VOGONS

First post, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I know this is not a hardware support forum though prior ditching this mobo perhaps someone has an idea what could be wrong here.
System:
Ga-7IXE-4 rev 1.0 , Athlon 1200, 128Mb PC-100(?) or 32Mb, Diamond Monster fussion (Banshee)

Symptom: After posting it starts immediatly an alarm similar to that when the CPU overheats with a message Check for System Health! and accessing the BIOS Hardware Monitoring it hangs trying to display voltages, so it doesn't even load the complete info.
Unfortunatly don't have at hand another PSU, I do have other CPUs and memory, no idea what's going on.

Pictures and video:
https://youtu.be/YBxcLA6byes

Notice the BIOS Helth Check doesn't show the value of the -5v rail , could be the PSU? I did try this PSU in a super socket 7 mobo and seems to work. By the way voltages seems to be all over the place.
Pictures are in reverse order somewhat.

Attachments

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 2 of 5, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Had the same issues on the same type of board some time ago. In the end it turned out that the PSU was faulty and the +5V rail was unstable and too low. The crash on the HW monitor screen might be a BIOS bug, my board behaves in the same way.

Reply 3 of 5, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-03-13, 10:21:

What type of PSU do you use ? can you test the system with one that has a higher rated current on the 5v rail ?

It is a PSU formerly used with a AMD A8-7600 which tbh didn't work that well now that I remember, probably I need to find myself a proper period correct PSU.
I kind of like this mobo because it has 2 ISA slots, along with PCI and AGP, and no-nonsense on-board sound or video, it is really barebone. So I can add any ISA sound card.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 4 of 5, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vmunix wrote on 2023-03-13, 09:21:

Monitoring it hangs trying to display voltages, so it doesn't even load the complete info.

It's down to there being no -5V (almost all ATX PSUs don't have -5), most of the time it hangs, but once in a while it works.

I had the same issue so created -5 with a pair of resistors, see Re: PC crashing in BIOS help? and Re: PC crashing in BIOS help?