VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,
I have the option to purchase a brand new, in the box IBM Model M Keyboard (assembly part number 1391401).

The only concern that I have is the manufacturing date:

12-11-92

I was under the impression that the original 1984 introduction date models (up to late 1988), are *better* quality ones, unless I am mistaken.

Are 1992 manufactured models still considered *desirable* / *premium* for such big investment? (asking price is $300, and sadly it does *NOT* come with a cable, just the keyboard, the foams, and the cardboard box, all in pristine condition however)

Your insights and comments as always are much appreciated in advance!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    Filename
    01.jpg
    File size
    58.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 15, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There a 4 main types of model M
- M with grey label is probably what you are referring to. The IBM logo is square and grey. It's the first model. From what I remember, there are a few differences with the white Label midel (thicker metal backplate ?). Definitely a 80's keyboard.
- White label came after that. The IBM logo is white in an oval shape. I have two of them one from 1988 and another from 1990. So it was manufactured both in the 80' and the 90'. In term of quality, it's often regarded as the sweet spot. More available than the grey label and identical build quality.
- Blue lable are the late ones. IBM logo is blue in an oval shape. Definitely from the 90's. Made by Lexmark. They are less desirable. Quality is lower than grey and white label.
- M2. Different shape (looks like a normal keyboard). Very lightweight. Still clicky but very cheap quality. I have one. The keys gets stuck often. I use i to test motherboards, not for serious typing. 90's too.

Cables can be found onlines. At https://www.clickykeyboards.com/shop/ (great site) or sometimes at ebay. The clickykeyboards website also maintain an inventory of serial numbers. You can probably deduct the age of yours based on his data.

I'll say that $300 is higher that I would pay, but it's around the price generally asked for a new one. I found my two model M in garages sales for around 10€ each. But filthy and needing deep cleaning and disassembly.

Just an advice, if the keyboard has not been "bolt modded", you should check for the backplate /front plate bonding. It actually used some kinds of plastic rivets that tends to break. This is the only weak point of this keyboard. If you don't want to disassemble the keyboard, just shake it. The broken rivets heads tends to fall and stay inside the keyboard. If you hear small bits of plastic inside the keyboard, you should disassemble and check. (Disassembling required special tools for the screws. Not standard.)

It's a great keyboard. I use it both at home and at my work. Can't say the people in my work openspace like the loud sound very much, but it's a very good keyboard for typing.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 2 of 15, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've incidently read a lot about different Model Ms recently, and what I've gathered there is no difference at least between the white and blue labels. They are the same keyboard, IBM at some point just transferred keyboard manufacturing to Lexmark division. They were made with same tooling in same factories as they were when they were branded IBM. Only major design change during Lexmark days was that at some point they ditched the detachable cable.
And the same goes with Unicomp. When IBM quit ordering Model M keyboards, bunch of people who worked at that time first in IBM and then in Lexmark offered to buy the production equipment and rights to the Model M keyboards from IBM/Lexmark. And thus the story of model M continues to this day, Unicomp has of course introduced their improved model, but they still make and sell the classic one.

Reply 3 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The detachable cable is of questionable value anyway, since the stupid plastic retention clips always break, even when you're being careful.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 15, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CharlieFoxtrot wrote on 2023-03-12, 11:00:

I've incidently read a lot about different Model Ms recently, and what I've gathered there is no difference at least between the white and blue labels. They are the same keyboard, IBM at some point just transferred keyboard manufacturing to Lexmark division. They were made with same tooling in same factories as they were when they were branded IBM. Only major design change during Lexmark days was that at some point they ditched the detachable cable.
And the same goes with Unicomp. When IBM quit ordering Model M keyboards, bunch of people who worked at that time first in IBM and then in Lexmark offered to buy the production equipment and rights to the Model M keyboards from IBM/Lexmark. And thus the story of model M continues to this day, Unicomp has of course introduced their improved model, but they still make and sell the classic one.

I think there were a few blue labels made by IBM. These ones should be identical to the white ones.

