VOGONS

First post, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I have quite a delicate issue:

Computer 486 Dell works:
1) with Cirrus Logic and Tseng on monitor A (14'' Microscan 4G ADI)
2) with Cirrus Logic, but not with Tseng on Monitor B (14'' Dell monitor)

I just fixed the VGA cable on Dell monitor. The PCB has R,G,B and V,H + grounding pins on PCB only. This monitor works on Cirrus Logic, but on Tseng it shows BIOS POST text, but it is out of sync. It seems only vertical sync is the issue. Is there something special on Tseng VLB? It should work on any VGA monitor. It does not use any advanced VESA stuff, right?

Reply 1 of 14, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

GPU is Tseng ET4000/W32P for VLB

Some info I found: https://archive.org/details/tseng-labs-et4000 … age/n9/mode/2up ...I am not using any Monitor ID pins on VGA on monitor that is not working (I simply cut the wires inside the cable) ....does this Tseng need something more than R,G,B,V,H ?

Reply 5 of 14, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

KVM identifies monitor type?
VLB (~1992-93) was on the cusp of EDID/DDC (1994) so not that, before DDC pins identified monitor capabilities https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Data_Ch … l#Physical_link

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 14, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The monitor is old analog VGA only, 640x480, no 800x600. KVM does not identify monitor because monitor does not have DDC. I tried two Aten KVM's. One very old for AT DIN - 4 ports and one modern USB - 8 ports, both allow the monitor to sync properly. Monitor has only RGB,VH pins connected to VGA cable.

Reply 7 of 14, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry. I meant KVM identifies itself as some type of monitor, and Tseng might not like floating identify pins. Just a theory. Check KVM output identity pins with multimeter, or open it up

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 8 of 14, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This J101 connector goes to PCB board on monitor. The PCB connector has labels:
T H V B G R.

The "T" has offset position, perhaps it is a label of connector itself and does not have any meaning.

All others H V B G R always contain two pins. One for signal, one for ground. At least that is the assumption. The pins between H and V do have different colours and might not be ground actualy, although I read that H and V sync always have ground as well.

I will measure KVM VGA pins, for sure.

But is there any way how to identify these pins on the monitor? Backplane of monitor says: Model: VC-2EN, Made in Singapore, Dell Corporation, 1992. and states both 50/60Hz.

Orange = H Sync
Blue = V Sync

Not sure about other colours. I guess it does not have any standard, so I connect all of them to GND of VGA cable.

Attachments

Last edited by cyberluke on 2023-03-11, 22:51. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 9 of 14, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-03-11, 22:36:

Sorry. I meant KVM identifies itself as some type of monitor, and Tseng might not like floating identify pins. Just a theory. Check KVM output identity pins with multimeter, or open it up

edited my answer regarding connection to the monitor

Reply 10 of 14, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Data_Ch … l#Physical_link
ID2 (pin 4) ID0 (pin 11) ID1 (pin 12)
https://pinouts.ru/Video/VGA15.shtml

Reply 11 of 14, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I understand. This monitor is color and does not support 1024x768. I will need to somehow identify its pins on PCB while it is being powered on...maybe I did something wrong because it won't switch to 800x600, which is VGA standard. Maybe Blue should not be V Sync....but I did measure it.

Reply 12 of 14, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you dont need to identify any pins on the pcb. btw 800x600 is not standard VGA, 640x480 (720×400) is max early monitors supported, or rather 31KHz.
take a multimeter and measure resistance between pin 11 and the metal shield on monitors VGA connector
or even better measure all 4 11 12 on the working monitor and compare to not working one

Reply 13 of 14, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got it. I took monitor from scrape yard and it had VGA connector cut. I can only guess which wire is 4, 11, 12 pin 😁 ...but I will try something else. Thank you!