VOGONS

First post, by Kneesnap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I'm doing a data recovery project with some old tapes, and because the tape drives are SCSI, I have two Adaptec AHA-2940/2940UW SCSI Controller PCI cards. This has been a several months long project involving writing custom drivers and reverse engineering firmware. But, that's not relevant.

But my problem here is about the PCI SCSI adapter. Early on, I had problems with erratic tape drive behavior. Sometimes, the drives would constantly power cycle. Usually it seemed to be during large data transfers, so I could rewind the tape just fine, but when I started to read data it would reset. Other times it would just constantly reset regardless of if the computer would send commands. Eventually I realized that if I unplugged the SCSI PCI card the issues stopped. So, I assumed the card to be defective and ordered another card. It worked great until the same issues started to surface. At this point, I tried another motherboard and was surprised to find that fixed it.

Several months passed without issue until it started happening again. I swapped the motherboard for another one and the issues have gone away again. I do not believe the tape drives to be defective because switching out two tape drives doesn't fix the issue when swapping motherboards generally is best. The issue is erratic too, some reboots it works just fine and others it doesn't. That isn't good enough for me though because (for reasons which would be a deep rabbit hole to dive into), I have to do a LOT of power cycles of the entire machine to dump data from damaged tapes.

What could be a possible explanation for needing to swap motherboards like this?

Reply 1 of 4, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure that the termination of your SCSI bus is setup properly?
I'm not sure whether the Adaptec AHA-2940UW has this check integrated, but my 19160 does. I'm not sure whether my 2940-U2W does.

Reply 2 of 4, by Kneesnap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried with "auto termination" configured as true, and I've also tried bridging the termination pins on the drive, since it's the only device connected to the PCI card. I don't think this is the problem, but perhaps I need to set "auto termination" to false.

Reply 3 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What model Tape Drive ? could be faulty cables, they can cause intermittent issues. Also if the Tape drive is a early scsi-2 you need to set the Adaptec bios speed to the device to 10Mb not 20 or 40...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 4, by Kneesnap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2023-05-02, 03:10:

What model Tape Drive ? could be faulty cables, they can cause intermittent issues. Also if the Tape drive is a early scsi-2 you need to set the Adaptec bios speed to the device to 10Mb not 20 or 40...

OnStream SC-50. It is SCSI-2 (dunno what's early), but I have tried speeds between 10.0 and 2.0, so I don't think that's entirely it.

It might be cable related, but I had two different cables this happened with. (I can't find the other cable right now to test, hmm).