VOGONS

SB2230 game port dead?

Topic actions

First post, by heretic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im trying to get joystick working on my dos/win95 machine but with totally zero luck so far. My soundcard is SB16 SB2230 non-pnp. JYEN jumper is closed, all other jumpers are in default positions except the onboard amp for line-out, which is disabled. I tried both analogue and digital joysticks or game pads, neither are detected. In both DOS and WIN95. Tried to play around with bios settings of that pc but im not that expert in this subject so i reverted it all back, didn't help either.
Full specs are: P166, 32M Ram, gigabyte GA-586HX mainboard, SB16 SB2230, S3 Virge
Im giving up my hopes i'll ever play flight simulators on this machine, but i figured out i could add another soundcard (AWE64 value perhaps?) and use it for its game port only. The only question is, will it interfere with SB16 in any way? I figure that AWE64 would need to be initialized to make use of its game port for joystick. Or am i doing something wrong with my SB16?
I've got one game pad with power indicator led on it, and it goes on for one second and then goes off when i try to turn it on with a button. Said controller works fine in other machines.
Thanks for any advices.