VOGONS

First post, by martin778

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
I'm trying to get an old Packard Bell Easynote laptop running, according to HWInfo it's actually a NEC Versa C200 (or something very similar) running an XP-M 2500+ Barton.
The current IDE HDD is going bad, what would be a good idea for replacement? I've been looking at 128GB CF cards but these are extremely expensive and there is no space for a second HDD.

I'd like to upgrade the RAM, which is now 2x256MB SO-DIMM DDR266 to 1 or 2GB. Now it's been ages I used a socket A system, let alone a notebook so I'm curious - will it run DDR400 and downlock them to 266MHz automatically or will it refuse to boot? I know these old machines can be pretty picky.

Also, is it normal for these old beasts to ramp the fan to 100% at once, cool down and ramp up to 100% again?

Reply 1 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Depends on how the DIMMs SPD is programmed. Most have top speed and slowest speed in the SPD. DDR 333 should work with out issue but do not know if specific DDR400 will.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 5, by martin778

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will gamble on some Aliexpress SODIMM's, 333 rated.
For storage I went with a 2.5 IDE to mSATA adapter and a cheapo 256GB mSATA drive.

I actually wonder if there were any nForce2 / dual channel notebooks with AXP?

Reply 3 of 5, by martin778

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sadly the 1GB modules did not work, was getting garbage on screen and was too unstable to install XP. I noticed the chips on them (Hynix) looked more like DDR2 than DDR1 size wise.

The 2.5" to mSATA enclosure is a failure either, I can get to the point where XP copies files, then it says it needs to restart to continue installation, but it won't boot from the HDD. How weird.
I've tried different DMA modes but it doesn't make any difference.

Reply 4 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure there are not other issues with this computer ? Did it run 100% perfect with the original ram ? Maybe the original HD issues are not the HD, have you tried connecting the HD to another computer (i keep an adapter for 44 pin to 40 pin for such things).. just a thought

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 5, by martin778

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The laptop was tested working with the original RAM, the HDD worked too but it's on it's last legs with about 150 reallocated sectors.
However, I think it will be a write-off as the keyboard isn't fully functional anymore. Shame as it's almost mint on the outside.