VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

During my journey with retrostuff I noticed that some motherboard are very slow and sloppy while surfing the bios and then sometimes they hang while changing options or so.
Those motherboards they just completely die some time after.

Is this a symptom of soon die stuff? What could be the culprit? The eeprom?

Reply 2 of 7, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

there are many possibilities... one could probably be the bios version is not compatible with your mother board
do you have any idea if the bios chip is the original ?
also a corrupted eprom as you say can cause those issues
can you read your eprom and compare it with a known good copy? or better yet burn a new eprom

good luck

Reply 3 of 7, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-03-28, 15:22:

>some
>some

to quote Asimov "THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER"

Well let me be more specific:
A Soyo SY-6VBA133 motherboard I came in possess years ago has always been very slow and tedious surfing the bios. I simply switched to another cpu and boom, she was dead, never came back to life, still in pile of stuff that doesn't work.

My precious Gigabyte GA-8ITX, was working reliably and now it gets slow and sloppy in the bios surfing, sometimes it hangs during post and while switching options in the bios. A couple of time while changing settings it showed very fast blinking stuff which suddenly disappeared.

The always old good solder joints are those? 😁

Nunoalex wrote on 2023-03-28, 15:27:
there are many possibilities... one could probably be the bios version is not compatible with your mother board do you have any […]
Show full quote

there are many possibilities... one could probably be the bios version is not compatible with your mother board
do you have any idea if the bios chip is the original ?
also a corrupted eprom as you say can cause those issues
can you read your eprom and compare it with a known good copy? or better yet burn a new eprom

good luck

In the first case the bios was the original, in the latter case a fresh bios version has been flashed right away.
Eeprom could be a possibility, also the motherboard has the infamous gigabyte dual bios, never understood how it worked probably because it never did 🤣

Reply 4 of 7, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm biased on this.

Have any of those boards you mention ever had their capacitors replaced ? If not, it's probably time to do so.

anyway, spurious interrupts firing can really give an annoying user experience. Cause is mostly hardware.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 7, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always thought that kind of thing was video card related. Like, the BIOS uses some video mode that certain video cards happen to be slow at. I have an FX 5200 tester card that noticeably slows down BIOS redraws when used with certain motherboards. I mean, it's not slow slow, but definitely a step below most of my other cards. It's absolutely fine in Windows.

Can't say it's ever caused any of my motherboards to hang while changing BIOS options though.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 7 of 7, by Johnylyr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This has only happened to me once on a relatively modern lenovo latop and the cause was a broken usb port with shorted pins. I straightened the pins to stop touching on another and the problem was fixed. I am not saying it is the same in your case but maybe someone else will find this information usefull.