VOGONS

First post, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I have a slotket adapter that I'm having trouble finding a manual for. It appears to be distinct from the more common Asus S370 CPU card.

These are the markings:

• 370CPU CARD
  • 3.0(S3.1)
  • Jumper 1: JFSB (Default closed = Auto, Open = 100 MHz)
  • Jumpers 2-6: VID0, VID1, VID2, VID3, VID4 (All default to 1-2, which I assume may be "Auto", but not sure)

Another revision exists with PCB version "1.0(S1.2)", this version doesn't have any jumpers.

The adapter works fine with a 2 volt Mendocino CPU I tested (SL3A2), 66x6 = 400MHz. I next tried a known good modified/Korean 1.5 volt Tualatin (SL6C6) and my POST card just reads "----", so I think I may need to adjust the VID jumpers as I did with my other adapter. The motherboard/BIOS/VRM and Tualatin CPU all work fine, and all I'm changing is the slotket adapter, so I hope it just needs to be configured.

Does anybody know any more details about this adapter that could help my search?

Front
GVLXabD.jpg

Back
3r70ZS3.jpg

Thank you!

Reply 1 of 13, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dont think this is fcpga converter, so you might need to mod it too. As for vid pin you can just buzz jumpers to cpu/edge connector pins, Vcore table is universal

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 13, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cosmic wrote on 2023-03-14, 03:17:
Hi all, […]
Show full quote

Hi all,

I have a slotket adapter that I'm having trouble finding a manual for. It appears to be distinct from the more common Asus S370 CPU card.

These are the markings:

• 370CPU CARD
  • 3.0(S3.1)
  • Jumpers 2-6: VID0, VID1, VID2, VID3, VID4 (All default to 1-2, which I assume may be "Auto", but not sure)

Another revision exists with PCB version "1.0(S1.2)", this version doesn't have any jumpers.

The adapter works fine with a 2 volt Mendocino CPU I tested (SL3A2), 66x6 = 400MHz. I next tried a known good modified/Korean 1.5 volt Tualatin (SL6C6) and my POST card just reads "----", so I think I may need to adjust the VID jumpers as I did with my other adapter. The motherboard/BIOS/VRM and Tualatin CPU all work fine, and all I'm changing is the slotket adapter, so I hope it just needs to be configured.

Does anybody know any more details about this adapter that could help my search?

Front
GVLXabD.jpg

Back
3r70ZS3.jpg

Thank you!

Card is made by QDI, and as @rasz_pl says is (unmodified) for PPGA Celerons...only manual I know of is for the later FC-PGA version 5.0 (S5.1) - https://web.archive.org/web/20000517125148/ht … u_card_v5.1.ZIP

Reply 3 of 13, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-03-14, 04:51:

I dont think this is fcpga converter, so you might need to mod it too. As for vid pin you can just buzz jumpers to cpu/edge connector pins, Vcore table is universal

PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-03-14, 05:09:

Card is made by QDI, and as @rasz_pl says is (unmodified) for PPGA Celerons...only manual I know of is for the later FC-PGA version 5.0 (S5.1) - https://web.archive.org/web/20000517125148/ht … u_card_v5.1.ZIP

Thank you, both! I totally forgot about the PPGA/FC-PGA jumper that is present on my other adapters. Maybe I'll try modding this one to support FC-PGA in the future, I found a couple guides here on Vogons and here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210724081449/ht … lotket_mod.html

I'll be sure to post if I get it working. I was interested in this particular slotket adapter because it's green, and most are orange/amber/brown. I thought it would look cool in an all-green-PCB build. 😀

It was also interesting to learn that QDI was "QDI Group" which was associated with "Legend Group" which would eventually become part of (or related to) Lenovo.

Reply 4 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cosmic wrote on 2023-03-15, 00:59:
Thank you, both! I totally forgot about the PPGA/FC-PGA jumper that is present on my other adapters. Maybe I'll try modding this […]
Show full quote

Thank you, both! I totally forgot about the PPGA/FC-PGA jumper that is present on my other adapters. Maybe I'll try modding this one to support FC-PGA in the future, I found a couple guides here on Vogons and here:

I'll be sure to post if I get it working. I was interested in this particular slotket adapter because it's green, and most are orange/amber/brown. I thought it would look cool in an all-green-PCB build. 😀

It was also interesting to learn that QDI was "QDI Group" which was associated with "Legend Group" which would eventually become part of (or related to) Lenovo.

That mod is for FC-PGA2 which is meant for Tualatin support, FC-PGA which is Coppermine has slightly different pin outs and doesn't require as complicated a mod. (Certainly doesn't require opening the ZIF socket)

The modded Tualatin you have only requires the FC-PGA mod for the slotket as the interposer has all the Tualatin mods on it, by rights it should work in any board/slotket that supports Coppermine, I have a modded 1400 Tualeron from the same guy and I have yet to find a Coppermine board/slotket it wont work in.

