VOGONS

First post, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am currently using a Super Socket 7 board which doesnt have any off that. It just detects it automatically.
I'd like to change now to an other board because of

upgrading from the SiS AGP chipset.

Finding a PCI Card with DVI which actually works might be extremely costly or just impossible.
There have been threads about that here: SiS 530 SS7 motherboard PCI compatibility woes
And here: PCI graphics card compatibility with SiS530 chipset
And various others.
I already bought a FX 5200 which doesnt work at all.
Bought a low End PCI Card to test now.
But then I would still need a proper card. Might buy a G4 MX440 which is close to the FX 5200, and might refuse to work as well (goes for 65€)
Then I could still try to buy a MATROX G450 for about 30€ and if that works, I might need to switch between the SIS and this GPU depending on what I want to do (DOS/Windows)
So best case: I spend another 65€ and it works (I somehow doubt it), worst case: I spend another 95€ and I am still no step further.
And I already got multiple AGP Cards lying around - if I just had the proper slot.

So I considered buying a different board with an AGP slot giving much more flexibility.
Now I know that you can only set CPU speed and multiplyer dynamically with an AMD K6 2+ or 3+, but I would like to be able to adjust these things with the BIOS at least without the need to change jumpers.
But it seems like most boards have these jumpers. In fact I haven't found a single one which doesnt have yet. Which brings me to the assumption/conclusion that it has to work even with jumpers somewhow. Will they just be "overwritten"?
Examples:

HOT-591P:
Here you set Frequency and Multiplier manually, Voltage can be set to automatic: https://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Shuttle/ … %20HOT-591P.pdf

Commate S7AX
Apparently you also set Clockspeed, Multiplier and Voltage manually: https://theretroweb.com/motherboard/manual/s7 … 70600910067.pdf

Aristo AM-954
Here as well: http://e.manualretriever.com/lect.php?ID=5204 … ecf8427e&src=15

MSI MS-5184
Same here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MS5184/support#manual

Last edited by Kordanor on 2023-03-15, 23:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just an update, as I also checked on one of Phils videos and he replied that He'd be suprised if Boards with jumpers allowed changing the speed via BIOS.

So in order to do that, I guess you need to have a jumper-free board.
The board I have states "CPU Plug and Play", but it doesnt have any AGP Slot (as it got an integrated AGP card).
But now it would be interesting to see how rare these are...Super Socket 7 boards don't seem to grow on trees in general. On Ebay are only very few, and the ones with AGP cost 100-150 already, and I didnt find any jumper free one.
The alternative would be to buy a quite expensive K6 2+ or K3+ CPU...which just overwrites the Jumper settings I guess...

Reply 3 of 10, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zeerex wrote on 2023-03-16, 00:52:

I use an FX-5200 on my SIS-530 board. But mine has a jumper to disable the onboard video. Missing that, there’s usually an option in BIOS to init first display from PCI instead of the onboard AGP.

Yeah, there is bios options. Unfortunately it wont work. Also ofc you cant even go into bios with the card inserted
Might be (as suggestied in the thread regarding the FX 5200), that the Board is not sending enough voltage to this card with an AT Power Supply. Are you using an ATX Supply? Which board are you using? (maybe its some jumper not appearing in my manual but present on the board)

Maybe I should consinder buying an ATX Supply instead.
But at this point I am also burning additional money with every new test. ^^
I now bought the lowest end PCI card to check if it works at all. If it does, then I would need to buy various other cards to see when it doesn't anymore. But as PCI cards are also rather rare later on...
If I wanted to go the save route and go for a standard Super Socket 7 Board and a K6 2+ CPU, that is about 300€. But ideally I don't want surpass that with buying stuff to test with. ^^

Reply 4 of 10, by Zeerex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It’s the BCM IN530: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/bcm-in530

My FX-5200 is one of the 64-bit low profile variety, so I can’t speak for the larger 128-bit 5200s. Yes I’m using an ATX power supply but it’s just 120W and runs it ok with a K6-III+

Last edited by Zeerex on 2023-03-16, 01:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 10, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting, thanks. So naturally you use ATX as the board doesnt support AT.
Maybe I can find some ATX supply to at least test it.

