VOGONS

First post, by retrosalvage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

First post after stumbling back into childhood history recently since my 386/DX 40 30 years ago!

I acquired a Neoware Ca2 Thin client and my goal is to see whether I can use it as a DOS gaming machine (mostly 90's adventure games).

I would like to install an ISA sound card. There appears to be an ISA slot (Is it really an ISA slot or what kind of slot is this?) It looks so modern 😅 I attached two pictures.

I would not be able to fit anything in there due to the restricted space. What are my options for anything like a ISA riser card, ISA expansion ribbon cable? I have read somewhere that there is an official riser card for this unit but I cannot seem to find anything. Is there anything else that would work.

Thank you!
RS

Attachments

Reply 2 of 7, by retrosalvage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mscdex wrote on 2023-04-22, 14:08:
It's a special slot that carries both ISA and PCI signals (LPX motherboards use the same slot I believe) and in this case you'd […]
Show full quote

It's a special slot that carries both ISA and PCI signals (LPX motherboards use the same slot I believe) and in this case you'd need a low profile riser card like the one shown at the bottom of this page:

CA2_EON_riser.jpg

Thank you, I will see if I can source one.

Reply 3 of 7, by OldWingCommander

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good luck, I own a Neoware CA2 myself and luckily got the riser card already installed when I purchased the unit.

It’s currently running an ESS-1869F ISA sound card with no issues. If you have any questions in general about the CA2, I’m happy to answer them.

Reply 4 of 7, by retrosalvage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OldWingCommander wrote on 2023-04-23, 03:37:

Good luck, I own a Neoware CA2 myself and luckily got the riser card already installed when I purchased the unit.

It’s currently running an ESS-1869F ISA sound card with no issues. If you have any questions in general about the CA2, I’m happy to answer them.

Thank you, I see it has got a built-in Sound Blaster and settings in the BIOS. You do not perhaps know which DOS drivers I can try for DOS ?

Attachments

Reply 5 of 7, by mscdex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This machine appears to have the VT82C686B (according to the pictures on this site), which is the south bridge that handles the built-in audio. You should be able to use this VIASBCFG utility and/or make sure your BLASTER string is set in DOS (according to your "Sound Blaster" BIOS settings) to get your sound working. The chip specifically emulates Sound Blaster Pro and MIDI.

Reply 7 of 7, by retrosalvage

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mscdex wrote on 2023-04-22, 14:08:
It's a special slot that carries both ISA and PCI signals (LPX motherboards use the same slot I believe) and in this case you'd […]
Show full quote

It's a special slot that carries both ISA and PCI signals (LPX motherboards use the same slot I believe) and in this case you'd need a low profile riser card like the one shown at the bottom of this page:

CA2_EON_riser.jpg

I have been looking all over for this riser card. If anyone see something for sale, please let me know.