VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm in the process of removing anti-glare coating from an old Sony monitor. It had already been partially removed, so just completely the process.

I managed to get most of it off with IPA and scrubbing with paper towels. Some of it was quite stubborn, so I used some plastic polish / scratch remover. This helped somewhat, but also roughed up the surface slightly. It's now a bit cloudy in those spots. I want to go further and smooth out the glass back to a mirror finish.

I've been looking into materials like Cerium Oxide powder to potentially use: https://www.amazon.ca/Cerium-Glass-Polishing- … d=30U38NWN7OVS0

I've also been wondering about using mechanical polishing (e.g. via a Dremel) versus just by hand. Up to now I've been sticking with hand polishing, since I don't want to potentially abrade the surface too much.

Has anyone used any polishes on CRT glass? Any tips or advice?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Turns out my fears of abrading the glass were unfounded. It was simply leftover residue from the anti-glare coating.

I ended up using more of the plastic polishing compound and was able to get the vast majority of it off. It's at a point where there is almost no residue left. In use, the monitor has a very clear image.

The screen is much brighter and has a more even image than when only part of the coating was missing.

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 3 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-03-21, 02:41:

which plastic polish did you go with?

It's this NOVUS Plastic Polish I got from Amazon.

I originally got it for restoring old plastics (e.g. polishing clear acrylic). Turns out it also works decently at stripping anti-glare coating.

Attachments

• Polishing supplies.jpg
    Filename
    Polishing supplies.jpg
    File size
    420.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 4 of 7, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-03-20, 19:38:

Has anyone used any polishes on CRT glass? Any tips or advice?

Never did it myself but I did see some YT videos about fixing old CRTs (TV and monitors) and some had badly scratched fronts (dump finds I guess) and had to be made more presentable somehow, so polishing was involved. Though I guess now that you are finished it's a bit of a moot point? But I wanted to ask why did you remove the coating on your monitor - weak, dark CRT, or scratches? I know removing it will improve the contrast and sharpnes a bit (so long the CRT is not so weak that the automatic white balance screws up focusing) but I find daylight glare way more annoying than anything else.

Reply 5 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deunan wrote on 2023-03-21, 11:00:

But I wanted to ask why did you remove the coating on your monitor - weak, dark CRT, or scratches?

Scratches. About 10% of the original coating was already scratched off. You can kind of see it a bit in the before pic along the top. Unfortunately I hadn't taken a better "before" pic to show the extent of the damage to the coating.

Using the monitor with it scratched up resulted in a splotchy and highly distracting looking image.

With the coating gone, glare is definitely an issue. But overall I find it the better option versus the scratched up coating.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 6 of 7, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been considering something like that on my Sony and Samsung trinitron screens. Coating scratches are annoying. But you don't see them while using the monitor. Reflective screen could be even more annoying. So I haven't done anything about it.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 7 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not worth doing if the scratches are small or thin enough to not be noticed in normal use.

I find larger patches (i.e. 1cm or more diameter ) is when it starts to become a visible distraction.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build