VOGONS

First post, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to run a dial up network server on windows 2000 server (in a VM) for my windows 98 PC to dial into over a line simulator
I can get them to connect fine usign TCP/IP
I can ping the VM hosted win2kserver and the host can ping the win98 machine on both the LAN IP for the 2k server and the DUN host IP.
However, I cannot ping anything else eg 8.8.8.8
I can access the web etc fine on the win 2k server

If I do ipconfig on win98, the gateway is the same IP as the win 98 PC's IP address which I assume is the problem?
I cannot get the gateway IP to change though.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

V4P895P3 VLB Motherboard AMD 486 133MHz
64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,
Realtek 8019 ethernet + XT-IDE bios ROM, ES1869 soundcard, VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428 1mb VGA

440bx MSI 6119, modified slocket , Tualitin Celeron 1.2Ghz 256mb SD-RAM, CF 4GB HDD, FX5200 gfx

Reply 1 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the Win2k is acting as the "router" then Win98 needs it's IP as the Gateway IP, similar as if connected direct to a router. You should be able to change the Gateway thru the Client for MS properties > TCP/IP properties iirc
other than that am clueless 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 10, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-04-24, 23:28:

If the Win2k is acting as the "router" then Win98 needs it's IP as the Gateway IP, similar as if connected direct to a router. You should be able to change the Gateway thru the Client for MS properties > TCP/IP properties iirc
other than that am clueless 😀

yeah, you'd think wouldn't you!
tried adding the correct IP to the gateway setting in tcp/ip settings but it ignores it
If you uncheck 'use default gateway' in DUN settings, ipconfig just shows the gateway entry to be blank, if you leave the box checked, it is the win 98 machine's IP.

all rather odd!

64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,
Realtek 8019 ethernet + XT-IDE bios ROM, ES1869 soundcard, VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428 1mb VGA

440bx MSI 6119, modified slocket , Tualitin Celeron 1.2Ghz 256mb SD-RAM, CF 4GB HDD, FX5200 gfx

Reply 3 of 10, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

what I don't understand is that under windows 98 and windows me on the dialling in pc, the gateway IP is always the same as the machine's IP.

This happens using both linux and windows 2000 server on the 'isp' machine that the win 9x box is dialing in to

You'd think can't be a setting on the ISP machine as linux and win2k too different to produce the same error.

It could be a 9x problem but I can't find drivers that work for WinNT/2000 for my modem (opened another thread about that)

64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,

Reply 4 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like your doing everything correct but here is a guide ...on a very slow website
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/w2kics.htm

Skip to the Win98 client part
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/icsclnt.htm

I actually ran this in the late 90's but using and old Pentium 1, NT4 and MS Proxy 2.0 sharing out my 33.6k modem connection. It worked well enough, if a bit slow 😀

edit, assuming your using DHCP? what gateway do you have set in that?

Reply 5 of 10, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2023-04-26, 11:05:
Sounds like your doing everything correct but here is a guide ...on a very slow website http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmi […]
Show full quote

Sounds like your doing everything correct but here is a guide ...on a very slow website
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/w2kics.htm

Skip to the Win98 client part
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/icsclnt.htm

I actually ran this in the late 90's but using and old Pentium 1, NT4 and MS Proxy 2.0 sharing out my 33.6k modem connection. It worked well enough, if a bit slow 😀

edit, assuming your using DHCP? what gateway do you have set in that?

Thanks - I think it must be something like the DHCP settings in the host.

The other possibility is that fact that the server machine is hosted in a VM on windows 10 (Except for when I tried linux which is lubuntu running natively)

So far I have tried the following combinations.
Client Server
Win98 WinServer2k3
win98 Win server2k
winme Winserver2k3
winme winserver2k
winXP winserver2k
winXP winserver2k3
WinXP WinXP (using 'incoming connection sharing')

They all give exactly the same result - connect but the gateway is always the same IP as the client, not the host and there doesnt seem to be any way to change it.
I can always ping the host IP addresses of the DUN server and it's IP on the LAN but no other IPs
I have to specify manually the IP range on the server (eg 192.168.32.1 - 192.168.32.5) for allocation to the client or I get TCP error on the client when I try to connect and it terminates the connection. However, whilst I can specify the IP range, there doesnt seem to be an option to specify the gateway.

If I deselect "use default gateway" on the client, the gateway field is just blank (even if I have specified a gateway in tcp/ip settings) and pings just get "destination unreachable".

With the default setting, if I do tracert 8.8.8.8 I get the the host IP on the first hop, then nothing.

I am going to try a different linux distro I think (doing to try it using a pi) and just see if that works (https://dogemicrosystems.ca/wiki/Dial_up_server)

Any other pointers as to why it doesnt seem to work with windows clients would be appreciated!!

64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,

Reply 6 of 10, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ha! Done it!!

Using a pi did the job.
Think the PC version of linux I was using didnt forward the packets properly but a fresh raspbian install worked and even had the usb modem drivers!

Interestingly, the gateway on win98 still reads as the ip of the client machine but with the pi as the server, it works.
Works in XP too
(winme is too distressing to load again, I only did it out of desperation before 😉)

Must have been either the VM or I just wasn't configuring windows server correctly (I do wonder if the VM was a good part of it though as XP didnt work either).

Thanks so much for your help.

64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,

Reply 7 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad you got it working 'somewhat' 🤣. The links chinny22 posted are how I remember setting up Win98 (had a Win2003 server decade ago and it worked). This picture is what I forgot about on the Win98 machines
and it does show the Gateway as the Host. But I also ran the server native not as a Virtual....

Attachments

• icsclt12.gif
    Filename
    icsclt12.gif
    File size
    7.53 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    win98 winipcfg
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 10, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, if you'd like to do further investigations, you can try at the command prompt:
route print

Then you can watch where the default route 0.0.0.0 directs to...

Reply 9 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So the next question why? Don't get me wrong I enjoy playing around with old server software just as much as old games as well.
I'm interested in what setup plan this is in aid of?

Reply 10 of 10, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2023-04-27, 10:32:

So the next question why? Don't get me wrong I enjoy playing around with old server software just as much as old games as well.
I'm interested in what setup plan this is in aid of?

hehe, the sheer fun of it 😀
I like to load a friend of mine's website on as many old browsers as possible or in arcane ways.
A good way of learning stuff - eg why else would I ever have played with win2k3 or learnt about routing tables in linux 😀

Only counts if loaded on real hardware.

64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,