VOGONS

First post, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

I've been desoldering all the caps from a GA-586HX2 and an Asus P/I-P55T2P4 and they are all around 6.3V or 10V, 330uF or 1000uF and they all measure around 0.5 Ohms ESR according to my cheap Chinesium "Multi-function Tester - TC1". Some of the Asus's caps give very strange readings (either 5 Ohms ESR and WAY lower capacity or one even gets detected as a diode 🤣), so I assume they are dead. I consider the readings of that tester somewhat usable.

Now the problem: you can't really get off-the-shelf caps with these parameters, which are NOT low-ESR. Parametric search of mouser.com gives me only low ESR types as soon as I narrow down to basic things like diameter of 8mm, pin spacing of 3.5mm and 1000uF of capacity at at least 10V. Some may have like 0.16 Ohms but non of them get in the range of 0.5 Ohms ESR.

I don't really want to buy another bunch of chinesium branded caps, I guess on ebay or aliexpress or whatever one could source non-low-ESR types, but I was wondering whether any of you have replaced caps which originally weren't low-ESR with low-ESR types and what your experiences were.

I know that usually you WANT low ESR in most cases, but I also know that under certain circumstances like with some LDO voltage regulators and some types of switching voltage regulators and even more components, low-ESR caps can lead to instabilities. So I was wondering what types of caps y'all are using for recapping your boards and whether you even bothered to pay attention to low-ESR or not (I know ofc if the original ones are low-ESR, you should replace them with low-ESR ones).

Thanks!

edit: OR, are these 0.5 Ohm caps all toast in the first place and caps with that high ESR never existed? 😳

Reply 1 of 10, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On these old mainboards, without step-down regulators, you can use "general purpose" electrolytics, or Low-ESR types.
It doesn´t matter, because they are just local buffers compensating transients and doing some filtering etc.

What was the test frequency when you measured 0.5 Ohms ESR? I doubt they have low ESR like that.

The Gigabyte 586HX-2 does have a step-down regulator, so all the electrolytics behind the inductor and those around the CPU socket should be "regular" low ESR like Rubycon ZL, ZLH, ZLS.

Reply 2 of 10, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
majestyk wrote on 2023-03-11, 20:26:

On these old mainboards, without step-down regulators, you can use "general purpose" electrolytics, or low-esr types.
It doesn´t matter, because they are just local buffers compensating transients etc.

What was the test frequency when you measured 0.5 ohm ESR? I doubt they have low ESR like that.

Actually, the GA-586HX2 even has a buck PWM controller for the CPU voltage (HIP6008CB) but I couldn't find anything speaking against low-ESR caps in the datasheet.

But apart from that, I just realized that stupid me was measuring the caps with leads which added to the ESR measurement. With only short legs soldered to the caps, I measure only about 0.1 to 0.2 Ohms of ESR, so that now makes more sense.

I've bought caps with 0.045 Ohms (1000uF, 10ZLH1000MEFC8X16) and 0.075 Ohms (330uF, 25ZLJ330M8X11.5), so easily half the original value but I guess not many circuits can get thrown off by that anyway...

majestyk wrote on 2023-03-11, 20:26:

The Gigabyte 586HX-2 does have a step-down regulator, so all the electrolytics behind the inductor and those around the CPU socket should be "regular" low ESR like Rubycon ZL, ZLH, ZLS.

Nope, only three types of electrolytic caps. Two different brands 1000uF 10V and one type 330uF 25V, that's it, they're all the same and they measure all around 0.1-0.2 Ohms ESR with my cheap device which I have no idea which frequency it uses to measure ESR 🤣

Reply 3 of 10, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

- Chemicon
- Kemet
- Nichicon
- Panasonic
- Rubycon
- Vishay
Any of these brands have standard and low-ESR capacitors and they are good . You can pick according to price / availability in your area . I tend to stick with the original layout of the board (replace standard with standard and low ESR with low ESR ) but if i have standards in the buck converters (VRM's) output i replace them with low ESR .

Reply 4 of 10, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you really want standard 1000uF/10V caps with 8mm diameter you can get these Rubycons from mouser (PX series):

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Rubycon/ … RaDtDdz0Q%3D%3D

You can also get Chemi-con LXZ or Panasonic FC, which are low ESR but not so low as to cause any issues.

If possible, try to source datasheets for the original caps, that will allow you to determine whether they are low ESR or not. Those chinese ESR meters are not very reliable I think.

Reply 5 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

those Chinese meters are on point, measuring esr is not rocket science.
I wouldnt bother with any expensive special caps for socket 7, CPUs maxed out under 20W back then. Random $0.1 Elite caps will outlive you or your passion for retro 😀

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ESR depends on uF and voltage and ESR is measured with 120Hz frequency if otherwise stated in the datasheet of given capacitors. In Vcore and Vio planes, they have to be low esr regardless, *not* general purpose. A good esr of 330uF is about .2 or so for 6.3V to 10V. As uF goes up eg 470uF and up eg your example 1000uF, the good ESR goes down is a rule to look for, 6.3V and 4V are good subs and should be less than ESR of 0.1 to 0.05.

I was working with motherboard capacitors for repair and know what they should be. As you parallel 2 or more, in that power plane, ESR goes lower, current ripple rating goes up, ESR/n where number of capacitors of like.

Low esr is a requirement on pentium and later due to need for high current ripple rating which low ESR capacitors are built for.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 7 of 10, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nemail wrote on 2023-03-11, 20:15:

but I also know that under certain circumstances like with some LDO voltage regulators and some types of switching voltage regulators and even more components, low-ESR caps can lead to instabilities.

It came from audiophiles. LDOs at low currents with LOWESR capacitors lead to an increase in noise, sometimes by 10 dB or more.
In power circuits, a low-resistance load serves as a damper that disrupts ringing.
The voltage ripple is equal to the sum of the noise and the product of the ESR * ΔI.
With current changes of ten amperes, noise no longer plays a role.

For yellow PCB, standard red-marked polymer capacitors are better suited - Fujitsu, Wurst, Lelon

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 8 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The range of viable cap esr value depends on the design of the regulator feedback loop and the response characteristics of the regulator itself.
https://www.ti.com/lit/an/slva115a/slva115a.pdf

High current pwm regulators will require ultra low esr caps (realistically polymers these days as ultra low esr Al-EL caps like Nichicon HN, NCC KZJ are difficult to find) to achieve decent ripple values. You see this a lot in Athlon 64 and P4 cpu vrms. You can get a lot of mileage out of gp caps like Nichicon PW for more sedate designs.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 10, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2023-03-14, 01:34:

The range of viable cap esr value depends on the design of the regulator feedback loop and the response characteristics of the regulator itself.

Re: The graphics card repair attempt megathread.
file.php?id=159502&mode=view
Stable operational area its not а dot, its big ... area.
The main rule is that the smaller the ESR - the larger the capacitance.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 10 of 10, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shevalier wrote on 2023-03-14, 05:06:
Re: The graphics card repair attempt megathread. https://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=159502&mode=view Stable operational […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote on 2023-03-14, 01:34:

Re: The graphics card repair attempt megathread.
file.php?id=159502&mode=view
Stable operational area its not а dot, its big ... area.
The main rule is that the smaller the ESR - the larger the capacitance.

Agreed, it's not a highly sensitive parameter unless you're making a huge change in cap. A close match is never wrong, but you can usually get away with a much looser approximation.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder