VOGONS

First post, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have acquired a Geforce 3 card with no heatsink. As a project, I'm thinking about attaching a socket 479 rackmount server heatsink and fan. I'll need to modify the cooler in order line up the mounting holes.

I'm only familiar with mounting heatsinks using the holes labeled 1 in my attached picture. But I noticed that there are four through-holes with a metal ring inside them (labeled 2 in my attachment).
1. What are these holes for?
2. Can I use them to mount my cooler?
3. Are they electrically connected to anything on the card?
4. Which kind of fastener would be best for attaching and providing tension to the cooler? The backplate that came with the cooler won't work because it will smash the SMD components on the back of the card.

file.php?mode=view&id=158939

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The metal lined holes might be connected to ground so shouldn't be anything to worry about.

As far as fasteners you could always use bolts and plastic / nylon nuts. Be very careful on tightness or you will warp the board and most likely break solder connections. Nylon bolts also exist.

I've also used zip ties. Stick zip tie from top to back of board and use the head of a second zip tie as the holder / tightener. Works best if you have matching springs to dictate the tension.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 2, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

gf3 wont need much pressure so not an issue, but for more modern stuff you want back plate preventing pcb from warping and ripping bga joints under the chip.
as for holes its always better to be prepared than surprised https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjUscSRLwks my hack is to buy screws one size smaller than holes and sleeve heat shrink tube. I also used angle grinder and some random piece of metal to make my own backplate for Xeon cpu 😀

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction