VOGONS

First post, by RetroAddict

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

I was recently given a time computer (uk brand for those abroad who haven't been around for years), which appears to have spent its life not in the sun and so is relatively beige in complexion! The system has an AMD K6-2 450, 128mb of ram and a FIC PAG-2130 motherboard. This board has no AGP slot - instead opting for a Via MVP4 integrated solution.

I'd like to change the board out for an AOpen MX3S, fitting a coppermine 866 cpu and a period correct gpu. The case was still used when the P3 became popular, but I don't know if I'm doing the system a disservice by removing its original board? Your thoughts would be appreciated! Perhaps I'm overthinking it!

Thank you 😀

Reply 2 of 3, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just save the original parts in a labeled box, that's what I do in similar situations.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Time wasn't exactly known for top shelf parts. They sold computers at a price point and the hardware reflected as much.
and it was typical of the day to keep the case and upgrade the insides so even then your still "period correct"

Sure an all original system is cool, if it was me I'd find a different use for the PC say 200MMX with Voodoo 1 ATX cases are easy enough to find and put he P3 in that.
But that's just me, Maybe you don't have enough space for multiple PC's or you want your P3 to look like a P3 and not a bunch of old parts in a generic modern case like me.
In which case I say it's your hardware to do with as you wish!