VOGONS

First post, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I need help with this motherboard that I am restoring. It is a biostar that had acid damage. Some of the components were toasted before I got it. It has been cleaned up and I am hoping to find someone with the same or a similar board. Looks like 1316 1320 1325 1333 and 1340 should have the same components. I need a list of what values the capacitors at c-48, c51, c65, c66, c67, c68, c79, and the diode at D3. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 11, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TimWolf wrote on 2023-03-25, 02:59:

Looks like 1316 1320 1325 1333 and 1340 should have the same components.

I have a Biostar MB-1333/40-UCQ, it looks very dissimilar in that area.

Reply 2 of 11, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You don't need another board to restore it. If you look at the layout/traces, the caps you need the value for are all connected to ground (filtering/decoupling caps) c48 , c51 and c79 are all the same and you have the value on c79 in the first pic (104) 100nF (0.1uF). For c65,66,67,68 the same, you have c67 intact in the firs pic (what was the value on it?). D3 is used for reverse voltage protection for the battery and you can use almost any type of rectifier/switching diode in that package (you have in the first pic also, starts with 1N..). Don't forget about that damaged trace that leads to R38.

Attachments

• trace.jpg
    Filename
    trace.jpg
    File size
    119.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 11, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-03-25, 13:35:

You don't need another board to restore it. If you look at the layout/traces, the caps you need the value for are all connected to ground (filtering/decoupling caps) c48 , c51 and c79 are all the same and you have the value on c79 in the first pic (104) 100nF (0.1uF). For c65,66,67,68 the same, you have c67 intact in the firs pic (what was the value on it?). D3 is used for reverse voltage protection for the battery and you can use almost any type of rectifier/switching diode in that package (you have in the first pic also, starts with 1N..). Don't forget about that damaged trace that leads to R38.

Thank you. Yes, I have not repaired traces yet, just cleaned it up and got stuff out of the way. Getting a mouser order ready, and will check all the traces and fix any at parts install. C67 was rougher than it looks. Here is a pic after first vinegar scrub down. I have some photos on my sons phone, he is still asleep, but of other angles but it didn't look ledgeable iirc.

Any reason not to use surface mount ceramics? I have some on hand already, but will buy the other style if it makes a difference.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 11, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-03-25, 13:35:

Found an image of the section on another board. Looks like C67 says 107 perhaps? The others are 47 with a line under them. I guess that is 47pf 50v? Does it matter if I use SMD ceramics for the recap?

Thanks

Attachments

Reply 6 of 11, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-03-30, 22:51:

C67 looks like a 102 without a line (107 would be to much for that shape/size), so 1nf. You can use ceramic smds.

Thank you! Now on the green resistors I think they are yellow blue green silver METAL OXIDE RESISTORS? I kept those, but I feel like anything I can replace there I should.

Reply 7 of 11, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They look more like yellow purple 'something' silver (4 ,7, 'multi','tolerance') from what i see in the first pic, if the third is green then that's 4.7 Mega ohms (they seem to be metal film resistors. Shinny surface vs metal oxide porous surface). But they are marked with L2 and L3 on the pcb so that 'green' might be 'silver' in fact, so 0.47 ohms or 'gold' - 4.7 ohms make's more sense. You can use a multimeter to check the value.

Reply 11 of 11, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-03-31, 07:54:

Yes, they look like axial inductors and i think that they should be 4.7 micro henry. https://projectpoint.in/index.php?route=produ … id=500659193531.

Thank you. Testing resistance with a multi I get intermittent results but it seems to be mostly 0.15k.