VOGONS

First post, by dura-zell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

After a long break due to some personal stuff, I'm continuing my Retro-Journey.
My current project involves a FIC PA-2002 with a P133 on it. Can provide more details if needed / wanted but it's quite late here now.
Back to the issue at hand:
I can't get the mouse working. Not for the life of me.
- The mouse is working fine with another system
- I also tried 2 other mice

What did I try so far additionally:
- changed cards & serial port around
- tried several brackets
- tried without any card except video, disabled any onboard hardware except 1 serial port
- tried several mouse drivers (MS, CuteMouse, PMouse)
- I added an 8bit ISA IO card. The mouse works with this card but I'm unable to find the correct jumper settings (to disable the other ports on it and to configure the needed COM ports)

Now I suspect that either all my brackets don't match the correct pinout or the serial port is broken.
I'm open for any other ideas too but for now I'm looking into the pinout of the serial header but info on this is scarce. Can anyone tell me the pinout there?
I might be able to modify one of my brackets to fit.

If not: I will post some pictures of the IO card tomorrow: Maybe someone can help me to identify it / get the correct jumper settings. It looks identical to the GW451C card - but the jumper configuration I can find online does not apply 100% to "my" card.

Thanks in advance,

Dura-Zell

Reply 1 of 4, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Open the serial brackets that you have used and check if they are all the same, if so, try with the other type.

Attachments

• serial.jpg
    Filename
    serial.jpg
    File size
    26.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 4, by dura-zell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I measured them - looks like they're all the same and to make it work I would need to resolder the pins on one of these.
Either that or I can find documentation on this card (where my brackets are working):

top.jpg
Filename
top.jpg
File size
1.37 MiB
Views
File license
front.jpg
Filename
front.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license
back.jpg
Filename
back.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license

As said: It looks like a Goldstar GW451C without a model number but it has a slightly different jumper configuration. Everything I can find about it comes to to the info I can find on this page: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/io-cards/E-H/GOL … ulti-I-O-c.html - Using this Info, I configured the card for COM1 and COM2, LPT and Gameport disabled but it shows up as both COM ports using IRQ 4, not sure about the other ports yet.

I'll try a bit of trial and error about this and also will try to open the bracket without breaking it.

greetings,

Dura-Zell

Reply 3 of 4, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To open the bracket you only need pliers to unscrew the 2 screwnuts and then just pull/slide the plastic cover on to the ribbon cable. If your brackets work with that card then they should be the 'alternate pins' model which is used in 'older' cards. No point in using a extra ISA slot for something that you already have.

Attachments

• screwnut.jpg
    Filename
    screwnut.jpg
    File size
    4.06 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 4, by dura-zell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

Indeed all my brackets are what is called "a" in the picture above. I resoldered one to fit scheme "b" and now my mouse is working.
Learning something new everyday - I wasn't aware that there are different pinouts for the headers on the mainboard.
Thanks for the pointers, now I can continue my build.

Greetings,
Dura-Zell