VOGONS

First post, by Galacnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

Long time no see!

It's been a number of years since I've been active due to my university studies; however, I've recently been trying to get a 486 system up and running during my semester break and have been having some hard luck with a Compact Flash adaptor that I am trying to make work in place of the original 200 odd megabyte hard-drive, which blew what I think was a filter capacitor as soon as I turned the computer on after about 20 years in storage.

Everything started off going reasonably well. The motherboard (an Asus? ISA-486) is equipped with an American Megatrends Bios (version 40-0108-001292-00101111-050591-SIS-486-F) which contains no auto detection feature for hard disks.

20230319-050440.jpg

Because of this, I threw the compact flash inside my 386 system with a similar American Megatrends Bios which is equipped with an auto detect feature, and used this to get the information for my compact flash card's "geometry".

20230318-164320.jpg

For good measure I checked it against the info provided by IDEINFO.EXE. The information was a perfect match.

20230318-183327.jpg

After doing this I attempted to format the card from within the DOS 6.22 setup utility without success. (It tries to format, reaches 100% and then claims dos can't be installed)

Please excuse the German version of DOS 6.22. This was my father in law's machine originally and he's a native German speaker, hence the system has a German keyboard chip and functions best with the localized edition of DOS.

20230319-045626.jpg

When this didn't work I tried formating it with both fdisk and xfdisk, neither of which were able to help me solve my problem.

Under fdisk, after trying to delete the partition and reformat it manually, the program essentially hangs under options menu 1, showing no drive to create a partition on.

Under xfdisk, the program sees the CF card but then, after attempting a format, reaches 100% then says it was unable to create a boot sector and fails

20230319-050355.jpg

After this circus I expected that the CF adapter might be bad so I switched in a known good one from my 386 system with the same results using that adaptor. Leading me to believe the adaptor is not the issue here.

I have not tried a different CF card, as I only have one of an appropriate capacity (256mb); but, I doubt the card is the issue, as it's detected correctly on my 386 and under IDEINFO.

I'm led to believe by this behavior that there's some kind of Bios problem here but can't seem to figure out what it is or how to fix it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks I advance!
Alex

Reply 2 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can try using S0KILL to make the CF card appear as new (fresh from factory).
Maybe there's some spurious data left that messes up things for DOS..

Re: IDE to Compact Flash as MS-DOS boot drive.

Otherwise, I seem nothing wrong here. You did nothing wrong.

If you like, run CheckIt! and/or ScanDisk (surface scan) from a bootable DOS diskette.
Provided, that you can successfully format the CF card.

Good luck! 🙂🤞

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 7, by Galacnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vstrakh wrote on 2023-03-19, 10:35:

Can you make a closeup photo of your CF adapter, especially around the back side of IDE connector to show the pins soldered.

Hello Vstrakh,

Of course.

Here are some photographs.

20230319-195732.jpg

20230319-195811.jpg

20230319-195745.jpg

20230319-195800.jpg

Reply 4 of 7, by Galacnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2023-03-19, 11:15:
You can try using S0KILL to make the CF card appear as new (fresh from factory). Maybe there's some spurious data left that mess […]
Show full quote

You can try using S0KILL to make the CF card appear as new (fresh from factory).
Maybe there's some spurious data left that messes up things for DOS..

Re: IDE to Compact Flash as MS-DOS boot drive.

Otherwise, I seem nothing wrong here. You did nothing wrong.

If you like, run CheckIt! and/or ScanDisk (surface scan) from a bootable DOS diskette.
Provided, that you can successfully format the CF card.

Good luck! 🙂🤞

Howdy JO22,

Thanks for your input.

I went ahead a tried out S0Kill. It recognized the compact flash card and was able to successfully overwrite the whole thing.

20230319-200805.jpg

Unfortunately, even with the card wiped to like new Standards, the formating still failed in both XFdisk and under the normal DOS 6.22 installer.

20230319-215501.jpg

Because of this I decided to do something that I should have done yesterday. I tried to format the card inside of my known working compact flash adaptor inside of my 386 computer which I know for certain tolerates compact flash solutions. And you know what? It's having the same problem there, too!

20230319-220327.jpg

20230319-220505.jpg

This helped me eliminate my other compact flash adaptor as the culprit. I suspect that the other computer is not to blame either, now.

It appears that my compact flash card is either damaged or not compatible with DOS for some reason. There could be a problem with the card that is not apparent under normal use. It's a generic 256mb card which was manufactured by Samsung, so it could very well be a B grade card with manufacturing flaws.

I've ordered another 512mb SanDisk like the other one I have. I wanted a 256mb because it was closest to the computers original drive size; but, I'd rather play it safe at this point and get another of the exact same card which I know works.

20230319-221226.jpg

The new card will arrive in a few days time. I'll keep everyone updated on the progress.

Thank you for the help so far.
Alex

Reply 5 of 7, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see 386/486 and cf mentioned in same sentence - just to be sure Re: 386sx motherboard does not like compact flash adapter / DIP switch question

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 7, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Galacnor wrote on 2023-03-20, 02:08:

Here are some photographs.

Ok, the Cable Select option on this CF adapter is properly implemented with jumpers (don't use CS on old PCs), so the issue is not related to ALE/CSEL.

Reply 7 of 7, by Galacnor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Everyone,

The new Compact Flash card arrived and I was able to successfully format it and install MS-DOS 6.22 without issue. The system is now running as expected.

20230321-212837.jpg

It seems as if the 256mb card I was attempting to use was either damaged or incompatible with my adaptors for some reason.

Thank you for all your assistance.
Alex