VOGONS

First post, by Tomek TRV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello
I have motherboard 486-VIP-IO2. This is interesting motherboard because it have PCI and VLB slots. Everything would be fine but board didn't wanted to start. Accidentally I changed SIMM module and it started only with 4MB 70ns module in slot for first SIMM. None of my SIMMs want to work with this motherboard except this one. When I instal 2 exactly the same modules (one in slot 1 and second in slot 2) motherboard see only 4MB. Question is: why? What should I do to install more memory?
Maybe problem is because this motherboard is from Highscreen computer? When it is starting it shows full screen logo "Highscreen". I remember that my first PC was also 486 but with only VLB slots and it was form Vobis (it was Highscreen) and there was exactly the same problem. Maybe I should flash other BIOS? But I like this logo and I wanted to leave it as it because of nostalgic reasons, I even have the same desktop case like in my first PC.

Last edited by Tomek TRV on 2023-03-09, 15:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 11, by Tomek TRV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think that this module which is working is FPM - because it is 70ns. In my opinion the problem is not FPM or EDO module because, as I wrote before, when I install 2 the same modules motherboard still see only 4MB. I remember that in my first computer, many ears ago I tried many types of SIMMs and none of them wanted to work. I think that Highscreen did some changes in BIOS. Maybe somebody can confirm it?

Reply 3 of 11, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tomek TRV wrote on 2023-03-09, 15:31:

I think that this module which is working is FPM - because it is 70ns. In my opinion the problem is not FPM or EDO module because, as I wrote before, when I install 2 the same modules motherboard still see only 4MB. I remember that in my first computer, many ears ago I tried many types of SIMMs and none of them wanted to work. I think that Highscreen did some changes in BIOS. Maybe somebody can confirm it?

Or there some scratches/contacts loss/jammes in memory lines/slots
Never see any restrictions on Highscreen PCs

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 6 of 11, by Brightraven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This board is slower with more than one SIMM module installed, so I would just get a 32MB FPM module and be done with it. I have the latest BIOS flashed, so i’m not sure if that is the case on older BIOS revisions though.

Reply 7 of 11, by Tomek TRV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So now I can say that Highscreen really did something with this BIOS because after flashing new one computer see more SIMM modules but only 4MB each and only FPM. My EDO 8, 16, 32MB modules are not recognized. I have to find some FPM bigger than 8MB but I thought that in 486 times it was not matter and all motherboards worked with FPM and EDO.

Reply 8 of 11, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tomek TRV wrote on 2023-03-09, 22:40:

So now I can say that Highscreen really did something with this BIOS because after flashing new one computer see more SIMM modules but only 4MB each and only FPM. My EDO 8, 16, 32MB modules are not recognized. I have to find some FPM bigger than 8MB but I thought that in 486 times it was not matter and all motherboards worked with FPM and EDO.

I'm going to put it how I understand it in layman's terms. The details are more complicated and several prolific posters here have explained them, and that's where much of my info comes from.

The whole point of EDO is that the memory chips don't "let go" of the bus in as many portions of the memory read cycle as FPM chips do--after all, it's "extended data out." This increases speed when the CPU is reading multiple addresses from EDO in rapid succession, if the chipset takes advantage of this by doing more aggressive timing.

Many Pentium chipsets take advantage of this to have a faster burst read cycle. Only a few very "end of the line" 486 chipsets can, specifically the SiS 496 and UM8881F, and even then it seems dependent on the particular board and the exact date code of the chipset. And it may not be any faster in benchmarks.

Even a 486 board doesn't take advantage of EDO RAM, it could still be made EDO "tolerant" to make the EDO RAM emulate the behavior of FPM RAM by temporarily disconnecting the SIMMs from the bus when the EDO feature would otherwise cause a problem. The chips even have an output enable pin but it isn't connected to the edge connector on the 72-pin SIMM. The board can get around that by introducing buffer chips between the SIMMs and the bus. But all that accomplishes is turning the EDO RAM back into FPM RAM. It doesn't take advantage of its faster speed capability. In particular, the datasheet for your VT82C496 doesn't say anything about EDO support.

It's possible that a cacheless board might be more tolerant of EDO RAM even without those buffer chips(?) -- but ultimately, I think the motivation for making those end-of-the-line 486es EDO capable was not performance but because the price of EDO SIMMs was dropping below FPM SIMMs of the same capacity because of economy of scale.

Reply 9 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree jake ! Even many early socket 4 pentiums had poor EDO support from my experience....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 11, by Tomek TRV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank You all for all the informations. Soon I will do some benchmarks. I don't have ambition to create the fastest 486. I just want it to work like it was many years ago. Especially I want to compare how fast this system will be with one SIMM module and with more, with PCI Trident 9440 and with VLB version of the same card.