VOGONS

First post, by curggles@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi just trying to see if there is anyone with some insight on this. I have a Mediavision PAS scsi 16 05-0097-05-d Win 3.1 problem. when I install the drivers I found here on vogons I can use it in dos with mvsound it works perfect, but when going into windows it says spectrum hardware is not installed. cannot load a device in system.ini in 386 enhanced mode. the file in question is VPASD.386.
I am starting to think it's a feature of media vision card that this particular card doesn't have and that maybe it's incorrect driver by chance. not alot of info on these cards. It sounds great better than my creative cards.

Asus p55t2p4 PEntium 200, 48mb ram, Cirrus logic 5446 PCI, diamond monster voodoo 3d, ISA Asus vibra 16.
PCChips m321, am386 dx40, 4mb ram, trident 8900c ISA, Creative labs SB16 CT2230.
Ap43 Intel i486dx4-100 also have a amd am486dx2-66v16bcg.

Reply 1 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there! I owned a PAS16 SCSI in the 90s.
I used in a 12 MHz 80286 PC running MS-DOS 6.20 and Windows 3.1x.

Windows support worked fine back then.
But I was a 286 owner, so I had to use Standard Mode, of course.

Hm. How fast is your PC? And do you have EMM386.EXE in Config.sys?
If so, please disable it for trouble shooting (add REM before that line).

Good luck,
Jo22

PS: You can find drivers here:

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=198

https://www.pc-schnulli.de/hardw/skisa/skisa.html

Please keep in mind that the original Media Vision and the OEM Logitech version of the card used different drivers at some point.
Older drivers may not support the model of the other manufacturer.

PS: There's also a MV Pro Studio 16, which is similar, but not identical.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 9, by curggles@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have emm386 enabled. I think thats what is going on is there is an issue with the windows 3.11 enhanced drivver for the card as like I said I can use it in dos just fine using the Soundblaster compatibility mvsound tslr. just windows 3.11 is complaining about enhanced mode driver issue. and since it works in dos alone would that not be similar to using it in windows 3.11 non enhanced mode?

Asus p55t2p4 PEntium 200, 48mb ram, Cirrus logic 5446 PCI, diamond monster voodoo 3d, ISA Asus vibra 16.
PCChips m321, am386 dx40, 4mb ram, trident 8900c ISA, Creative labs SB16 CT2230.

Reply 3 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hm. I'm not sure if I'm able to answer that. 🤷‍♂️
The issue could have various roots.

Do you use the latest EMM386 or PAS16 drivers, for example?
Or are there other pieces of soft-/hardware conflicting?

Posting yor autoexec.bat/config.sys and system.ini might help.

The PAS16 contains two soundcards, also.
It has a 16-Bit card, the real PAS16 so to say, and an 8-Bit Thunderboard.
The Thunderboard is an enhanced Sound Blaster 1.5 compatible sound card.

In the early 90s, the Thunderboard part was included for old, legacy software that doesn't support the PAS16 directly.
(PAS16 was directly supported in several 32-Bit games like Descent from the mid-90s.)

While using both is technically possible (under OS/2 Warp, for example) it might cause trouble in Windows 3.1x.
So please remove any Sound Blaster driver in Windows 3.1x Control Panel, if there's any installed.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 9, by curggles@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ya I have managed to get it working in windows 3.11 now. I went into drivers under windows 3.11 and then checked what drivers were installed and it had a mediavision Pro audio/cdpc wave/midi driver installed. I just went to add to see what media vision options there was from the drivers list it picked up from the files in windows system folder and there was a mediavision Pro Audio/cdpc SndBlaster Wave driver and installed that and now have sound. I then removed the other media vision drivers and removed vpasd.386 from system ini and have no more errors and have midi and digital sounds. I'm sure this is more of a work around and I am not getting the full benifits of this card but it is working so good enough for now.

I had tried full fresh install of msdos 6.22 and windows 3.11 and by the way it's not windows for workgroups it's windows 3.1 with the 3.11 update to program manager. I'm going to try getting other drivers and install them and see how it goes but like I said I have found a way to get sound and that is good enough for what I want out of the system. That or maybe I'll move it to a different system thats either newer for a windows that might have better support or to one of my older systems that isn't running win 3.1

Reply 5 of 9, by curggles@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well this card is interesting. I ended up finding a proper driver and got working 100 percent in windows 3.11 and dos. Then I swapped in a windows 95 drive I have setup for this computer when it had a sound blaster that was a mistake. everything looked fine when it did all of it's driver figuring out. then after a restart the bios complained of a static resource conflict. after swapping back to the dos/3.11 drive same thing. removed the card still had resource conflict. in the end even cmos clear didn't sort it out. I did a flash on the bios and that sorted it out and all is good again. No clue how that happened but what an interesting time.

Reply 6 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm if it a newer Pentium board then the BIOS ESCD might have been written to which then must be cleared and clearing CMOS does not do that. Re-Flashing/Programming the BIOS does.
There are some utils to clear ESCD table on certain boards/bios, have one for Award based (is actually AWDFLASH, use the /CP to clear ESCD [and /CD if need to clear DMI] switches)..
So which exact driver set did you use ? curious minds want to know 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 9, by curggles@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is a 486 socket 3 aopen (acer) ap43 motherboard with ami bios. it seems good now

Reply 8 of 9, by curggles@gmail.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I tried win 95 again with this sound card and did find that the sound blaster emulation device in device manager showed a conflict so I changed the dma to sort that out resolved the conflict as far as windows was concerned. The bios is still complaining. I flashed the bios again the message goes away but on a restart the bios message comes back. Definately an issue of nvram or escd info. I turned off NV ram escd writes for plug n play in windows and re flashed bios again and now do not get the errors. I am not sure if I actually still have a conflict or not. I also disabled com2 as I am using the typical dma for it for this pas16 card but I am kinda wondering if it's possibly also lpt1 conflict that the bios is seeing as I'm using irq7 for this sound card as well. Going to play around some more and start looking into IO resources as well. With this sound card basically being 2 sound cards then having SCSI controller I am totally seeing why it would conflict with the amount of resources it wants.

Reply 9 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never used the card in Windows 95, as far as I can remember..

However, I had used the PAS16 after the turn of the millennium in my Pentium 75 rig running Windows 98SE.
And it worked like a charm! Windows 98SE shipped with all the necessary drivers for the PAS16.
It was being auto-detected, even, by that hardware detection wizard.

The PAS16 really is a special card. It is an ISA card that's software configurable, but predates ISA Plug&Pray.

That being said, once using Windows 98SE, I never looked back to the optional Sound Blaster "emulation" (Thunderboard is an SB clone available in hardware).
I think I merely used the SB compatibility in the times when I was leaving Windows 98SE and was backing out to DOS 7.1.
That's when I needed the original Media Vision driver software again, which by default enabled SB hardware emulation.

I also was using Windows 3.10 in Standard-Mode at the time, by the way (I had kept a small Windows 3.10 installation in a separate directory).
And I can't remember having any issues with audio in either DOS software, nor Windows 3.10.

So I assume that MVSOUND.SYS (the PAS16 initialization utility/DOS driver thingy) was added to Config.sys by the setup software,
but t didn't interfere with the native Windows 98SE drivers for the PAS16.

Edited. Edited.

//My video channel//