VOGONS

Reply 60 of 90, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
biessea wrote on 2023-05-15, 10:20:
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-05-04, 15:41:

Good, let me know when the connectors arrive.

Unfortunately these connectors even if it seems an english store, it arrives from China 🙁

So it will take a month to came to me.

As long as they arrive and are what you ordered. Mini din7 are pretty hard to find.

Reply 61 of 90, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is the pin out assuming you are looking at BOTH CONNECTORS for the adapter from the soldering part of the pins. Pin 7 will exist only on the male minidin7 connector and it's unused as also some other pins.

- wire from pin 2 of the male minidin7 to pin 5 of the female minidin6, +5v dc, use red wire.
- wire from pin 5 of the male minidin7 to pin 2 of the female minidin6, gnd, use withe/black wire and you can solder the ground pins from the picture to it.
- wire from pin 4 of the male minidin7 to pin 3 of the female minidin6, data/clock signal, use green/yellow wire.
- wire from pin 6 of the male minidin7 to pin 1 of the female minidin6, data/clock signal, use green/yellow wire.

If it's not working, reverse the wires from pin 4 and pin 6 of the minidin6 female connector.

If still not working:

- remove wire from pin 4 of the male minidin7
- solder wire to pin 1 of the male minidin7

If it's not working, reverse the wires from pin 4 and pin 6 of the minidin6 female connector.

If still not working:

- remove wire from pin 6 of the male minidin7
- solder wire to pin 4 of the male minidin7

Don't forget to turn off/on the computer after each try, so the keyboard circuitry have a chance to initialize properly.

Attachments

• minidin.jpg
    Filename
    minidin.jpg
    File size
    66.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 62 of 90, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey finally they are arrived!

I will soon do the job, I have to read and read your last post cause seems a little bit complicated to me.

I put the photo of the connectors arrived.

Attachments

• 1684942083597.jpg
    Filename
    1684942083597.jpg
    File size
    208.97 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    connectors mini din 7 pin male and mini din 6 pin female
    File license
    Public domain

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 64 of 90, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-05-24, 18:03:

Good, let me know if you need any clarifications.

Today I will do the work, I hope to have understood good.

I stamp the page with your advices so I can read while I'm soldering.

I let you know.

Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 65 of 90, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-05-17, 09:18:
Here is the pin out assuming you are looking at BOTH CONNECTORS for the adapter from the soldering part of the pins. Pin 7 will […]
Show full quote

Here is the pin out assuming you are looking at BOTH CONNECTORS for the adapter from the soldering part of the pins. Pin 7 will exist only on the male minidin7 connector and it's unused as also some other pins.

- wire from pin 2 of the male minidin7 to pin 5 of the female minidin6, +5v dc, use red wire.
- wire from pin 5 of the male minidin7 to pin 2 of the female minidin6, gnd, use withe/black wire and you can solder the ground pins from the picture to it.
- wire from pin 4 of the male minidin7 to pin 3 of the female minidin6, data/clock signal, use green/yellow wire.
- wire from pin 6 of the male minidin7 to pin 1 of the female minidin6, data/clock signal, use green/yellow wire.

If still not working:

If still not working:

Don't forget to turn off/on the computer after each try, so the keyboard circuitry have a chance to initialize properly.

Sorry Bogdan, but here you expain me only by the view of one connector; When yo usay to me "wire from pin 4 of male minidin 7 connector to pin 6 of female din connector" how can I know where is the pin 6 of the female? I have no photo and indication from you about that female connector.

Please I cannot understand what to do, I found this problem just at the start. Can you be MORE explainitive?

Sorry, I'm not confident with these things.

Love beer, too.

Reply 66 of 90, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, these are the connectors opened completely.

I put two images. I think that the image you gave me before with the pinout was wrong, I cannot find on these adaptors, they are different.

Please tell me what to do , and please give me the pinout correctly.

I'm totally in difficult, I never did this things and I don't know how to proceed.

Attachments

• 1686474186694.jpg
    Filename
    1686474186694.jpg
    File size
    533.67 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    pins2
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1686474186716.jpg
    Filename
    1686474186716.jpg
    File size
    555.55 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    pins
    File license
    Public domain

Love beer, too.

Reply 67 of 90, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
biessea wrote on 2023-06-11, 09:06:
So, these are the connectors opened completely. […]
Show full quote

I put two images. I think that the image you gave me before with the pinout was wrong, I cannot find on these adaptors, they are different.

I'm totally in difficult, I never did this things and I don't know how to proceed.

Here is the pin out, you will need 4 wires in total. Let me know if you need something else.

Attachments

• pins.jpg
    Filename
    pins.jpg
    File size
    463.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by bogdanpaulb on 2023-06-12, 01:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 68 of 90, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-06-11, 22:24:
Show full quote

Here is the pin out, you will 4 wires in total. Let me know if you need something else.

Thanks a lot, this is more easier to understand.

I will do as soon as I can now.

Love beer, too.

Reply 69 of 90, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-06-11, 22:24:
Show full quote

Here is the pin out, you will need 4 wires in total. Let me know if you need something else.

Hey Bogdan, based on that image of the PS/2 pinout that I attach, are you sure about numbers of pin you gave me before for PS/2? Cause they seems inverted. Take a look and please let me know. I don't want to mess with cables and soldering you know, it will takes me some time...

Attachments

• pins.jpg
    Filename
    pins.jpg
    File size
    463.36 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    your pinout of yesterday
    File license
    Public domain
  • ps2 pinout.jpg
    Filename
    ps2 pinout.jpg
    File size
    60.61 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ps2 pinout
    File license
    Public domain

Love beer, too.

