VOGONS

First post, by e1z0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello for everyone!

I have problem with Toshiba Satellite Pro 420CDT maybe someone has similar problem or can point me to the right way. I don't touched this model for a while and it just laid down in the drawer. When i grabbed and turned it on, noticed that the keyboard does not work as expected, some buttons does not work at all some just presses themselves (after first click). Tried to replace the keyboard (own 2 of them) the same problem, ordered one on ebay, it arrived and i check it as well, the same problem and the same buttons does not work. Tried to boot from install media (do not use installed os), the same problem, the battery is removed, cmos battery is alive, tried to remove it either, the same problem. I have uploaded the video with this problem. It's really nice model, I mainly use it with DOS, it would be nice to see it working again. 🙁

https://youtu.be/5fXhYTYHv1s

Thanks in advance!

My collection: IBM Thinkpad t43, Lenovo Thinkpad r50e, Toshiba 420CDT, Toshiba T2100CS ,Compaq LTE 5100, Compaq Armada 7800, Compaq Evo N600C, Toshiba SP6000, Acer Note Light 370C, Toughbook CF-18, MaxData Pro 650T, Two PowerBook G3

Reply 1 of 6, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh that looks like fun trying to type anything in right now. Can you see if the situation changes when you plug in a PS/2 keyboard and type only on that?

The keyboard controller circuitry is located underneath the large standby NiMH battery which often leaks and damages things - so it may not be just the keyboard membranes / cables causing problems here. It looks like you may have caught it early enough that perhaps it could be got back to working, but I know Nexxen on here has had a similar problem with his Toshiba 4xxCDS/CDT and I'm not sure that's resolved yet.

Reply 2 of 6, by e1z0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are no leak from the batteries. Now i have disconnected the internal keyboard and connected external one via PS/2 after turning it on, looks like some key is pressed (the same was with internal keyboard) and sound starts beeping... https://youtu.be/10iiezaeca0

My collection: IBM Thinkpad t43, Lenovo Thinkpad r50e, Toshiba 420CDT, Toshiba T2100CS ,Compaq LTE 5100, Compaq Armada 7800, Compaq Evo N600C, Toshiba SP6000, Acer Note Light 370C, Toughbook CF-18, MaxData Pro 650T, Two PowerBook G3

Reply 3 of 6, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That electrolyte can travel far, there can be corrosion on the back of the motherboard, but from your video I can see it does look clean in the sockets so that's less likely. There could be corrosion underneath the standby battery tray, that's where I found some on the 400CDT I fixed that would show a keyboard error on boot. With that one, some of the electrolyte from the standby battery dripped onto the small square chip near the keyboard controller, which I think connects the KBC into the rest of the system: Re: Toshiba Satellite 200CDS 810 - troubleshooting and general info (KBC error - trying to solve, help needed)
Please note that I was calling it an H4044 in error possibly, it's definitely an H4066 (TC74HC4066AFT) when I check a similar board now.

The other day I had the PS/2 keyboard going crazy on a board I fixed, where I had one of the KB-CLK & KB-DATA wires shorting to ground and from bootup it made angry beeps / random key presses.
If you've got a multimeter, you could check whether the CLK or DATA pins connect to either 5v or ground:

td_libs_PS2Keyboard_pins.jpg
Filename
td_libs_PS2Keyboard_pins.jpg
File size
47.99 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

On my 400CDT, the CLK and DATA pins both show megaohms of resistance to 5v and ground, so pretty much not connected, but not completely disconnected either.

Reply 4 of 6, by e1z0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the information! I will try to completely disassemble it and check all the board for corrosion, also will take some pictures.

Reply 6 of 6, by e1z0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I checked everywhere but found no signs of corrosion anywhere

HE0YKt5.jpg
yqRvPIL.jpg
mbzbZ7L.jpg
HduvVva.jpg
uBq1VBD.jpg
cs4imnB.jpg
jsu7Ywr.jpg
ugOSxGP.jpg