VOGONS

First post, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just wondering , does anyone know if its possible to change the transformer on a 100V Japanese FB01 to 240V Australian?

I think the power system is regional and doesn't have taps , is there any like generic transformer I could fit inside to do the job?

Thanks.

20220515_210035 (1).jpg
Filename
20220515_210035 (1).jpg
File size
1.63 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've also noticed the Australian one has this extra component which is just jumpered on the Japanese version.

diff.PNG
Filename
diff.PNG
File size
330.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 2 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is common mode filter inductor. Difference is in the primary windings for the transformer (big one). Change this is required.

Best way is replace whole thing with another power supply with same 3 voltage outputs.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 7, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You have 3 options:

- use a switching power supply that fits (in this case you can remove more things) and has the correct voltages (try to go for a 100-240v input one).
- find a transformer for the device (which fits , you can remove the 'mains input pcb' for more space) that is compatible.
- use a external 240v to 100v convertor ( you can try to fit internally a 240v with a 100v tap autotransformer in the place of the 'mains input pcb') if you want to preserve the original PSU.

I personally like the first one, but all should work.

Reply 4 of 7, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-04-02, 18:47:
You have 3 options: […]
Show full quote

You have 3 options:

- use a switching power supply that fits (in this case you can remove more things) and has the correct voltages (try to go for a 100-240v input one).
- find a transformer for the device (which fits , you can remove the 'mains input pcb' for more space) that is compatible.
- use a external 240v to 100v convertor ( you can try to fit internally a 240v with a 100v tap autotransformer in the place of the 'mains input pcb') if you want to preserve the original PSU.

I personally like the first one, but all should work.

option 2 sounds the most appealing to me because I can just swap the transformer add the inductor and leave everything else as it was , but I'm not sure where to find a compatible transformer unit.

Reply 5 of 7, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I cant find a 4x5v output transformer but, you can make a custom pcb to place it in that area, put the fuse under the power switch and the rest of the pcb use it to fit 2 pcb transformers like: one of 2x5v 3va for analog and one 2x5v 6va for digital. You have to measure and find 2 that will fit on that pcb. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-transformers/0504454 this is an example, so you can search something similar that is available in you area.

Or you can also make the pcb with the fuse much smaller and use the remaining space to fit 2 normal mounting transformers.

I see that the device is rated with 100ma for analog power so 2X5v, 2x0.5va should be minimum to be safe (100ma per output, 200ma total max power) and for the digital part is 400ma rated so you can go with a minimum of 2x5v, 2x2va (400ma per output, max 800 total power). This are the minimal ratings i recommend.

Here are some more examples :
https://ro.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-M … ntPdMG8oQ%3D%3D for analog
https://ro.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-M … z3qCfZqcQ%3D%3D for digital

Attachments

• fb01.jpg
    Filename
    fb01.jpg
    File size
    22.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 7, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-04-03, 14:57:
I cant find a 4x5v output transformer but, you can make a custom pcb to place it in that area, put the fuse under the power swit […]
Show full quote

I cant find a 4x5v output transformer but, you can make a custom pcb to place it in that area, put the fuse under the power switch and the rest of the pcb use it to fit 2 pcb transformers like: one of 2x5v 3va for analog and one 2x5v 6va for digital. You have to measure and find 2 that will fit on that pcb. https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-transformers/0504454 this is an example, so you can search something similar that is available in you area.

Or you can also make the pcb with the fuse much smaller and use the remaining space to fit 2 normal mounting transformers.

I see that the device is rated with 100ma for analog power so 2X5v, 2x0.5va should be minimum to be safe (100ma per output, 200ma total max power) and for the digital part is 400ma rated so you can go with a minimum of 2x5v, 2x2va (400ma per output, max 800 total power). This are the minimal ratings i recommend.

Here are some more examples :
https://ro.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-M … ntPdMG8oQ%3D%3D for analog
https://ro.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-M … z3qCfZqcQ%3D%3D for digital

Hey sorry for not replying I've been a bit busy , thanks for the post though ,
I didn't consider making a custom pcb with transformers , that's a pretty neat idea.
I'll look further into it and see what I might end up doing.

Reply 7 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One other option - that I did on my Roland A880 imported from Japan to EU - is to use USB.

Of course that only works if the logic board only uses 5V and the current draw is less than 2A. But if that is the case, you can just bypass the whole transformer/ voltage regulator and replace the power cord with a 2A capable USB cable which you then connect/ solder to the logic board.

A good-quality USB power adapter will be a lot more efficient than an old transformer and avoids extensive surgery or (in my case) trying to source unobtainium transformer parts.