VOGONS

First post, by kyonthinh+

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
I got this new computer and have this problem right now. The computer has two hard drives: one 540MB and one about 480MB. The computer has on board IDE controller so I connect the 540MB and the Mitsumi CD drive to it and the 480MB drive is connecting to the Opti 924 soundcard. I wanted to put the 540MB and 480MB together onto the onboard controller however it keeps telling controller error. Is there any way I can do it? I'm using Windows 95 OSR 2.5.

Reply 2 of 8, by kyonthinh+

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-04-11, 21:35:

Did you set jumpers of the hdd's accordingly to master and slave?

I did, the main Quantum LPS is set to DS and the Seagate is set to slave. It gives me 1782 error.

Reply 4 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Be very careful. Big issue is getting two drive working especially for any hard drives that uses *cirrus logic* chip for ATA interface is *broken* in this mode. Is your Seagate has the cirrus logic?

Back in the day we see this all the time. Best solution is get rid of the Seagate and get another one that has no cirrus logic ATA interface chip. And very slow performance.

This means *all* ATA Conner, some Seagate with Cirrus Logic, and very rare few other brands that uses this as well.

Known good: Any WDAC, Seagate, Any Quantum and most Fujitsu, Maxtor, etc.

Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 8, by kyonthinh+

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-04-12, 00:13:

Try with the cable select option , also do you respect the connectors order ? end ribbon connector for master/middle connector for slave ?

I did, change the cable, respect the connector and switch the jumper or order but it just wont work.

Reply 6 of 8, by kyonthinh+

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-04-12, 00:31:
Be very careful. Big issue is getting two drive working especially for any hard drives that uses *cirrus logic* chip for ATA […]
Show full quote

Be very careful. Big issue is getting two drive working especially for any hard drives that uses *cirrus logic* chip for ATA interface is *broken* in this mode. Is your Seagate has the cirrus logic?

Back in the day we see this all the time. Best solution is get rid of the Seagate and get another one that has no cirrus logic ATA interface chip. And very slow performance.

This means *all* ATA Conner, some Seagate with Cirrus Logic, and very rare few other brands that uses this as well.

Known good: Any WDAC, Seagate, Any Quantum and most Fujitsu, Maxtor, etc.

Sorry about that.

Cheers,

Both of them dont have Cirrus Logic. I gave up on this.

Reply 7 of 8, by greblos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the Quantum LPS is to be master, but you're getting the disk error when the Seagate is configured as slave, try setting both the DS and SP jumpers on the Quantum drive.
The Seagate drive may not be asserting DASP (Drive Active Slave Present) on Pin 39, creating a conflict with the Quantum drive.

The SP jumper is only used when the second drive in a two drive configuration does not support DASP. DASP (Drive active / drive 1 present) is a CAM (Common Access Method) defined signal that indicates the presence of a second drive, DASP is used during power on initialization and after a reset. Prior to this definition, products were introduced which did not utilize this method to detect the presence of a second drive. The SP jumper is only used on the MASTER drive, with the DS jumper, when the second drive does not support DASP.

http://www.alyon.org/InfosTechniques/informat … ive_LPS270.html

Reply 8 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nevermind....I misread 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun