VOGONS

First post, by eyalk4568

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just got retro speakers and I want to put them near my CRT, so I wanted to ask how do you know if the speakers are magnetically shielded?

Last edited by eyalk4568 on 2023-04-08, 18:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you look up the make/model of the speaker online?

Also, even if the speakers are magnetically shielded, they still could cause some interference with a CRT display. If you put them next to a CRT and notice discoloration happening on the edges, you'll need to move them away a bit more.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 3, by eyalk4568

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-04-07, 15:37:

Can you look up the make/model of the speaker online?

Also, even if the speakers are magnetically shielded, they still could cause some interference with a CRT display. If you put them next to a CRT and notice discoloration happening on the edges, you'll need to move them away a bit more.

The model is Altec Lansing satellite 31. I tried searching online about them and if they are magnetically shielded but I didn't find anything about it.

Reply 3 of 3, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since you already have the monitor and the speakers... just put a nice picture on (windows + notepad will do) and bring them into place, magnetic distortion is gradual (and no shielding is perfect) so either it'll be unnoticeable or annoyingly obvious 😁