VOGONS

I need help.

Topic actions

First post, by SonicTopaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found a Pentium III dual board, Dell Poweredge 1650. I need a good build example and some cases I could use.

Reply 1 of 8, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi.

If the pictures I found online are correct, it is a server board.
Not sure that the form factor is ATX compatible.
There may be a pci slot on a riser.
You can probably install Windows XP. Any Dos / W9x / Me will only use une cpu.
A PCI graphics card will allow you to run some games, but the servers boards does not have sounds cards. (You can use a USB sound cards if the PCI slot is used).

I have a similar dual P3 system, but with an ATX compatible board. Paired with a Quadro NVS280 (GeForce FX5500) and a USB creative sound card.
It can run HL2 quite well.

But i hardly find a gaming use for a dual P3 systems. Period correct games can't use two CPUs..

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 3 of 8, by SonicTopaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-03-11, 11:33:

Just sell it. I don't think there is any good build examples outside of its original general purpose.

I found it for cheap. I'm not selling it. PIII dual boards seem costly sometimes so I'm lucky.

Reply 5 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The motherboard came out of a Dell 2U case which is proprietary. No cases other than the original will work.

Not sure clear about the power hookup either as the pictures I saw look like an ATX connector but the wire colors are not the same.

You are also going to run into issues if you don't have the original fans or compatible fans as the board will complain about missing or faulty fans.

Looks like it should have a 2 slot PCI riser.. possibly 64-bit.

Also looks like the front control panel hooks up via a flat ribbon cable.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 8, by SonicTopaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-03-11, 22:36:

You are also going to run into issues if you don't have the original fans or compatible fans as the board will complain about missing or faulty fans.

No original fans... 🙁

Reply 7 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes special PSU and It takes a special "backup" battery too, a Dell 1K178 . If it does not have the two VRM's the board is useless....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 8, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SonicTopaz wrote on 2023-03-11, 22:26:
RandomStranger wrote on 2023-03-11, 11:33:

Just sell it. I don't think there is any good build examples outside of its original general purpose.

I found it for cheap. I'm not selling it. PIII dual boards seem costly sometimes so I'm lucky.

Are they that expensive? Outside a few sought-after “halo” boards, if you are willing to forgo an AGP slot (as you seem to be with the server board) there are a number for sale on UK eBay alone that are £60 or under. I’d imagine looking further afield would yield an even cheaper selection.

I’d not entertain the idea of trying to build around a proprietary server board when ATX boards are widely available.