VOGONS

First post, by retro.bit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

Do you have any experience with cooling systems in old Dell laptops? I've been using a D800 model as my primary machine for retro gaming for a few weeks now. The laptop is equipped with an Intel Pentium M 1.6 GHz processor, 512 MB of DDR and a GeForce4 4200 Go graphics card.. Everything is running on Windows ME.

I'm planning to do a thorough cleaning of the hardware and replace the old thermal paste. There shouldn't be any problem with the processor, but I'm not sure what to do about the graphics card cooling. There are no pastes, only thermal pads, and I have a few questions regarding this issue. Maybe someone can help me.

1. Is it worth replacing the current thermal pads if they are still quite flexible (not hard or brittle)?

2. Is it necessary to use thermal pads with the same thickness as the factory ones? From what I can see, the GPU thermal pad is about 1 mm thick. I don't have a professional caliper, but I tried using a 1 mm thick Gelid thermal pad (which I used in my PlayStation 4 Pro) and it seems to fit roughly. I assume there's a 0.5 mm thick pad on the memory. I planned to use a Honeywell PTM7950 thermal pad for everything, but it's only 0.2 mm thick. Additionally, there's a special recess for the GPU in the cooling system, which probably has a thickness greater than 0.2 mm.

So the question arises: can I use the Honeywell pad, or would it be better to use Gelid GP-Extreme 1mm on the GPU and Gelid GP-Extreme 0.5mm on the VRAM?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    1.23 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 3.jpg
    Filename
    3.jpg
    File size
    645.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 4.jpg
    Filename
    4.jpg
    File size
    256.75 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 5.jpg
    Filename
    5.jpg
    File size
    283.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 6.jpg
    Filename
    6.jpg
    File size
    369.26 KiB
    Views
    File license

My YouTube channel

Reply 1 of 3, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Temalpad is the "rabbit hole" from Alice in Wonderland.
The easiest way to determine if a pad is the right thickness is to use cheap white zinc oxide thermal paste. Liquid, with a high oil content.
Smear on the chip, assemble.
Disassemble.
Look at the chip print on the heatsink.
Take other pads.
assemble. disassemble.
If the imprint is correct, assemble it on a good paste.
When you fed up 😀 , return the old ones, having previously smeared with this cheap paste .
The oil from it will be absorbed into the pad, and it will return its properties.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 2 of 3, by retro.bit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-05-02, 10:25:
Temalpad is the "rabbit hole" from Alice in Wonderland. The easiest way to determine if a pad is the right thickness is to use c […]
Show full quote

Temalpad is the "rabbit hole" from Alice in Wonderland.
The easiest way to determine if a pad is the right thickness is to use cheap white zinc oxide thermal paste. Liquid, with a high oil content.
Smear on the chip, assemble.
Disassemble.
Look at the chip print on the heatsink.
Take other pads.
assemble. disassemble.
If the imprint is correct, assemble it on a good paste.
When you fed up 😀 , return the old ones, having previously smeared with this cheap paste .
The oil from it will be absorbed into the pad, and it will return its properties.

Thanks!

My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 3, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Similar to D600, that was start of the troubles I had with Dell computers back then, then I finally sworn off the Dell except for my fully restored Optiplex 870 and couple of working donated Optiplex 990.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.