Edit: Tested with some ATX Supply, but unfortunately it makes no difference.

Will put that into the other topic over here: Using an FX 5200 for old games
So that this thread can focus on the Socket 7 Jumpers and "CPU Plug and Play"

Reply 6 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So you WANT to change your fsb, multiplier, and voltage via the bios?

Freeway ss7 motherboards have fsb setting via the bios but it is hit or miss.

It’s of course possible to do this, but I don’t know of a s5/7/ss7 motherboard personally that does all of it seamlessly in bios

If you want full manual control however, there are ways to set multiplier and voltage using a interposer. And the clockgen could be manually configured for fsb options

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 10, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The idea is that I can play different types of games without plugging off all the plugs of the monitor (which is going to stand on the desktop PC), then move the monitor away, then open the case, move my way through millions of cables and possibly even remove other parts, as in this desktop PC half of the board isn't easily reachable, then do the change, put everything together, test...repeat. That would just a massive waste of time.
I don't need to change it on the run, like you can do with K6 2+ and 3+ CPUs but, taking everything apart for a different game is just not feasible.
That interposer solution sounds complex and I can imagine that it comes with additional problems (I guess thats custom hardware?), and before I would do that, I guess I would just buy a "regular" SS7 and buy an Expensive K6 3+ CPU.

With my current Board I can switch in Bios between the normal
3.5x 100Mhz at 2.2V = 350Mhz
and
2.5x x 66Mhz at 2.2V =166Mhz
and ofc also disable internal and external cache.
It just doesn't have AGP, and the PCI seems to be useless for "newer" graphics cards (or in general, still need to test that).

Reply 8 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Abit was a big fan of SoftMenu BIOSes the SM5A had one as did the AX6L and probably others. They did become somewhat more common for early socket A, but those boards you had a master jumper on board or a "all multi selection switches off" setting where it went my the softmenu instead of jumper settings.

Not sure of what super 7 with AGP had one though, the SM5A was 430VX I think.

(Oh btw, in planning stages I have a dial-a-speed panel project, two versions planned, one with a display on a drive cover, one that's "stealth" and just uses short and long press on turbo button and active turbo display... Don't wait for me though, I move at the speed of continental drift.)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kordanor wrote on 2023-03-16, 03:43:
The idea is that I can play different types of games without plugging off all the plugs of the monitor (which is going to stand […]
Show full quote

The idea is that I can play different types of games without plugging off all the plugs of the monitor (which is going to stand on the desktop PC), then move the monitor away, then open the case, move my way through millions of cables and possibly even remove other parts, as in this desktop PC half of the board isn't easily reachable, then do the change, put everything together, test...repeat. That would just a massive waste of time.
I don't need to change it on the run, like you can do with K6 2+ and 3+ CPUs but, taking everything apart for a different game is just not feasible.
That interposer solution sounds complex and I can imagine that it comes with additional problems (I guess thats custom hardware?), and before I would do that, I guess I would just buy a "regular" SS7 and buy an Expensive K6 3+ CPU.

With my current Board I can switch in Bios between the normal
3.5x 100Mhz at 2.2V = 350Mhz
and
2.5x x 66Mhz at 2.2V =166Mhz
and ofc also disable internal and external cache.
It just doesn't have AGP, and the PCI seems to be useless for "newer" graphics cards (or in general, still need to test that).

I think your best option is a k6-2+ 570 and central tweaking unit in windows 9x

In my pcb projects there is a voltage/multiplier interposer. But I don’t think that fits what you are trying to do.

With the 2+ And central tweaking unit you can slow the system down considerably for cpu speed dependent dos/early windows games. Or speed it up fast enough for halo.

Or keep searching for a mobo with more bios control. But I’m fresh out of advice there.

You could run jumper headers to switches and mount them on a bay cover or rear io cover.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 10 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why not just wire up some switches to the jumpers?

You can put them on the outside of the case (maybe on a 5.25" bracket) and do what you want to without having to mess around inside every time.