VOGONS

First post, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My question is rather simple, are there still new joysticks out there with drivers for Windows XP? They can be on a game port or USB…I had a look at the usual suspects buth most modern joysticks don’t have drivers past Windows 8.

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 1 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there, it depends. Simple joysticks without any special features (macro fearure, status display, etc) may work out-of-box.
Just like USB mice and USB keyboards, they are being detected as so called "HID" device (human interface device).

Anyway, I recommend listening to what others have to say.
It's been a while since I bought new PC hardware.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 9, by JayAlien

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you’re willing to go new old stock, most of the Microsoft sidewinder series have drivers built in drivers in xp. One of the best you can get is the force feedback 2, I have one and it’s great. There is a good listing here:

https://dosdays.co.uk/topics/Manufactu ... rosoft.php

Edit: I’m 97% certain that I used to run a Logitech G Extreme 3D Pro USB Joystick for Windows on xp, and you can still buy these online pretty cheaply

386sx25 SBP2 2M
P75(486) SB16 8M
P133 S3 Vir DX A64g 32M
P233MMX R128Pro A64 64M
Pii400 TNT2 Live! 128M
P3-1G V5 M80 256M
P3-1.4G R8500 A1 256M
A3200 9700Pro A2 512M
X6800 X850XT A2ZS 1G
E8600 X1950XTX Xfi 2G
QX9650 3870 Xfi 2G
i7-975 GTX570 Xfi 3GB

Reply 3 of 9, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, thanks for your feedbacks! I'll have a look at these options 😀

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.

Reply 4 of 9, by darkenedroom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If your looking for a hotas combo rather than just a joystick then the Saitek X45 still has Win XP drivers and software available, it's usb and there are even posts on other forums where people have managed to get it working under Win 10 as well with certain games. Mine is second hand but I've had zero issues with it so far.

Reply 5 of 9, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A simple joystick will do, it's to play some old Novalogic games occasionally. Stupid thing is that I had a Saitek X52 and sold it 4-5 years ago. I see that they are now produced by Logitech (https://www.logitechg.com/en-ch/products/spac … 945-000006.html) but I wonder if the old Windows XP drivers from Saitek work on them.

Reply 6 of 9, by JayAlien

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darkenedroom wrote on 2023-05-12, 09:55:

If your looking for a hotas combo rather than just a joystick then the Saitek X45 still has Win XP drivers and software available, it's usb and there are even posts on other forums where people have managed to get it working under Win 10 as well with certain games. Mine is second hand but I've had zero issues with it so far.

I have a Saitek X45, can confirm it works on Win 10, it’s great for Elite Dangerous

386sx25 SBP2 2M
P75(486) SB16 8M
P133 S3 Vir DX A64g 32M
P233MMX R128Pro A64 64M
Pii400 TNT2 Live! 128M
P3-1G V5 M80 256M
P3-1.4G R8500 A1 256M
A3200 9700Pro A2 512M
X6800 X850XT A2ZS 1G
E8600 X1950XTX Xfi 2G
QX9650 3870 Xfi 2G
i7-975 GTX570 Xfi 3GB

Reply 7 of 9, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JayAlien wrote on 2023-05-12, 03:44:

Edit: I’m 97% certain that I used to run a Logitech G Extreme 3D Pro USB Joystick for Windows on xp, and you can still buy these online pretty cheaply

Interesting, I didn't know there were still joysticks with WinXP drivers available. Logitech driver page shows only Win7-10 on the drop down menu, but the actual OS support reads "OS: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (or older), Windows 10"

I wonder how far that (or older) goes, probably just Win2k. Wouldn't say no to ME support though. I think I'll pick up one of these at some point as I've never owned a single joystick in my life but am pretty sure I'd prefer a joystick over mouse with certain games, thanks for the hint!

Reply 8 of 9, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2023-05-13, 06:45:
JayAlien wrote on 2023-05-12, 03:44:

Interesting, I didn't know there were still joysticks with WinXP drivers available. Logitech driver page shows only Win7-10 on the drop down menu, but the actual OS support reads "OS: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (or older), Windows 10"

I wonder how far that (or older) goes, probably just Win2k. Wouldn't say no to ME support though. I think I'll pick up one of these at some point as I've never owned a single joystick in my life but am pretty sure I'd prefer a joystick over mouse with certain games, thanks for the hint!

Just bought a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro from Hard Off, a Japanese used item chain with three stores in Taiwan, for NT$400 (US$12.50) last week. Although it was labeled "Junk -- sold as is," the joystick worked fine in Game Controllers under Control Panel of Windows XP; no driver needed. Haven't got a chance to play games with it, though.

Reply 9 of 9, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dormcat wrote on 2023-05-13, 16:13:

Just bought a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro from Hard Off, a Japanese used item chain with three stores in Taiwan, for NT$400 (US$12.50) last week. Although it was labeled "Junk -- sold as is," the joystick worked fine in Game Controllers under Control Panel of Windows XP; no driver needed. Haven't got a chance to play games with it, though.

I imagine using the drivers would still give the ability to program all the buttons which could be handy. I'm not sure what is the most ergonomic way to use a joystick and could end up with a setup where I can't really use the keyboard.

Speaking of ergonomics how does it feel to hold? Like something you could use for couple hours or does it make your hand cramp just by looking at it?