For Lexmark ones, i don't have first hand experience with them, but I've heard that the plastic and metal backplate are thiner. (But I can be wrong)

If you're correct and the white and blue are equals, then the blue is generally cheaper and easier to find.

Anyway, the 3 flavors are all very good keyboards. Unicomp ones too.

Anonymous Coward wrote on 2023-03-12, 12:08:

The detachable cable is of questionable value anyway, since the stupid plastic retention clips always break, even when you're being careful.

Indeed the clips break easily.
There are still two advantages for détachables cables :
To replace it when damaged. And to pick the correct length (different cable length were manufactured. And not only by IBM. There are Compaq cables too)

I have two quite long cables, shorter ones would have been better. At work, the cable goes to a PS2 -> USB converter, then to a USB-C dock and to the laptop. This is a long cable with a spiral section and it is cumbersome.

Edit :

C0deHunter wrote on 2023-03-12, 08:30:
Hello all, I have the option to purchase a brand new, in the box IBM Model M Keyboard (assembly part number 1391401). […]
Show full quote

Hello all,
I have the option to purchase a brand new, in the box IBM Model M Keyboard (assembly part number 1391401).

The only concern that I have is the manufacturing date:

12-11-92

I was under the impression that the original 1984 introduction date models (up to late 1988), are *better* quality ones, unless I am mistaken.

Are 1992 manufactured models still considered *desirable* / *premium* for such big investment? (asking price is $300, and sadly it does *NOT* come with a cable, just the keyboard, the foams, and the cardboard box, all in pristine condition however)

Your insights and comments as always are much appreciated in advance!

According to Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_keyboard) your keyboard should be a "standard" IBM one (not Lexmark) but with blue label. (On the page, just look for the part number in the list)

Reply 5 of 15, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
acl wrote on 2023-03-12, 12:34:
I think there were a few blue labels made by IBM. These ones should be identical to the white ones. […]
Show full quote

I think there were a few blue labels made by IBM. These ones should be identical to the white ones.

For Lexmark ones, i don't have first hand experience with them, but I've heard that the plastic and metal backplate are thiner. (But I can be wrong)

If you're correct and the white and blue are equals, then the blue is generally cheaper and easier to find.

Anyway, the 3 flavors are all very good keyboards. Unicomp ones too.

Yeah, I have no way of confirming either way, but while I was reading about these keyboards, I bumped to a lot to to similar discussions in different forums of mechanical keyboard afficionados and general consensus seems to be that mechanically they are exactly the same, parts are interchangeable etc. So for all practical purposes, there are no differences. There are variances between the keyboards due to the nature of the keyboard mechanism, age and usage but generally there are no major design changes between them and I'd say that if you are considering buying original IBM labeled keyboard, take the one which is in better condition and cheaper. For example, AFAIK at least all white and blue label keyboards have same plastic rivets in the back plate, which are the most brittle construction weakness of these keyboards.

I got the impression that the question about the difference in quality is more or less one of these internet legends, where someone has claimed significant quality differences and it has become a fact.

Reply 6 of 15, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The part number of the model m you mention is decent.

However, spending $300 for a keyboard that you could get instead newly made for $105 (actually surprised of the inflation now, used to be cheaper, but point still being), and in a condition that isn't exactly new, and missing stuff (open box, not new), I have my doubts of why. A box that was opened missing stuff, makes me feel like it's some pilfered old stock, or the keyboard was swapped out because it had some problem and stuck in the box of the one it got replaced with. I hardly spent a cent on the model m's I have, and realize I could have even more model m's had I picked them up in the used store and still not even cracked the $300 level, from good condition, almost new, and a few not so good, but still all have been great when cleaned up. So my point here, is $300 is pretty high, and their trying to justify it saying it is new/unused, but that remains to be seen. I would say it's worth $75 due to the missing cable and open box, but I realize that it is unlikely to see these priced at that level at an auction site.

If you do get one, enjoy it. I still find them much easier to type on than the typical junk.

