Any help would be appreciated!

Try here - https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/zida-c … e-atx#downloads

Reply 2 of 3, by hgoshev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Man, thank you so much! This I was able to successfully flash the 1.12 image onto my board. Unfortunately, it seems my PCB version doesn't support voltages under 2V, but hopefully this could be useful to someone else.

Reply 3 of 3, by tauro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I can help you.

Try a slotket adapter with a Coppermine Celeron 566MHz (SL46T). From my experience it should at least POST, then the L2 Cache will probably not work due to the BIOS lacking the correct Coppermine microcode. This particular S370 Coppermine is pin-compatible with the Mendocino wiring. That's been my experience with a Zida CreateLX-CT, socket 370. It now works with all Coppermines with the right mod and the latest BIOS, but that breaks compatibility with most video cards. That's a tradeoff one has to be ready to make, at least with my model and the lack of a correctly modded bios at the moment.

In your case, since this is a slot 1 board, modding it to accept Coppermines is a bit more involved and I haven't done it myself, ever. But I was re-reading these instructions to mod slotket adaptors and I had some ideas for you to try.

The thing is that Mendocino Celerons (Socket 370) need pin AM2 to be grounded. While in the case of the Coppermines it should NOT be grounded or used at all. That's why the mod for a slotket involves isolating that pin.

Try to find what is the Socket 370 AM2 equivalent for Slot 1. I'm not sure if there is a pin for pin analog between Slot 1 and Socket 370. In case there is, you might have a chance.
Once you locate it, check without any CPUs or slotkets inserted, if there is continuity between the AM2 equivalent pin for Slot 1 and GND on the board. If that pin is grounded, then you should cut that trace and that will give you Coppermine compatibility. Your Mendicinos will probably still work, but I can't assure you that.
This will be of help http://ps-2.kev009.com/eprmhtml/eprma/f706.htm

hgoshev wrote on 2023-03-03, 07:52:

it seems my PCB version doesn't support voltages under 2V

It shouldn't matter at least for testing purposes. Coppermines should boot fine with 2v but they will run hot.
You could just measure VCC and be sure!

Good luck!