Reply 70 of 90, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used a numbering of the pins that's easier to understand/work with, but if you want to count right and left i have nothing against it 😀. Let's analyse it, pin 4 in your picture means pin 5 which is 5v in both cases (because you gave me in this picture the pin out of the female ps2 connector from the 'holes' view), pin 3 means pin 2 which is gnd also for both. 1 and 5 from your picture means 1 and 3 which are data pins.

Reply 71 of 90, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-06-12, 09:55:

I used a numbering of the pins that's easier to understand/work with, but if you want to count right and left i have nothing against it 😀. Let's analyse it, pin 4 in your picture means pin 5 which is 5v in both cases (because you gave me in this picture the pin out of the female ps2 connector from the 'holes' view), pin 3 means pin 2 which is gnd also for both. 1 and 5 from your picture means 1 and 3 which are data pins.

No problem mate, I will use your picture, I just wanna be sure the numbers was correct, that's all.
This because soldering that small wires isn't simple and I didn't want to have to resolder them only for a misunderstood.

Thanks a lot I will do soon.

Love beer, too.

Reply 72 of 90, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anyway I take some minutes to study and understand the logic behind your post of soldering instructions and I have fully understood now.
We know where the +5v are on both connectors, we know where GND are too.
The thing is to search correctly where DATA are and where CLOCK are in the 7pin minidin connector.

Perfect, thanks.

Love beer, too.

Reply 73 of 90, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
biessea wrote on 2023-06-12, 11:44:
Anyway I take some minutes to study and understand the logic behind your post of soldering instructions and I have fully underst […]
Show full quote

Anyway I take some minutes to study and understand the logic behind your post of soldering instructions and I have fully understood now.
The thing is to search correctly where DATA are and where CLOCK are in the 7pin minidin connector.

Perfect, thanks.

Any update, did you succeed?

Reply 74 of 90, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-06-15, 19:55:
biessea wrote on 2023-06-12, 11:44:
Anyway I take some minutes to study and understand the logic behind your post of soldering instructions and I have fully underst […]
Show full quote

Perfect, thanks.

Any update, did you succeed?

Sotry I was away.

Today I am trying but I am doing lot of mess. Isn't easy to solder and I am not sure about things.

Please help; I made confusion from viewing connectors from solder point to the front.

I am not sure how to proceed. I have your hints printed but no success.

How can I be sure that the keyboard AT LEAST have power?

I am not sure it receive power too. Beacuse no light will turn on when I turn on the system.

I am really confused, please I need more help. I don't know how to proceed.

I measured with multimeter and +5v. arrive to the connector I take you a photo:

Please I need more help I'm totally out of the way.

Attachments

• 1691333003436.jpg
    Filename
    1691333003436.jpg
    File size
    392.66 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1691333003415.jpg
    Filename
    1691333003415.jpg
    File size
    191.48 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1691333003391.jpg
    Filename
    1691333003391.jpg
    File size
    304.39 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    File license
    Public domain

Love beer, too.

Reply 75 of 90, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I decided to try those connector "on the way" to not every time solder and desolder.

Anyway I am not succeeding, always the same error 8, keyboard error.

I can measure 5volts, but I see no lights on the keyboard.

It is normal?

Attachments

• 1691333956172.jpg
    Filename
    1691333956172.jpg
    File size
    479.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Love beer, too.

Reply 76 of 90, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At the moment I gave up cause I was going completely mad about that, this happens cause I am not sure what to do and expecially cause I am not understanding very well what to do.

I think I made a mess with numbers of pin, I have to clear my mind about that.

Assuming that we know in each connectors where GND and +5V is, we have to find where DATA is and where SIGNAL is.

I am not sure you wrote exactly pin numbers of the trying I have to do. So I have a lot of confusion in my mind.

There is another way to "play with those cables" without solder every time that made me become crazy?

I need another image with the corrects pin number (I used to make it progress clockwise) .

I have printed this sheet to try to help me but probably it made me more mess in my head:

Attachments

• 1691335175292.jpg
    Filename
    1691335175292.jpg
    File size
    464.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Love beer, too.

Reply 77 of 90, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Red and black can be soldered permanently, you can use the 'on the way' method for the rest of the signals, clock and data. You didn't followed the instructions, i can see from the start that the red and black wire are not connected ok on the male minidin7 (plug that goes in to the computer). Use the picture with both connectors from the bottom of your sheet and this, nothing else:

If still not working:

If still not working:

Reply 78 of 90, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bogdanpaulb wrote on 2023-08-09, 20:56:
Red and black can be soldered permanently, you can use the 'on the way' method for the rest of the signals, clock and data. You […]
Show full quote

Red and black can be soldered permanently, you can use the 'on the way' method for the rest of the signals, clock and data. You didn't followed the instructions, i can see from the start that the red and black wire are not connected ok on the male minidin7 (plug that goes in to the computer). Use the picture with both connectors from the bottom of your sheet and this, nothing else:

If still not working:

If still not working:

Hey bogdan, at the end I understood all the passage and thanks to my friend Michael I made all the tries.
Six combination of couples of wire (signal & clock).
Unfortunately this doesn't solved the problem.

Have you any other ideas for this.

Michael want me to dump the bios of ths system so we can try to understand more about that strange keyboard connector.

I don't have any idea but thank you guys every time that make me learn a lot.
I really hope to solve that problem, cause the system seems working and I can't stand to give up for a keyboard problem.

Attachments

• 1691854115164.jpg
    Filename
    1691854115164.jpg
    File size
    112.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1691854115142.jpg
    Filename
    1691854115142.jpg
    File size
    163.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1691854115118.jpg
    Filename
    1691854115118.jpg
    File size
    69.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1691854115045.jpg
    Filename
    1691854115045.jpg
    File size
    89.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Love beer, too.