VOGONS

First post, by NightShadowPT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I have a 486/DX66 that I am mostly using for DOS and DOS gaming.

For convenience, I have also installed Windows 98 to be able to transfer files to a from the system from my current network.

The challenge for me is that it seems Windows 98 can only use SMB1, a version of SAMBA that is deprecated and a serious security liability.

My concern is not about the Windows98 machine itself (as the PC is powered off 90% of the time, and when it's running I am mostly using DOS), but the Synology where I keep the files for the Windows 98 access because it is always on and available on the network.

Is there any way I can get my Windows 98 to connect to my Synology (or to my Windows 10 PC as an alternative) using SMB2 or another alternative that would allow me to disable SMB1 on my other machines?

Cheers,
Bruno

NightShadowPT
----------------
Compaq Deskpro M 486/66 - 64MB Ram - Compaq QVision 1MB - Orpheus II Sound
Card - 4GB SCSI HDD + 4GB CF Card - SCSI CD-ROM Plextor PX-32TSi - Adaptec WideSCSI AHA-2740W - 3COM Etherlink III Card

Reply 1 of 18, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Enable/use Apple network protocol? AppleTalk? AFP?
It's old and obscure, by comparison. For a simple file transfer in a LAN, it might do.

Edit: A Raspberry Pi could also act as a bridge between the worlds, maybe.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 18, by Dmetsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another way to tackle it is to use a Server 2000/2003 VM on a segregated network with the 98 machine. This way you are not compromising the Synology NAS and Windows 10 PC's. I would not allow a 98 system to be on the same subnet as the rest of my other systems.

A7N8X-LA | 2800+ | GeForce2 MX400 | Audigy 2 ZS
BE6-II 1.0 | PIII-933 | Viper 770 TNT2 | Live 5.1 Value
MS-5169 | K6-2 450 | Voodoo3 3000 AGP | AWE64 Value
P5A-B | P200-S | 64MB | MGA Millennium | Yamaha 719
LS-486E | Am5x86-P75

Reply 3 of 18, by Towncivilian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use FTP. Built in IIS to serve the FTP site on my main Windows 10 PC and then whichever FTP client on the retro build to transfer files. Easy, fast, and no need to introduce security vulnerabilities like SMBv1 on the home network.

abit BX-133 RAID, P3-S 1.4Ghz, 768MB PC133, GeForce FX5200, SB16 ISA, 2x40GB RAID1, Sony SDT-9000 & Connor CTD-8000 SCSI DDS2 DAT drives, 3COM 10/100 NIC, Win2k SP4
Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Reply 4 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sadly no one has ported SMB2/3 to 9x yet. 🙁

You can do the following:
Enable the FW on your Synology NAS and restrict TCP 139 (9x,NT4) or TCP 445 (2000+) to whichever interfaces and/or IP addresses that need access
and/or
You can use winscp440setup on 98-ME if you want to use FTP or SSH. For SSH you may need to enable the following (unknown how you'd do it on Synology but this is what I enable on TrueNAS)
KexAlgorithms +diffie-hellman-group14-sha1
HostKeyAlgorithms +ssh-rsa

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 18, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NightShadowPT wrote on 2023-05-07, 16:23:

Hi,

I have a 486/DX66 that I am mostly using for DOS and DOS gaming.

For convenience, I have also installed Windows 98 to be able to transfer files to a from the system from my current network.

Why? That's like buying a huge truck to go to the corner shop...

Run a DOS FTP server (the one included in the mTCP suite will run on anything from 5150 up) on the old machine, use a nice user-friendly GUI FTP client (like FileZilla) on the new one.

Reply 6 of 18, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Running RetroNAS, all of my clients can access SMB shares without having to enable old protocols on my modern machines.

RetroNAS - open source server software for your retro machines

https://github.com/danmons/retronas/wiki/Samba

Samba (the software used by RetroNAS to offer SMB1) is NOT exploitable after Samba version 4.6.4. RetroNAS and Debian 11 use a fully security patched Samba 4.13.X.

Samba will auto-negotiate the highest common level of the SMB protocol when clients connect in. It can simultaneously handle legacy SMB1 clients connecting in, as well as the very latest SMB 3.1.1 clients (Windows 10, Windows 11, modern macOS, and modern Linux clients like MiSTer-FPGA). You can log on to your RetroNAS device via SSH and run the smbstatus -vv command to see every active connection and SMB protocol version used separately by each.

For good measure I keep retro & modern on separate subnets, and don't enable gateways on the old machines.

[edit] Want to clarify: This auto-negotiation is built into Samba, so it's not like you have to install RetroNAS to get it. It should work the same on Synology, but I can't speak to that first hand. Can anyone chime in?

Reply 7 of 18, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No way of running modern SMB on vintage windows. No way of securely providing network drives to vintage windows from anything modern. FTP is probably no better than SMBv1 from a security perspective either, same goes for WebDAV.

