VOGONS

First post, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone !

I dont really know if this is a hardware or software issue to be honest 🙁
I'm trying to connect my 486 DX2 66 mhz to my home lan in order to get file sharing and thus transfer files easier to the machine

I have an unbranded ISA network card with 2 sockets, one the normal RJ45 and the other the older BNC? coaxial connection
It has UMC chips and YCL chips as well as a big DC-AC converter and an empty socket for a ROM
It is similar but not exactly like this one...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/203776907628

Anyways windows 95 installed the adapter and "NE2000 compatible" and when I plug the cable the little light in the back comes on (but I have never seen it blinking)
I have added the TCP/IP protocol and manually set up an IP address in the range of my LAN (192.168.1.115) added the subnet mask and configured the Gateway to my router adress (192.168.1.254)

In windows winipcfg the data is all set correctly

But nothing happens, network neighborhood sees my computer and even drive C: as I have set it to share

I can ping both the localhost and my own computer IP but when I try to ping the router 192.168.1.254 it doesn't connect

Can someone help? Do I need a more specific driver for that uknown card or "NE2000 compatible" is enough? Is it a problem with my router (A technicolor) that is blocking older protocols or something?

Thank you guys!

Nuno

Reply 1 of 16, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Need more details, is there a model number for the card? Does it have any jumpers? Better yet, post a picture of the card.
If the UMC chip is a UM9003, then it is NE2000 compatible but the IO port and IRQ configuration must match the driver's. How did Windows 95 install the driver, is it from "search for new hardware" or was the driver manually selected?

Reply 2 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does the router support 10Mb connections?

You may need to get a 10/100 switch to act as a go-between.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-03-07, 00:49:

+1 +1 +1 🤣 My main Giga router is "10/100/1000" but hates 10Mb so I get older 10/100 switches to make the connections from my old gear to the main router.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First thing to do is set it to DHCP. If the card picks up an IP address off your router then you know the basics are working. If not good chance the card is using incorrect drivers, resources, router doesn't support 10mb, or a number of other issues but at least we know it's not windows networking at fault.
Part 2 of getting this to work will no doubt be the windows networking and security side of things but we need to know basic networking is up and running first.

Reply 5 of 16, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First and foremost, make sure the card is properly configured.
If there are jumpers on the card - check them all, otherwise use the proper configuration software.

There's plenty of config problems possible, eg.:
- address and/or IRQ conflict with other device
- it's possible that Windows incorrectly detected the IRQ
- the card may be set to the BNC port, while your're using RJ45

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 6 of 16, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

not being able to ping on the same subnet/mask is layer 2. you can eliminate the entirety of the windows networking stack (layer 3) from the troubleshooting for now and concentrate on the physical hardware and drivers as others have suggested.

Reply 7 of 16, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jtchip wrote on 2023-03-07, 00:32:

Need more details, is there a model number for the card? Does it have any jumpers? Better yet, post a picture of the card.
If the UMC chip is a UM9003, then it is NE2000 compatible but the IO port and IRQ configuration must match the driver's. How did Windows 95 install the driver, is it from "search for new hardware" or was the driver manually selected?

Thank you for helping

here is a picture of the card

HWP3KqQ.md.jpg

https://freeimage.host/i/HWP3KqQ

sorry the pic quality is not the best
It is a UMC 9003AF chip
I dont think I am having issues with IRQ channels (it is set to 12) or addresses (set to 300 - all jumpers at the top off) as I have very little hardware installed

I have not done anything to install is, when I installed windows 95 I selected "network card" in the install options and it installed it

Thank you for the help 😀

Last edited by Nunoalex on 2023-03-07, 18:09. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 8 of 16, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-03-07, 00:49:

I have no idea 😜
have a look at the picture

I would say it is 10 mbs but does it make any difference the speed?

Reply 9 of 16, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2023-03-07, 12:36:
First and foremost, make sure the card is properly configured. If there are jumpers on the card - check them all, otherwise use […]
Show full quote

First and foremost, make sure the card is properly configured.
If there are jumpers on the card - check them all, otherwise use the proper configuration software.

