VOGONS

First post, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just curious who else does this, when I get ahold of a new (old) PC, I always completely disassemble everything to thoroughly clean it, including the PSU, and I figure since I'm in there I may as well replace all the fans. Most of those old fans are going on 20-25 years old or more by now and those bearings don't last forever. To me it's cheap insurance as decent fans can bet purchased for a few bucks each. Or am I overthinking it? Granted I've only had a fan fail a handful of times, but since they're so cheap I'd just rather have new ones.

Reply 1 of 12, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At best only PSU fans. Case fans get stripped altogether when I get a PC.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 12, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do, i usually want the coolest possible case for any old or new PC i have, so i usually swap fans and improve the airflow of the case itself while also adding multiple fans, it's worth it, my x1900xtx in the Core 2 duo build got 20C cooler after i optimized the case airflow, i was still puzzled by the extreme temp fluctuation after adding fans in the right spots, i even went and did tests with doom 3 at ultra to test the system at full load and i always saw the same 20 less degrees with the extra fans, i say it's worth it.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 3 of 12, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I open a power supply to inspect/clean it I make sure to lubricate the fan's bearing, and will typically do the same with case fans.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 4 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It depends on the fans and how much airflow is actually needed through the case to keep the case temps within 1-2C of the ambient temps.

And when I do replace fans, I will either use working ones I already have or buy and use high quality fans.

High quality fans are not cheap unless you find them on a great sale.

I best "cheap" fans I ever bought were the older Rosewill dual ball bearing fans. Sadly, Rosewill stopped making them and went ultra cheap.

I despise rifle style bearing fans and pretty much refuse to buy them except from specific brands such as Noctua.

The problem with Noctua fans is that they are expensive and don't have that great of airflow numbers.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 12, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-04-01, 21:05:
It depends on the fans and how much airflow is actually needed through the case to keep the case temps within 1-2C of the ambien […]
Show full quote

It depends on the fans and how much airflow is actually needed through the case to keep the case temps within 1-2C of the ambient temps.

And when I do replace fans, I will either use working ones I already have or buy and use high quality fans.

High quality fans are not cheap unless you find them on a great sale.

I best "cheap" fans I ever bought were the older Rosewill dual ball bearing fans. Sadly, Rosewill stopped making them and went ultra cheap.

I despise rifle style bearing fans and pretty much refuse to buy them except from specific brands such as Noctua.

The problem with Noctua fans is that they are expensive and don't have that great of airflow numbers.

I feel ya, lately i'm choosing arctic since the price is cheaper here in europe and the quality pretty high, noctua is for specific builds and noise levels i want to achieve, too expensive.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 6 of 12, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
iraito wrote on 2023-04-01, 21:17:

I feel ya, lately i'm choosing arctic since the price is cheaper here in europe and the quality pretty high, noctua is for specific builds and noise levels i want to achieve, too expensive.

I just bought two 5-packs of Arctic Cooling 80mm fans for $22 each and two 5-packs of 120mm fans for $29 each, so the per-fan price is pretty good. I do also buy Noctua fans for some things, but yeah they are considerably more expensive so they are used sparingly.

Reply 8 of 12, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm more of a: .... i) Check it's working good, decent air movement, doesn't sound strained, ii) if it's working good leave it alone iii) if it's not working so good oil it iv) if you've oiled it a few times and it's not lasting months any more replace it with one from the stash. v) replenish stash at intervals from allelectronics, a1-parts etc etc, never pay retail, particularly not "actual PC store" retail which is about double. I favor panaflos, I know they work and last decent. Pabst, comair rotron etc, are also on my good buys list.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 12, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

somtimes oil and still sounds like crap then I replace. Noctua is all marketing and bullshit, if you can find a cheap sunon maglev with low watt rating its superior imo. lower watts is quiter but also less air flow.

Reply 10 of 12, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Several PSU fan replacements after i had recapped these PSU's:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 11 of 12, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, if it's there and works it stays!

Of course, given the love for plastic heatsink clips around the turn of the millennium, it refuses to "stay" most of the time... Meccano-mounted (or just rested on the motherboard for testing) 1200 RPM monster 14 cm fan to the rescue!

Reply 12 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only reason I replace fans are if they are noisy or if I want to add a LED fan or 2 for a bit of colour
(don't worry. it's typically a few simple blue or whatever LED's not all out RGB craziness)