VOGONS

First post, by Aui

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

I recently picked up HP Vectra from the Dump. Apart from the HDD the Computer seems to be working fine, but has a broken power switch. This switch is a proprietary design and houses green / yellow LED's for power / hdd access respectively. Above these LED's sits a small plastic switch that has fallen apart and is beyond repair. The switch was a sophisticated design and metal as well as plastic parts are broken and have come off, so I dont think its possible to fix it(pictures attached). What to do? I had no luck finding a replacement switch (or entire I/O assamblage) to buy (there are similar ones for the desktop line, but they look different) but Im also not sure where to look. I also have no idea what model this switch is is exactly. Poking some metal into the remainder of the switch does turn the computer on, but Im not sure what exactly does it and it also often switches off randomly. Any idea would be appreciated - thanks already in advance.
Aui

Attachments

• C.jpg
    Filename
    C.jpg
    File size
    104.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • B.jpg
    Filename
    B.jpg
    File size
    248.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    176.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • A.jpg
    Filename
    A.jpg
    File size
    175.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 6, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The power switch is a soft touch.. witch mens, it conects two wires (or two solder points) and thats starts the power supply.
see within the broken power switch wtich solder points it conncts and you can TEST the startup witha a metal clip, for example.
Then you can buy a reset button, square or rectangular, the one that fits better, glue it, connct the solder points in the back and adapt your system.

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 2 of 6, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This should help you , the circuit is rudimentary . Just short point A to point B . 😀

Attachments

• point A to B crap.jpg
    Filename
    point A to B crap.jpg
    File size
    187.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 6, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is standard switch with 6 pin layout. Is it a push on, push off or momentary switch?

Like this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/191674369075?hash=ite … ABk9SR_TJm9LZYQ

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 6, by Aui

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi again - just have to say "Thank You"
I learned something about PCB layout, found the right switch, soldered it in - and it just works.
This PC is a beauty...

cheers

Attachments

Reply 6 of 6, by Aui

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes - I had not thought about the possibility that the switch in that assamblage is a standard piece which is easily available (if only in large numbers - the minimum I could buy was 20 - so I have 19 left now - just in case someone encounters a similar problem 😀 and could be replaced with no problems.

The computer also houses some incredible ISA cards - I have no idea what its purpose was, but it looks like it may have powered a space station or some prehistoric AI in the past...

Thanks again for the support !

Attachments