There's plenty of config problems possible, eg.:
- address and/or IRQ conflict with other device
- the card may be set to the BNC port, while your're using RJ45

have a look at the picture
https://freeimage.host/i/HWP3KqQ

there are only jumpers for IRQ witch is 13 but I dont think it is conflicting with anything
the "Address" is set to 300 and the other jumpers is just for the room startup address in the uper memory

there is also a mysterious jumper JP1 with positions A and B that could be as people suggested to switch from BNC to RJ45 but I tryed them both with same result

thank you

Reply 10 of 16, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is set to port 300 and IRQ 12. It is not IRQ 13, because this is for the FPU (builtin coprocessor).
Does your 486 have a PS/2 mouse? Then it is in conflict with it.

Reply 11 of 16, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2023-03-07, 18:46:

It is set to port 300 and IRQ 12. It is not IRQ 13, because this is for the FPU (builtin coprocessor).
Does your 486 have a PS/2 mouse? Then it is in conflict with it.

Yes it is IRQ 12
No, it is COM port mouse 😀

And I dont have much hardware installed that requires IRQ ... no sound card

thank you for your input

Reply 12 of 16, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you make sure you got the right cable? You need either straight through or crossover, I forget which. Modern cards don't usually care and reconfigure themselves to use either, old ones can't do that. See what you're currently using and try the other type.

Reply 13 of 16, by jtchip

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nunoalex wrote on 2023-03-07, 17:58:

It is a UMC 9003AF chip
I dont think I am having issues with IRQ channels (it is set to 12) or addresses (set to 300 - all jumpers at the top off) as I have very little hardware installed

I used to have a card with a UM9003F but with an additional AUI output. The typeface on the silkscreen looks the same so it could well be the same manufacturer. That just worked without issues as an NE2000 in DOS or Windows 98. It has the same individually selectable IRQ jumpers, a set of jumpers marked ROM, MEM, and I/O and with all off it sets it to port 300h, like yours.

The mysterious jumper on mine is marked JP3 but I never figured out its function. Instead, mine also had a 4x8 block of jumpers selectable between TP, AUI, and BNC, which I don't see on yours so I'm hoping yours simply autoselects.

Nunoalex wrote on 2023-03-07, 17:58:

I have not done anything to install is, when I installed windows 95 I selected "network card" in the install options and it installed it

I guess that means you installed Windows 95 with the network card installed? That's the same as "search for new hardware".

Is it a PnP or PCI system? If so, you need to mark IRQ 12 as "reserved for ISA" in the BIOS setup otherwise you could get an IRQ conflict even if you don't have a PS/2 mouse (my Slot-1 440BX system will assign IRQ 12 to a PCI device if a PS/2 mouse is not plugged in). Otherwise, try IRQ 5, assuming you don't have another device using it, usually this is for LPT2 or a sound card but you say you don't have one. This is an 8-bit IRQ in case there are issues with 16-bit IRQs on your system.

Nunoalex wrote on 2023-03-07, 18:01:

I would say it is 10 mbs but does it make any difference the speed?

@cyclone3d was referring to the router or switch that the network card is plugged into, trying switching to another one, if you have one. I haven't had issues with 10Mbps network devices on my Gigabit or 100Mbps routers or switches but perhaps some may be quite fussy.

When you ping another device, does the light on the network card blink? Does the activity light on the port on the router/switch blink?

The cable suggestion is a good one, you need a straight-through cable to connect to a switch, or a crossover to connect to another computer.

Reply 15 of 16, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok everyone - PROBLEM SOLVED

Network card is working and I can connect to my home network and transfer files (I will check the internet after)

So to make a summary of things in case someone runs into similar issues ... yes it was good old IRQ misconfiguration

- My ISA network card of unknown brand is not plug and play and the IRQ is set by jumpers on the board (jumper was set to IRQ 12)
- When installing windows 95 it did manage to install some generic drivers to NE2000 compatible card and they are working fine
- What I didn't realize was that windows did configure the card with another assigned IRQ (in this case 3, probably is the default for network cards) and that made the card ,of course unresponsive when windows was trying to reach it
- The way I fixed it was when into "system" -> device manager -> network adapter-> properties -> resources and uncheck the "use automatic settings" and then set the correct IRQ manually (to 12 in my case)

after a reboot it was working like a charm!

Thank you everyone here that helped

Reply 16 of 16, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As I said...

Grzyb wrote on 2023-03-07, 12:36:

I'm not sure if Windows even attempts detection, or just assumes the default setting.
IRQ 3 is indeed the default for NE2000, and the original variant doesn't even support high IRQ channels, only 2, 3, 4, 5.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.