Reply 7 of 15, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If someone tells me that a Model M is worth $300 or even $100, I think I would ask what kind of drug was taken to believe that. I have two Model M, and they have two very serious problems for me, the first is the cable that is not easy to find, and they also ask a price for the cables that is an insult to the intelligence of whoever wants to buy it.
So I modified my two keyboards and put a normal RJ45 connector on them, and I made the AT and PS2 cables with a simple RJ45 network cable crimper.
The other big problem is that they don't support more than three keys pressed at the same time, causing keyboard buffer overflow and the well-known beeps, which makes them not very useful for gaming.
Another simple thing that bothered me is that they did not have the Windows key, normal due to its age, but very common and practical keyboard shortcuts such as the Windows key + E are lost.
But hey, luckily, everyone spends their money on what they want.
I suppose they are collector's items, but the reality is that they should have been manufactured by the millions, they are not like a painting that is unique and there is only one.
So, how much is a model M worth to me without the cable?? $10, and I would almost do the seller a favor; It does not matter if it is new, from my point of view, if it does not have a cable it cannot be new, there is no guarantee that it has never been used.

Reply 8 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CharlieFoxtrot wrote on 2023-03-12, 11:00:

Yes, Unicomp still makes them, but no, there are differences. Simplest measure was weight:

1st gen was 2.5kg, 2nd gen were 2.2kg, 3rd gen 2.06kg and 4th gen started at 2kg. That's simply less material being used per generation, mainly in the steel backplate. Thinner backplate means less rigidity and a more high-pitched sound.

Oddly Unicomp claims current Classic 104 White Buckling Spring weigh an unlikely 7lbs (=3.17kg), which if true would make them heavier than most Model F boards. I've had one Unicomp board and sadly I was not impressed: it was most definitely not over 3kg, the plastic felt light, brittle and had sharp edges. The whole thing rattled alarmingly. It felt as if they were not only still using the same molds as almost 30 years ago, but that they were not maintaining them, leading to wear and looser tolerances. I'd thoroughly recommend Unicomp for any spares for these boards, their service is absolutely top-notch, but I wouldn't get one of their new boards.

Now, differences between 2nd gen (white oval) and 3rd gen (first with blue oval) are relatively small, mainly the addition of (sometimes partial) drainage channels/holes, and the use of a flat rather than round coiled cable - and a reduction of backplate thickness.

Sources btw:
https://sharktastica.co.uk/wiki?id=modelmenhanced
https://deskthority.net/wiki/IBM_Enhanced_Keyboard
https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UNI0446

I have both 2nd and 3rd gen and prefer the slightly more solid feel of the 2nd gen, but they are the closest match between any two version.

As for the price... vintage PC stuff is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. I'd not pay USD 300 for any Model M or indeed Model F unless complete NOS. Of course I have several of both which does reduce the need for more, but I regularly see 2nd gen Model Ms go for less than EUR 150, and usually prices are higher in Europe than in the US. In fact I'm the patient 'wait for months until something I want comes by locally' kind of person and I've not paid more than EUR 100 for any of my vintage IBM boards, not even my F 122 Battleship. As always, if you are impatient, you will pay more.

Reply 9 of 15, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Its logo is definitely an oval with blue IBM logo, and he lowered the price to $200 cash.
I think it’s worth it. What do you think?

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 10 of 15, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are some images of the keyboard: I would say for $200 plus an additional $40 from eBay for the cable, it’s kind of ok.

Attachments

Reply 11 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep 3rd gen IBM Enhanced 'Model M'.

You can get them for well under USD 100 on eBay right now. This one appears new but is incomplete. I'd sooner go for the 1st gen incredibly grimy 1390131 board missing one keycap ending in a few hours currently going for USD 31. Chuck keycaps in the washing machine in a pillowcase, chuck the plastic outer casing in the dishwasher, scrub the inner bits with a toothbrush and some meths, order the missing cap from Unicomp, reassemble and you have a vastly more interesting board than that 3rd gen for a fraction of the price. In fact, I'd go for it myself if shipping + import wouldn't cost me three times the price of the board. Or the 3rd gen 1391401 board for USD 57 with a few hours to go. Also could do with a clean, but nothing missing.

