VOGONS

First post, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Need some airflow help on a mini tower for a 98\DOS build

Running an Athlon 1 GHz that needs some air circulation bad.

I'm adding some pics but the situation is this:

The CPU is RIGHT underneath the PSU and there is pretty much no intake air path for the case.
(The intake air fan spot is blocked by the face plate and USB\headphone assembly)

Cards are going to be:
GeForce2 Ultra
Soundblaster Live
Voodoo2 12 MB

Going to be putting in a newer PSU with a side fan to help out somewhat but this case is going to be hot and crowded!

Trying to see if there are any solutions at this point other than going medieval and cutting a huge fan hole in the side panel.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Side panel.jpg
    Filename
    Side panel.jpg
    File size
    12.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • PSU.jpg
    Filename
    PSU.jpg
    File size
    45.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • CPU.jpg
    Filename
    CPU.jpg
    File size
    32.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Blocked Fan.jpg
    Filename
    Blocked Fan.jpg
    File size
    22.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 57, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, performance enthusiasts of the early noughties invented the blowhole... https://www.overclockers.com/how-to-add-a-blo … rd-cooling-too/ (That article would be later than when they originated and was intended to help less bleeding edge users catch up, so figure they were "known" on forums some time before that) then cases started coming with them.

Do you have a front fan option (bottom front) and a back fan (under PSU) option to use too?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 57, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have an unobstructed wide shot of the whole case (open)? It's hard to tell what you're working with from the provided pictures.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 57, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-04-25, 00:51:

Do you have an unobstructed wide shot of the whole case (open)? It's hard to tell what you're working with from the provided pictures.

Agree ! Your pics do not show anything of value as far as what the case has....
most all my old ATX cases had a place for front case fan and some type in rear. I see what appears as front fan but hard to tell.
Also many older ATX PSU have a air intake to front to pull hot air out of case and blow it out back. Newer ones have fan/intake on bottom and blow out back for same reason...
better pictures needed !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 57, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ATX psu with 120 mm fan(for exhaust) and free the blocked front fan (use it as a intake, maybe cut the metal so it can accommodate also a 120 mm fan), also you can cut in the bottom of the case for a extra intake but you will need to rise the case with some kind of case feet if there aren't any. For the holes you can use fan grills and filters. For more, post better/detailed pictures with the case.

Reply 5 of 57, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-04-25, 02:36:
Agree ! Your pics do not show anything of value as far as what the case has.... most all my old ATX cases had a place for front […]
Show full quote

most all my old ATX cases had a place for front case fan and some type in rear. I see what appears as front fan but hard to tell.
Also many older ATX PSU have a air intake to front to pull hot air out of case and blow it out back. Newer ones have fan/intake on bottom and blow out back for same reason...
better pictures needed !

I'll get more pics tomorrow but basically the only intake fan in the case is in the front notated by the red circle.
It is COMPLETELY obstructed by the front panel via the USB and headphone assembly, so it is basically useless.

I'm starting to seriously lean toward a side fan cut into the panel.....

Reply 6 of 57, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can get one of these fans that fit in a bracket slot:

s-l500.jpg
Filename
s-l500.jpg
File size
14 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I have two of these somewhere but I haven't used them yet myself so I can't vouch for the effectiveness but it might be worth a try. Just seach eBay for something like "System PCI Slot Blower Laptop Chassis CPU Cooler Fan" and you should be able to find them.

Reply 7 of 57, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those cases were made wirh slot cpus in mind, a lot of people had that problem when they wanted to upgrade their Pentium 2/3 slot based computers.
With the PSU on top of your CPU, more photos may help, but, if the PSU is on top of your CPU and if it is a Socket A Thunderbird like I think it is.
I only can say that the best option is another case.

Reply 8 of 57, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tomcattech wrote on 2023-04-25, 05:24:
I'll get more pics tomorrow but basically the only intake fan in the case is in the front notated by the red circle. It is COMPL […]
Show full quote
Horun wrote on 2023-04-25, 02:36:
Agree ! Your pics do not show anything of value as far as what the case has.... most all my old ATX cases had a place for front […]
Show full quote

better pictures needed !

I'll get more pics tomorrow but basically the only intake fan in the case is in the front notated by the red circle.
It is COMPLETELY obstructed by the front panel via the USB and headphone assembly, so it is basically useless.

I'm starting to seriously lean toward a side fan cut into the panel.....

The slot blowers mentioned by pan069 are OKish for a small boost to case cooling, but tend to be noisy quite at 12V and are pretty much useless if you dial them back to 5 / 7V.

First thind I'd suggest is altering the front intake / fan - cut away the front fan grill and move the fan inside the case (either the one you have or a better one with more airflow). Also might help if you could tidy your cable runs to be less obstructive of any front airflow.

Reply 9 of 57, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Round IDE cables might help a bit. But honestly I wouldn't use a case with the PSU on top of the CPU except for hardcore nostalgia (I had one with my Pentium II back then). Apart from troubles with air flow it's really a pain in the youknowwhat to change anything in there.