Reply 5 of 13, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2023-03-15, 01:33:
Cosmic wrote on 2023-03-15, 00:59:
Thank you, both! I totally forgot about the PPGA/FC-PGA jumper that is present on my other adapters. Maybe I'll try modding this […]
Show full quote

I'll be sure to post if I get it working. I was interested in this particular slotket adapter because it's green, and most are orange/amber/brown. I thought it would look cool in an all-green-PCB build. :)

That mod is for FC-PGA2 which is meant for Tualatin support, FC-PGA which is Coppermine has slightly different pin outs and doesn't require as complicated a mod. (Certainly doesn't require opening the ZIF socket)

The modded Tualatin you have only requires the FC-PGA mod for the slotket as the interposer has all the Tualatin mods on it, by rights it should work in any board/slotket that supports Coppermine, I have a modded 1400 Tualeron from the same guy and I have yet to find a Coppermine board/slotket it wont work in.

Thanks so much for clarifying that. Yes, the plain FC-PGA mod seems much simpler. :)

I used these two resources to get a pretty good grip on the FC-PGA mod:

In short, disconnect AM2 and bridge X4 and AH4 together. I'll be practicing some soldering soon and I think I can do this mod. Will update :)

Reply 6 of 13, by kickloch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Vogons,

I got this very same Slotket lately, but I didn't dare using it as of yet. I don't know how to handle these Vid Jumper block on the right side of the card. And I also don't see, whether it is also to be used for Coppermine CPUs or solely for Mendocino Celerons. What would you suggest, how do I have to set the voltage jumpers, and why is there no Celeron/Coppermine jumper?
I would like to use it either with Pentium III or 500Mhz 2V Mendocino, depending on what's possible.

Thank you so much!

Hi all, […]
Show full quote

Hi all,

These are the markings:

• 370CPU CARD
  • 3.0(S3.1)

Reply 7 of 13, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kickloch wrote on 2023-07-25, 20:09:
Hello Vogons, […]
Show full quote

Hello Vogons,

I got this very same Slotket lately, but I didn't dare using it as of yet. I don't know how to handle these Vid Jumper block on the right side of the card. And I also don't see, whether it is also to be used for Coppermine CPUs or solely for Mendocino Celerons. What would you suggest, how do I have to set the voltage jumpers, and why is there no Celeron/Coppermine jumper?
I would like to use it either with Pentium III or 500Mhz 2V Mendocino, depending on what's possible.

Thank you so much!

Hi all, […]
Show full quote

Hi all,

These are the markings:

• 370CPU CARD
  • 3.0(S3.1)

Hi friend, I'll try to answer the best I can from memory. If there's no Celeron/Coppermine jumper that means the card may not officially support Coppermine. I don't recall if my adapter worked with Coppermine or not. I could test it but I don't have the system available for testing currently. It may still work but you would have to test.

For voltage jumpers, always look up your exact CPU model to see what voltage it requires, then set the jumpers accordingly. Overclocking the CPU will usually require increasing the voltage via these jumpers.

It's also worthwhile to identify your VRM chip on the motherboard. It's usually near the CPU socket and is usually near a bunch of capacitors. You can look the chip up to find the voltage range it provides. Many slotket/slocket adapters do not provide their own VRM (an exception is the Evergreen Technologies adapters), so they rely on the motherboard. Look up the chip on the motherboard to see if it can supply the voltages the CPU requires. If it doesn't, sometimes it's as simple as buying one that does and swapping the chip on the board.

Reply 8 of 13, by kickloch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Cosmic,

thank you for your answer. The problem with the Vid jumpers is that there's no silk screen to it explaining their setting, basically there is these 5 jumpers Vid0 - Vid4 and that's it. Only known jumper is the JFSB to the left that sets bus speed to either auto or 100 MHz.

Reply 9 of 13, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kickloch wrote on 2023-07-25, 20:09:

Hello Vogons,

This version 3.1 slotket does not support Coppermines. Some came with silkscreened voltage info on the rear side, like this one:

S31rearss.jpg
Filename
S31rearss.jpg
File size
379.93 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 10 of 13, by kickloch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh nice, thank you Parke! I was expecting such info underneath that "Celeron [...] might be dangerous [...]"-sticker as seen in Cosmic's original post, so I scrubbed it off but there was just nothing. But now I finally have it, thanks to you. Strange that there is no Coppermine support, the ebay seller I got it from claimed that he had been using it with Pentium III CPUs. I don't know, maybe he was just talking bull or he simply didn't recall correctly.

Apparently, Mendocino is the way to go then. Thank you again for your enlightening information!

Reply 11 of 13, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe your slotket is modified to support Coppermines by a previous owner. There is no harm in trying.
As far as I have seen it is so that the majority of slotkets that were manufactured up to say +/-week 45 of 1999 were not supporting Coppermines. But some that do support Coppermines out of the box may have come from production with earlier date stamps. You can find the date stamp on the rear next to the JFS8 silkscreen print.

Reply 12 of 13, by kickloch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Parke,
thanks for your reply! As far as I can see it has not been modded. Production date is week 47 of 1999. So you think nothing will be damaged if I give Coppermine a try with the default jumper settings? Right now I have it up and running with a CeleronA 500 MHz, no problems there.

Reply 13 of 13, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is possible that later productions (like week 47) were already fixed in the factory.
If the jumper settings are set correctly for the voltage of the cpu there should be no harm; it will run or it will not run.