VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I'm using a Gotek now and finding issues with software on any disk image besides 1.44mb. I've taken to extracting them with winimage and then copying them onto the USB drive I use. Is there any easier way, more streamlined?

Reply 1 of 6, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If they are just a raw disk image with a header prepended or trailer appended, you could chop it off with dd. If they are compressed or otherwise more sophisticated, you could try and find a command line utility that's capable of converting to a raw image.

Reply 2 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

7zip can open and extract them, even multiple ones to same location. If the images have files with same names you can "auto rename" but if they are like disk.id then there are issues.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Speaking under correction here, but the original Gotek software merely supports the capacity the Gotek model was sold for (720K or 1,44 MB).
Sometimes using 720KB on an 1,44MB works, too, I vaguely remember.

But it's really cumbersome to use multiple 1,44MB partitions on an USB drive, anyway.
Windows NT before Windows 10 (later builds) had issues showing multiple partitions, at all. It showed the first one only, as far as I remember.

The issue with the fixed capacity was one of the main reasons as to why I switched to Flash Floppy firmware.
Edit: Here's "my story", so to say: Gotek fails floppy drive test

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 6, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use these tools to deal with floppy images:
1) open. img files with 7zip
2) rawwrite to write them on my LS-120 IDE based floppy drive in my still Haswell based main computer (i4770K)
3) HxCFloppyEmulator to prepare images for a physical floppy emulator