VOGONS

First post, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
I am trying to restore a Iwill xa100 plus, we’ll not me, but a friend much more expert than me in soldering and electronics.
We are having a hard time on identifying a component that needs to be changed.
It is identical to the attached one.
He says it is an oscillator but cannot identify the frequency.
Any idea where to find it?
Alternatives?

Thanks

Attachments

Reply 1 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That one I think is near your RTC and might be the wall time clock clock crystal, usually 32.xxx khz.... you can actually steal one out of a quartz wall clock. Symptoms of it going out of spec would be system time going all over the place. RTC fail on boot etc.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 16, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-06, 04:25:

That one I think is near your RTC and might be the wall time clock clock crystal, usually 32.xxx khz.... you can actually steal one out of a quartz wall clock. Symptoms of it going out of spec would be system time going all over the place. RTC fail on boot etc.

Thanks,
Actually I have two.
The one posted (in good shape) is near the bios chip as you said.
But the one probably faulty is near the south bridge.
Attached, circled in red.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 16, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mamba wrote on 2023-03-06, 04:57:
Thanks, Actually I have two. The one posted (in good shape) is near the bios chip as you said. But the one probably faulty is ne […]
Show full quote
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-06, 04:25:

Thanks,
Actually I have two.
The one posted (in good shape) is near the bios chip as you said.
But the one probably faulty is near the south bridge.
Attached, circled in red.

Clock oscillator for the ISA bus since its sitting right next to it?

Reply 4 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay that's the 14.xxx Mhz reference crystal then. The one ringing to rule them all, 48mhz for the USB lords, 24Mhz for the floppy kings etc.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 16, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-06, 05:05:

Okay that's the 14.xxx Mhz reference crystal then. The one ringing to rule them all, 48mhz for the USB lords, 24Mhz for the floppy kings etc.

Thank you so much, so (sorry I am stupid) I have to search for…
Oscillator at 14.xxx MHz?

Reply 6 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

xxx because I don't remember trailing figures it's 14.31818... cut off at 14.318 Mhz often. But you should see if it looks like saying something like 14.3 on it somewhere when you desolder it.

Reply 7 of 16, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-06, 05:16:

xxx because I don't remember trailing figures it's 14.31818... cut off at 14.318 Mhz often. But you should see if it looks like saying something like 14.3 on it somewhere when you desolder it.

Unsolded, it is destroyed and unmeasurable. It is written s893. Does not say mutch.
Someone else said it should have a value of 32.768khz, not 14.318Mhz…..
The worst part is the difference from kHz to mhz, plus I am not able to find oscillators of the same shape that have 14.xx mhz value, always 32.768khz…
Is it possible that it is exactly the same in value also other than shape?
They even share the same S893 sign on it.

Reply 8 of 16, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mamba wrote on 2023-03-07, 05:24:

The worst part is the difference from kHz to mhz

Totally ok when PLL is involved.
But in this case look into ALI M1543C datasheet, it needs 32.768kHz quartz to handle the DRAM refresh in STANDBY/SLEEP/SUSPEND modes.

Reply 9 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The clock generator next to this have 14.318MHz crystal. The ALi southbridge always have 32kHz crystal for the time of day clock. Use 32kHz on this one.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 10 of 16, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does your friend or an acquaintance happen to have an oscilloscope? Odds are the crystal is fine.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 11 of 16, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PD2JK wrote on 2023-03-07, 18:43:

Does your friend or an acquaintance happen to have an oscilloscope? Odds are the crystal is fine.

It is totally destroyed/burned

Reply 12 of 16, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah! I missed that part, no use in measuring a scorched component of course. 😀

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 13 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Checked my ALI board, the RTC and FSB crystals had nothing visible on outward face, the one by the southbridge did say KSC9B which seems hard to look up but some suppliers pages were offering me other 32khz crystals from that search.

Reply 16 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The leads are a bit thin and whiskery compared to electrolytic caps you might notice.

Also there might be some spurious emission and stability benefits to the belt and braces ground plane strap.