I use the NetWare file & print services which run over IPX/SPX. While the NetWare protocols security is likely awful (its over 25 years old), windows hasn't supported IPX since Server 2003, and it's not routable over the internet at all. So it's practically on its own subnet - the IPX/SPX traffic is completely invisible to anything remotely modern that isn't running a packet sniffer. Any attack against this would have to come from within my LAN and be quite targeted. So I rate that as good enough security.

Feature-wise its pretty much equivalent to SMB except no peer-to-peer ability - the Windows 98 PC can talk to the server but not to other PCs. But you get network drives on DOS as well as Windows 9x, NT/2000/XP/2003, OS/2 and more which is nice. Currently I run an actual instance of NetWare Server in a VM, but there is also Mars NWE which is the equivalent of Samba (implements the netware server bits on linux). MarsNWE hasn't been maintained in a long time though so really something you're better off running on a dedicated Raspberry Pi or in a VM (it's probably not easy to cleanly uninstall it).

None of this is low effort though. To me the effort has been worthwhile because it does DOS network drives extremely well; nothing does network drives on DOS better. I'm hoping that someday something like this will make using the NetWare protocols a bit easier, but until then it takes some effort to setup. Probably more effort than it's worth if you've only got a single vintage PC you're trying to network.

But then I don't know there is any option suitable for a single PC that is relatively quick/easy to setup and more secure than just using SMBv1. Any solution aiming for better security is going to involve some combination of VMs, Raspberry Pi equivalents, VLANs, and obscure non-internet-routable network stacks.

Reply 8 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No idea about a Synology. It may be old school but a friend setup a File Server with two nic's and two smart firewalled routers. One for certain computers to get to internet and the file server, and one for others to a diff router and file server.
Kept his Internet and Intranet separate. Think something like that would work since you really cannot easily browse the internet on a DOS, win3x or win9x box ....just a thought.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 18, by st31276a

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If your lan is behind a nat router, the stuff on the inside would not be available unless port forwarded on the router. I just run plain insecure smb1 straight because I tust my lan. (And I don’t have modern windows computers 😀 )

Reply 10 of 18, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
st31276a wrote on 2023-05-08, 14:05:

If your lan is behind a nat router, the stuff on the inside would not be available unless port forwarded on the router. I just run plain insecure smb1 straight because I tust my lan. (And I don’t have modern windows computers 😀 )

100% this

people blow this crap way out of proportion

Reply 11 of 18, by Dmetsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-05-08, 15:01:

100% this

And people put way too much faith into their $50 router from Best Buy to protect them from exploits. People are their own worst enemy in the end.

A7N8X-LA | 2800+ | GeForce2 MX400 | Audigy 2 ZS
BE6-II 1.0 | PIII-933 | Viper 770 TNT2 | Live 5.1 Value
MS-5169 | K6-2 450 | Voodoo3 3000 AGP | AWE64 Value
P5A-B | P200-S | 64MB | MGA Millennium | Yamaha 719
LS-486E | Am5x86-P75

Reply 12 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

one more vote for mTCP's FTPSERVER, fire it up under DOS and with a modern ftp client transfer files around

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 14 of 18, by sneeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not done it with my retro pc yet running windows 95, but my amiga1200 is networked, and from that I just ftp to my desktop. Seems the simplest way and I will probably be doing the same from my retro pc in the next week or so when I get a long enough cable.

Reply 15 of 18, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If someone somehow manages to get inside your local LAN, you have way worse problems than insecure SMB1 on a retro machine that just has your games on it.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 16 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote on 2023-05-08, 23:52:

If someone somehow manages to get inside your local LAN, you have way worse problems than insecure SMB1 on a retro machine that just has your games on it.

Excellent point !!

Dmetsys wrote on 2023-05-08, 19:57:

And people put way too much faith into their $50 router from Best Buy to protect them from exploits. People are their own worst enemy in the end.

Could be true but even the older ac1900 routers from Asus or Netgear were never $50 new 5-8 years ago (try $100-150 back then = $200 today) and still provide excellent service and control ..
I actually loved my old Actiontec given me by Frontier, it had great functions. I think the issue is not the cheaper priced routers but more how people set them up.... or could be wrong 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 17 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a bit of a round about way but you could enable SMB1 on another PC, laptop, or whatever and treat that as the middleman.
Personally I just have SMB1 enabled on everything and never had any issues, admittedly nothing is on 24x7 though and all my retro hardware is attached to a switch that I turn off when networking isn't needed (due to noisy fans, but the extra level of security is a bonus)

I find I typically use a more modern machine to copy from one PC to another as it's more convenient and reliable. Win9x's GUI sometimes likes to crash but will happily still accept a file been coped to it for example.

Reply 18 of 18, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-05-08, 15:01:

100% this

Same - I have an ftp server set to run on a pi that only provides access to a folder for my retrocomputing stuff and is not accessible to the outside world.

V4P895P3 VLB Motherboard AMD 486 133MHz
64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,
Realtek 8019 ethernet + XT-IDE bios ROM, ES1869 soundcard, VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428 1mb VGA

440bx MSI 6119, modified slocket , Tualitin Celeron 1.2Ghz 256mb SD-RAM, CF 4GB HDD, FX5200 gfx