Reply 10 of 57, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanSolo wrote on 2023-04-25, 13:22:

Round IDE cables might help a bit. But honestly I wouldn't use a case with the PSU on top of the CPU except for hardcore nostalgia (I had one with my Pentium II back then). Apart from troubles with air flow it's really a pain in the youknowwhat to change anything in there.

+1

Reply 11 of 57, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tomcattech wrote on 2023-04-24, 23:52:
I'm adding some pics but the situation is this: The CPU is RIGHT underneath the PSU and there is pretty much no intake air path […]
Show full quote

I'm adding some pics but the situation is this:
The CPU is RIGHT underneath the PSU and there is pretty much no intake air path for the case.
(The intake air fan spot is blocked by the face plate and USB\headphone assembly)
--
Thoughts?

An option is installing something like this in one of the upper 5.25 CD-rom bays:
TITAN TTC-HDC3Hard Disk Drive 5.25 inch Bay 3 Fan Case HDD Cooler
https://tinyurl.com/mrcu98h6

You may need to trim the voltage down - these thingies make a lot of noise.

Reply 12 of 57, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More pics....

I'm definitely going to keep the case.

Worst case scenario is that the dremel comes out to make a nice mounting hole for a 90mm fan grille\screen.

That slot fan looks like a good exhaust solution.....

PARKE wrote on 2023-04-25, 15:10:
An option is installing something like this in one of the upper 5.25 CD-rom bays: TITAN TTC-HDC3Hard Disk Drive 5.25 inch Bay 3 […]
Show full quote

An option is installing something like this in one of the upper 5.25 CD-rom bays:
TITAN TTC-HDC3Hard Disk Drive 5.25 inch Bay 3 Fan Case HDD Cooler
https://tinyurl.com/mrcu98h6

You may need to trim the voltage down - these thingies make a lot of noise.

Oh, I like that....

Attachments

• side view.jpg
    Filename
    side view.jpg
    File size
    21.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Rear.jpg
    Filename
    Rear.jpg
    File size
    23.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Front.jpg
    Filename
    Front.jpg
    File size
    19.26 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 13 of 57, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That 'bracket' fan is not a good option from my experience, it's noisy and ineffective (still have one) and in your case the upper slot it's occupied by the video card so at best it can be used as an exhaust for the gpu, not the cpu. I still think your best option (if you don't want to cut the side/upper panel) is to 'cut' the front metal (where the place for the fan is) and ad internally a 120mm fan or cut in the front bottom add a 120mm, add some case feet to rise the case and use a ATX psu with a 120mm fan for exhaust and maybe use the 'bracket' fan for the gpu exhaust. I would go for another case, so i will not 'overcook' my retro parts (it's not about the way it looks, it's about the internal design).

Last edited by bogdanpaulb on 2023-04-25, 17:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 57, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If there is room to fit an intake fan between the case (in the position that the intake holes are in) it might help to drill air holes in the front panel and place a fan there. I don't know what your skills are, but that is the best position if the outtake fan(s) is at the top (ie your PSU or near the PSU)

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 15 of 57, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK so I'm going to try the following:

Going to remove the 2nd optical Drive (DVD) and move up the Soundblaster panel.

Going to put the 5.25 intake fan in the third 5.25 bay and point it down.

Going to move the diskette drive to the lower spot for more airflow.

Going to put a PCI slot fan in the rear of the case as just below the agp card.

Going to put an upgraded PSU with an internal intake\exhaust fan above the CPU cooler.

Let's see what idle and "in work" temps look after that.

----------------

If that still doesn't work the side panel has a date with my Dremel.....

Attachments

Reply 16 of 57, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Instead of dremeling the side panel, why not just leave it off entirely?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 17 of 57, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That case is definately NOT designed for any high wattage system. I quickly see two things wrongs. 1. PSU is vertical mount so cannot suck as much air out as a horizontal at top of case. 2. No extra back fan mount area. Even if the front fan was made wide open it would not allow the heat build up to escape near top where it collects. Here is a quick pic of other late 90's - early 2000's case backs designed for 1/2 decent air flow. I suggest figuring a way to do as Bitwrangler said and create a blow hole either in top mid of case or in top mid of the side panel.

Attachments

• Img_2246s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_2246s.jpg
    File size
    35.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Img_2245s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_2245s.jpg
    File size
    51.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 18 of 57, by tomcattech

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK so next issue....

I can't find a valid temp monitoring program.

All my usuals: Speedfan, AIDA32, HWMonitor ALL show 120 Celcius... (Basically it says the CPU is melting at idle.)

I know this is incorrect as Bios shows right at 50 degrees Celcius at idle.

If I run prime95 at all to see if the readout changes.... It stays right at 120.... under stress or not.

Latest Bios is on the board..... any ideas?

Reply 19 of 57, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As an option, take a PSU with a 120mm fan on the side cover.
And flip the fan on the CPU heatsink.
The CPU fan should blow in the same direction as the PSU fan.
Otherwise, they will pull airflow away from each other.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value