VOGONS

First post, by Furball

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!
Does someone here know if the original Voodoo 1 Supports the Glide 3 API?
I currently don't own a Voodoo 1 myself to confirm if it does, and I'm not sure how accurate 86box is at emulating 3dfx hardware,
on the 86box VM I currently have, the 3dfx Tab in the Display Properties only mentions glide2x.dll as being a driver,
glide3x.dll despite being in the same directory as the other driver doesn't seem to be picked up.

My worry about 86box is I know that most of their CPU implementations are very accurate,
but I don't know if the same applies to their other hardware implementations.
Which leads to my conern, which is whether the Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 switch actually changes alot of the hardware emulation,
what I thought of which might not make any sense is that when i select Voodoo 2 it just pretends to the OS that it's a Voodoo 1,
and makes Glide 3 incorrectly work when it actually shouldnt, I hope this doesn't sound like a crazy conspiracy theory, but I'm asking here to be absolutely sure.

I'm planning to try making some sort of game which supports Voodoo hardware,
and I'd use Glide 2 since I know that one has to be supported
however I know that newer Voodoo hardware from what I've heard doesn't play nice with Glide 2 due to their larger memory size
so ideally I'd use Glide 3 to sidestep this issue so newer hardware works, but at the same time I want the Voodoo 1 to still be supported.

Thanks for any responses in advance!

Reply 1 of 2, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it does on real hardware.

I believe PCEm offers more robust V1 + V2 emulation.

Reply 2 of 2, by Furball

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Interesting, thank you for the response!