VOGONS

First post, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i wanted to do a image of my 430cdt hard drive which went well with easyUSA than i put the image on a 6.4gb ide drive which came from one of my compaq laptops it image right over fine.

Pop it in the laptop and it just sits there on the memory counter for like 5mins than it will say non system disk or something.. Sometimes i can get in bios but it says no hdd even tho the hdd is powered on and running...

So i did a image of the stock drive again with linux this time it did it but yep same problem wont boot in the laptop.. So i took it out and put the stock one in and it booted right to windows 95 as normal....

Last thing i did was get another hdd even tho its a bigger one 20gb i know the bios cant support more than 8gbs but it resized it too 1.26gb when imageing. Pop that in same thing as the first drive sits at the memory counter for 5mins and says insert system disk...

Is there a limitation what idk kind of drives these will accept????

Unless im doing something wrong and missing something???

Reply 1 of 2, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm idk is there a better image tool i should be using? I had a bit newer toshiba from 99 with win me on it. But i wanted too see if that hdd works on it so i pop it in it booted too windows me.............

So idk why it doeisnt like the other 2 hdds cause they do work.. All i can see is maybe image not taking right somehow?

Reply 2 of 2, by gordesky1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok idk for some reason the laptop hates those 2 drives unless they are on their way out even tho seems to work fine on my windows 11 pc. I tried another 6gb hdd out of another Toshiba planning of upgrading to a higher hdd anyways for that one and after imaging it with the old drive i pop it in and yep booted right to 95... IDK has me confused 🤣..

Had another problem but i did fix it sense fat or fat 16 cant do over 2gb that was a problem for me but i made 2 extra fat partitions that are 1.95gb so i can use the full 6gb disk at least and that worked out good.

Tho over time if i want a bigger hard drive in it i probably would have too put windows 98 on it so i can have a larger partition? Do also like to do the sd card upgrade too overtime.

Tho would be nice if i could keep 95 on it cause it is a factory install too tho i guess i can switch back and forth if i go 98.