VOGONS

First post, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a fresh install of Windows 98. I ran the setup for the Sound Blaster CT1770 in Windows which worked. I restart in DOS mode and try to run the SBBASIC.EXE to set the sound card up for DOS and it says it can't install while running Windows. Is there a different way I should be doing this?

Thanks,

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 2 of 14, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. So I just used Phil's method to restart in to DOS mode from Windows from here https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos-mode-super-easy.html. I looked at the autoexec.bat and there is no SET BLASTER line in there. I am not sure which line to put in on as it has the lines put in there by Phil to make the DOS boot option menu work.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 3 of 14, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or if you really want to use the setup,which it's not working because you use the dos drivers with ms-dos7(from your win98), you have this thread, page 2, with a workaround SB16 + sound in DOS, use the win95 driver. I know this because i have a SB16 and had the same problem and wanted the creative utilities.

Reply 4 of 14, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The attached is the AUTOEXEC.BAT as it is now.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    Filename
    unnamed.jpg
    File size
    285.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 6 of 14, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rick12373 wrote on 2023-04-20, 22:03:

Thanks. So I just used Phil's method to restart in to DOS mode from Windows from here https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos-mode-super-easy.html. I looked at the autoexec.bat and there is no SET BLASTER line in there. I am not sure which line to put in on as it has the lines put in there by Phil to make the DOS boot option menu work.

the line should look something like this, don't think the position matters:
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6

and here how to set the jumpers for your card: https://wiki.preterhuman.net/Creative_Labs_So … 6_SCSI-2_CT1770
A="AUDIO I/O ADDRESS SELECTION", I="INTERRUPT SELECTION", D="8-BIT DMA CHANNEL SELECTION", H="16-BIT DMA CHANNEL SELECTION", P=MSEL jumper. T you leave at 6. and again, loading the creative drivers is only needed in some edge case, DOS games usually come with their own audio drivers.

Reply 7 of 14, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I ran the DIAGNOSE.EXE and it detected all of the settings and I told it to update my AUTOEXEC.BAT etc after which it reboots. I then checked my AUTOEXEC.BAT and the SET BLASTER is there at the top. If I then type exit to go back to Windows 98 and then click the link that Phil's guide put there to restart in DOS mode the line is then gone from AUTOEXEC.BAT. I think the shortcut that Phils method put on the desktop is removing the line every time. How to I edit Phil's Restart in MS-DOS shortcut to keep this line in there?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 8 of 14, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rick12373 wrote on 2023-04-20, 22:51:

Thanks. I ran the DIAGNOSE.EXE and it detected all of the settings and I told it to update my AUTOEXEC.BAT etc after which it reboots. I then checked my AUTOEXEC.BAT and the SET BLASTER is there at the top. If I then type exit to go back to Windows 98 and then click the link that Phil's guide put there to restart in DOS mode the line is then gone from AUTOEXEC.BAT. I think the shortcut that Phils method put on the desktop is removing the line every time. How to I edit Phil's Restart in MS-DOS shortcut to keep this line in there?

You don't need to. It's fine. Use it

Reply 9 of 14, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-04-20, 22:54:
rick12373 wrote on 2023-04-20, 22:51:

You don't need to. It's fine. Use it

So it doesn't matter if the SET BLASTER is not in my AUTOEXEC.BAT when using Phil's restart to DOS link?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 10 of 14, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what is the deal with using that shortcut, anyway? sounds like another thing that serves no purpose except overcomplicating things.

win95/98 already has a reboot to ms-dos option in the start menu and you can put everything you need into dosstart.bat in your windows folder, so it seems like someone really tried hard to reinvent the wheel here.

Reply 11 of 14, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
auron wrote on 2023-04-20, 23:02:

what is the deal with using that shortcut, anyway? sounds like another thing that serves no purpose except overcomplicating things.

win95/98 already has a reboot to ms-dos option in the start menu and you can put everything you need into dosstart.bat in your windows folder, so it seems like someone really tried hard to reinvent the wheel here.

Yeah your probably right. It has options for what memory configuration you want, if you want mouse and/or CD etc, which is kind nice.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 13 of 14, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rick12373 wrote on 2023-04-20, 23:05:

Yeah your probably right. It has options for what memory configuration you want, if you want mouse and/or CD etc, which is kind nice.

well, i'd rather learn to write my own config files, it's arguably part of the DOS experience anyway. you can also load config.sys drivers through tools like loadsys in dosstart.bat, so that alone should cover a lot of use cases.

Reply 14 of 14, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For now I used Windows 98s option to restart in DOS mode and the edited the AUTOEXEC.BAT to have the SET BLASTER line there.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770