VOGONS

First post, by DoomGuy II

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The motherboard itself may not sound vintage by this point (yet), but it is in my eyes considering that I'm using it as a basis for my Windows XP retro gaming PC.

In any case, I recently ordered a PS/2 Y cable from eBay. One of these actually.

dfwbpcg-100c9054-9d01-45a7-b6ca-8a6d08397084.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2RlMGYxZmY2LTljNWYtNDM2MC05NDNiLWM4ZTYyYTkzNzhmOFwvZGZ3YnBjZy0xMDBjOTA1NC05ZDAxLTQ1YTctYjZjYS04YTZkMDgzOTcwODQuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.HlZn6Y4GMrpYD3r9Yln3ND1ICYKWO-V2NzpL8rWbFdg

Reason being is that the Z77 has a PS/2 combo port on the back (half purple/half green) that would accept a PS/2 keyboard or mouse. But considering that I could only plug in one at a time, I want to see if I can be able to utilize both on the same port. You can see it down below.

20230506_112220_by_dg410_dfwbpcc-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZGUwZjFmZjYtOWM1Zi00MzYwLTk0M2ItYzhlNjJhOTM3OGY4XC9kZndicGNjLTE0MGIyZTFhLTJlMzctNGJiOS1iNWEzLWZiN2UxMGMwOWE5ZC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.csAIO6EH_6nf8czQmSX_g9eFL1O44XMSL3kVa_ISLY4

So, I tried the PS/2 Y cable that I recently got in the mail and plugged it in. Unfortunately, I could not get both the mouse and keyboard working simultaneously. Only one or the other on the keyboard output on the Y-cable. Nothing happens on the mouse output.

However, I pulled out my HP Omnibook 4150 to test and see if the Y-cable was actually working properly. And sure enough, after plugging it into the PS/2 port on the laptop, with an appropriate mouse and keyboard into their respective ports, it actually worked very beautifully. I can move the mouse and operate the keyboard as normally.

So, I don't know what's up with my XP build at this point. Probably the fact that I need a specific PS/2 Y-cable for this to work, or if it's the motherboard itself and how it operates its PS/2 port. I am certainly hoping that it's not the latter. Because I actually looked up on how to operate the PS/2 combo port in its Y configuration prior to posting this topic and found this:

asrockps2combo_by_dg410_dfwbp6q-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9OTMwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvZGUwZjFmZjYtOWM1Zi00MzYwLTk0M2ItYzhlNjJhOTM3OGY4XC9kZndicDZxLTY1NTQyNTZiLWI2NDQtNDA2MC1hYjE1LWE4ZWYxNjZhZTExMy5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.TIIfHxhft8LZ8VrdxGM0E3r-n__yyzzLiBP_vvy_T4g

Unfortunately, as you can see, the FAQ is from 2017, assuming it's for motherboards made around that time, and mine is from 2012. I even looked into the Z77's BIOS and found nothing related to this.

Another thing to note is that I tried the PS/2 Y cable on another computer, being my more modern gaming rig with an ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero motherboard, which does have a PS/2 combo port. Same result as the Z77.

Now, I could use the USB ports for the mouse, but here's the thing. The XP build is setup in a KVM environment, along with two Windows 98 machines (Pentium III and AMD K6), and an MS-DOS machine (486). And unfortunately, the KVM I'm using will only accept PS/2 connections at most.

I tried looking up further information regarding the Y-splitter issue for my XP rig, but to no avail. I'm honestly really eager into using both mouse and keyboard into one combo PS/2 port without using a USB mouse or even any sort of conversion from USB to PS/2, if possible. So, any suggestions are welcome.

Official Website: https://dg410.duckdns.org/

Reply 1 of 12, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

About USB to PS/2 : Not every USB mouse will work with PS/2 passive adapter (it needs to be "dumb enough").
As such, not all combo ports on boards support simultaneous mouse + keyboard inputs (as you now know).

Reply 2 of 12, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DoomGuy II wrote on 2023-05-06, 15:54:

So, I tried the PS/2 Y cable that I recently got in the mail and plugged it in. Unfortunately, I could not get both the mouse and keyboard working simultaneously. Only one or the other on the keyboard output on the Y-cable. Nothing happens on the mouse output.

However, I pulled out my HP Omnibook 4150 to test and see if the Y-cable was actually working properly. And sure enough, after plugging it into the PS/2 port on the laptop, with an appropriate mouse and keyboard into their respective ports, it actually worked very beautifully. I can move the mouse and operate the keyboard as normally.

In Asrock Z77 Extreme a PS/2 is not a combo port. It's connected only to keyboard DATA (59) and CLOCK(58) signals of a SIO controller. Mouse signals (pins 57,56) are not connected to PS/2 (the pins can be used also for something else).
IMO, the Y-cable is usually for laptops.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 3 of 12, by DoomGuy II

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Roman555 wrote on 2023-05-06, 19:06:

In Asrock Z77 Extreme a PS/2 is not a combo port. It's connected only to keyboard DATA (59) and CLOCK(58) signals of a SIO controller. Mouse signals (pins 57,56) are not connected to PS/2 (the pins can be used also for something else).