Can't judge on how you spend USD 200, but even if I didn't have any Model Ms, I would choose other options than this.

Reply 12 of 15, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2023-03-12, 23:44:

Yep 3rd gen IBM Enhanced 'Model M'.

You can get them for well under USD 100 on eBay right now. This one appears new but is incomplete. I'd sooner go for the 1st gen incredibly grimy 1390131 board missing one keycap ending in a few hours currently going for USD 31. Chuck keycaps in the washing machine in a pillowcase, chuck the plastic outer casing in the dishwasher, scrub the inner bits with a toothbrush and some meths, order the missing cap from Unicomp, reassemble and you have a vastly more interesting board than that 3rd gen for a fraction of the price. In fact, I'd go for it myself if shipping + import wouldn't cost me three times the price of the board. Or the 3rd gen 1391401 board for USD 57 with a few hours to go. Also could do with a clean, but nothing missing.

Can't judge on how you spend USD 200, but even if I didn't have any Model Ms, I would choose other options than this.

+1
Unless you really want it new.

There are plenty of used keyboards a lot cheaper. They are super durable and while it take time to clean them, it's not difficult.

Or you can go for a refurbished one. Clickykeyboard (see my link in my first message) sells the same keyboard. For the same $200. But cleaned, checked, and Bolt Modded so literally indestructible. (And cable included)

(Picts of his restoration process : https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152 … 43501202&type=1)

Reply 13 of 15, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want it only to look at it, I guess it is almost free. I've seen a lot of those keyboards going to trash because of the cable and the lack of modern functionality. And the size, and a lot of people liked to take off the keycaps because it was easy and then key keycaps went to the ninth dimension 😀
After having disassembled those Model M keyboards, I don't understand what makes them so special.
I have four Acer mechanical keyboards Model Acer 6312-TW, these were very common around here, and they are as good as the model M, and they can be fully disassembled to clean them because they have standard Phillips screws and the base is also metal. And they don't have the keyboard buffer problem, and they use a simple AT or PS2 cable, depending on the model. And they have the Windows keys.
The model M has those weird 5.5 hexagonal screws and the plastic clips, and if you want to disassemble the membranes you have to cut some plastic pieces and then mod the keyboard to use screws to reassemble it.
I don't know if the newer model M keyboards were improved, but the ones I know are just normal big and heavy mechanical keyboards.

Reply 14 of 15, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for your insightful comments. I think at the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference: To me (personally), the prospect of having a brand new keyboard in a box, seemed appealing. And although I enjoy restoring retro hardware, as much as the rest of you guys, having a pristine, hassle-free, out of the box solution (albeit no cable!), justified the final decision and my purchase!

OK, with all of that behind us, what is the name/part number of the cable that I need to order for this keyboard please? (and please provide a link)

So far I have found these, but I am sure there are less expensive ones out there:

CABLE 1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234743580228?_trkpar … 7Cclp%3A2047675

CABLE 2
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234826991815?_trkpar … 7Cclp%3A2047675

Reply 15 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
C0deHunter wrote on 2023-03-13, 16:12:
Thank you for your insightful comments. I think at the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference: To me (personally), […]
Show full quote

Thank you for your insightful comments. I think at the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference: To me (personally), the prospect of having a brand new keyboard in a box, seemed appealing. And although I enjoy restoring retro hardware, as much as the rest of you guys, having a pristine, hassle-free, out of the box solution (albeit no cable!), justified the final decision and my purchase!

OK, with all of that behind us, what is the name/part number of the cable that I need to order for this keyboard please? (and please provide a link)

So far I have found these, but I am sure there are less expensive ones out there:

CABLE 1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234743580228?_trkpar … 7Cclp%3A2047675

CABLE 2
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234826991815?_trkpar … 7Cclp%3A2047675

Those are both for keyboard+mouse combos, you just have a keyboard.

As I said, for parts, Unicomp really is the place to go:
https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/1395110

Nope, out of stock and their links to alternatives are dead 🙁

Still, they do have the Y cable for half the price of those eBay auctions and confirm it will work:
https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/1398094