VOGONS

First post, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had this sound card in the pile of old scrap for some time, but never really tested it.
Under close inspection it appeared suspiciously scratched. I've touched it with IPA, and the label faded away.

fake1.jpeg
Filename
fake1.jpeg
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Trying to identify what's actually was sold under the name of Yamaha I found images of cards that appear similarly sanded down and relabeled.

fake2.jpg
Filename
fake2.jpg
File size
161.4 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
fake3.jpg
Filename
fake3.jpg
File size
103.2 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Any idea what's that really is? Or is it a sound chip at all?
I could imagine faking the cache chips on early motherboards, but this one looks too badly executed.

Reply 1 of 8, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That indeed doesn’t look like Yamaha chip just based on size and shape.

I do think it’s some kind of audio chip and that is a legit cheapo sound card. Based on the shape of the chip, it could be some Opti chip or even just Analog Devices Soundport/etc. Windows Sound System chip.

It is quite interesting that they bother with these kind of fakes, YMF-7xx sound cards aren’t that expensive after all.

Reply 2 of 8, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those tiny-flimsy PCBs of those sound cards look like something made with Crystal chips... Never seen such cards with YMF chips.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 3 of 8, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote on 2023-03-10, 15:21:

Those tiny-flimsy PCBs of those sound cards look like something made with Crystal chips...

Found the Crystal card photo with exactly the same pcb. Yep, that's relabeled Crystal.

crystal_card.jpg
Filename
crystal_card.jpg
File size
28.99 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 4 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this seems weird
have you installed the card in a system? what do drivers say ? crystal or yamaha?
PCBs might look the same but the routing is what matters

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 8, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is the same thing as they did later with C-MEDIA (CMI) chips and called them Yamaha xg724 ( the chips where fake marked like this one , but the actual size was that of the CMI) . Even the cd driver was Yamaha branded , but the drivers from it were working on CMI cards and the ones from CMI cards were working on them , they only difference was how the device was listed in device manager . I had a card like this back in the day and took me a while to understand why it was not working with the original ymf724 drivers . Anyone knows this soundcard? .

Reply 6 of 8, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ItsaFake.jpg
Filename
ItsaFake.jpg
File size
31.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So, first trying the UNISOUND on it for general detection. The card is found and configured. The report is shown as:

unisound_report.jpg
Filename
unisound_report.jpg
File size
155.69 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The string read from EEPROM is "[CDC4835] OPL3-SAx" is meant to convince inexperienced user he got the Yamaha.
But see the last line - "Crystal Mixer ...". It's Crystal all right, with edited EEPROM content, and this ugly FM synthesis of CX4235 (listening to Dyna Blaster).

For the sake of test completeness I've ran the Yamaha utilities:

Attachments

• yamaha_reports.jpg
    Filename
    yamaha_reports.jpg
    File size
    171.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 8 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, these are Crystal based cards. I have seen them on ebay few times and I could immediately tell they got the wrong pinout and connectivity but it happened to match that of Crystal parts which use I2C EEPROM over µW and single 16.9344MHz crystal rather than 33.8688+24.576MHz(although 24MHz one is missing on the lowest end cards, which produces some problems like wrong 32 and 48KHz sample rate).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