You're probably talking about the Z77 Extreme3.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme3/index.asp

But I have the Extreme6, which DOES have a PS/2 combo port.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme6/

Currently using it on mine with a PS/2 mouse and it works just fine. The trouble is getting the keyboard and mouse working simultaneously with a Y-cable on the same port. And I have seen certain boards with it that can utilize a Y-splitter to make it work that way.

Official Website: https://dg410.duckdns.org/

Reply 4 of 12, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DoomGuy II wrote on 2023-05-06, 20:05:
You're probably talking about the Z77 Extreme3. […]
Show full quote

Currently using it on mine with a PS/2 mouse and it works just fine. The trouble is getting the keyboard and mouse working simultaneously with a Y-cable on that port. And I have seen certain boards with a combo port that can utilize a Y-splitter to make it work that way.

Combo means it supports mouse and keyboard on the same port, but NOT NECESSARILY SIMULTANEOUS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_port, if you will plug a mouse in to the ps2 port of this motherboard https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme3/index.asp it will not work at all. For simultaneous operation you need certain signals present on the ps2 port.

Reply 5 of 12, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you have some soldering skills, you can try running 2 wires from Super I/O chip with the data and clock signals for the ps2 mouse to the 2 not connected pins of the ps2 female plug of the board.

Reply 6 of 12, by DrSwizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Years ago when I bought a PS/2 Y cable for my Compaq laptop, the company that sold the cable had three different kinds of PS/2 Y cables; One for Compaq and two other kinds for other Laptop brands. I suppose they where all wired differently somehow(?)

Reply 7 of 12, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DrSwizz wrote on 2023-05-06, 21:06:

Years ago when I bought a PS/2 Y cable for my Compaq laptop, the company that sold the cable had three different kinds of PS/2 Y cables; One for Compaq and two other kinds for other Laptop brands. I suppose they where all wired differently somehow(?)

Generally for "PS/2 age systems", like these laptops and their docks, the only difference in the splitter is which connector is purple - the computer only supports one kind of device without the splitter (the mouse for IBMs) and the other must go on the "alternate" pins...

The "autodetecting" port already existed by then but wasn't very common, at least openly - and I'd have expected it nowadays to also support splitters but this very discussion suggests otherwise. Guess it's par for the course from manufacturers using SuperIO chips with a full floppy disk controller inside, then giving you the choice between NONE and ONLY A: 1.44M ?

Reply 9 of 12, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

exactly

no, you can see for yourself https://www.electronica-pt.com/esquema/ ... ew)-73991/ opens in https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardVie … ases/tag/9.95.0

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 10 of 12, by OldWingCommander

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You probably need to buy the correct PS/2 splitter that routes separate keyboard and mouse traffic back to a single port.

Reference this message from the weecee PC thread.

Re: Tiny Vortex86-based DOS gaming PC - weeCee

Reply 11 of 12, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
You're probably talking about the Z77 Extreme3. […]
Show full quote

Currently using it on mine with a PS/2 mouse and it works just fine. The trouble is getting the keyboard and mouse working simultaneously with a Y-cable on the same port. And I have seen certain boards with it that can utilize a Y-splitter to make it work that way.

Sorry, I misused the meaning of "combo". I meant you can't use ps/2 keyboard and ps/2 mouse simultaneously in the ps/2 port. Also soldering additional wires from SIO to PS/2 won't help because a mouse signal is used in a GPIO mode
UPD. It's in Z77 Extreme4. In Z77 Extreme6 (thanks rasz_pl for the link to the boardview) the mouse signals of SIO are unconnected. So maybe adding wires will work.

Last edited by Roman555 on 2023-05-08, 07:19. Edited 1 time in total.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 12 of 12, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote on 2023-05-06, 16:29:

About USB to PS/2 : Not every USB mouse will work with PS/2 passive adapter (it needs to be "dumb enough").
As such, not all combo ports on boards support simultaneous mouse + keyboard inputs (as you now know).

Actually it has to be "smart" enough to detect the connection type, and choose protocol accordingly 😀 But yes, modern mice generally only support the USB protocol.

Assuming that the mouse OP got working with the laptop is the same that didn't work with the ASRock board, I'd also guess the problem is related to the PS/2 controller rather than the mouse, that it can't handle more than one device like you're suggesting. Maybe the mobo manual can shed some light on that?

----

An active USB to PS/2 adapter would solve the problem otherwise. I've had luck with Chesen CSC0101A based ones, like this one from Startech. The specific Hama ones I'm using seems to be out of production, but anything with the same chipset should work the same, and Startech seldom disappoints. They can handle mouse wheels, more than two buttons, etc. Be aware that old KVM switches might not though.