VOGONS

First post, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I put together an Intel Marl system a few years ago. Official CPU support is up to a Pentium MMX Overdrive 200. I was just thrilled to get a Pentium MMX 233 working by just overvolting it, but in the back of my mind was taking it up to 400MHz with a K6-2 or K6-3 CPU. To do this I was going to need an interposer and an updated BIOS. I had already upgraded the BIOS to MR BIOS so that just left the right interposer to use. I was able to pick up an Evergreen Spectra 400 with a K6-2 400MHz CPU. I had one problem in the custom heatsink and fan were missing to clip on to the CPU socket because of the extra height and space taken up by the interposer board. SEKISUI #5760 thermal tape to the rescue as this eliminated the need for the retaining metal bracket on the heatsink. I installed everything and the system posted with the BIOS recognizing the CPU as an AMD K5. I used K6INIT to setup Write Allocate, Write Ordering and Write Combining. I then used CPUSPEED to enable the L1 cache as well as Data Prefetch. This works well for DOS. I used CTU for initialization of these parameters in Windows 98SE. I was really please with the results, but I thought I could do one better. The interposer from Evergreen supports voltages of 2.0, 2.2 & 2.4 as well as CPU multiplier up to 6.0. I decided to try a K6-III+. I set the voltage 2.0 and installed the K6-III+. The BIOS still recognized the CPU as an AMD K5. I just had to add the 6.0 multiplier K6INIT and enabled the L2 cache with CPUSPEED. I also updated these parameters in CTU for Windows 98SE.

All has been working well and the speed difference is just amazing. The one interesting thing is that base memory speed is less with the K6-X CPUs than the Pentium MMX. I am not going to post extensive benchmarks, but here are the results from Speedsys for the Pentium MMX 233, K6-2 400 & K6-III+ 400.

Attachments

• SSTIMG04.jpg
    Filename
    SSTIMG04.jpg
    File size
    58.8 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Speedsys Results - Pentium MMX 233
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • SSTIMG05.jpg
    Filename
    SSTIMG05.jpg
    File size
    58.77 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Speedsys Results - K6-2 400
    File license
  • SSTIMG06.jpg
    Filename
    SSTIMG06.jpg
    File size
    59.61 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Speedsys Results - K6-III+ 400
    File license
Last edited by jasa1063 on 2023-05-18, 18:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what is actually the cacheable area on that marl board? can't find it in the specs but it seems they used a 32kx8 SRAM over the usual 16kx8 on other HX boards where it's upgradeable. in any event 400mhz is well suited for a fully cached 128mb in my book, this would have been a neat upgrade if you didn't care too much for the latest 3d games at the time. it would have probably been quite usable for basic tasks into the early 2000s which isn't bad for a 1996 board.

and yes, the k6 video transfer speed is comparatively lacking, even with MTRRs enabled it only about matches pentium mmx. the ppro could already pretty much max out the PCI bus, as seen in the fastvid readme benchmark with a matrox millennium.

Reply 2 of 5, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
auron wrote on 2023-05-18, 14:59:

what is actually the cacheable area on that marl board? can't find it in the specs but it seems they used a 32kx8 SRAM over the usual 16kx8 on other HX boards where it's upgradeable. in any event 400mhz is well suited for a fully cached 128mb in my book, this would have been a neat upgrade if you didn't care too much for the latest 3d games at the time. it would have probably been quite usable for basic tasks into the early 2000s which isn't bad for a 1996 board.

and yes, the k6 video transfer speed is comparatively lacking, even with MTRRs enabled it only about matches pentium mmx. the ppro could already pretty much max out the PCI bus, as seen in the fastvid readme benchmark with a matrox millennium.

AFAIK, the Intel Marl caches the entire 128MB of ram. Later revisions only supported 256KB of cache memory. Earlier revisions supposedly supported up to 512KB of cache memory. The one I have has 256KB for L2 cache on the motherboard. I am currently using a Hercules Dynamite 128 ET6000 board with 4MB of ram and a Voodoo 2 12MB card for 3D. I think I am going to swap those out for a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI video card instead.

Reply 3 of 5, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a quick update. I started having issues with a K6-III+ CPU. I tried two different ones and got everything from lockups to beep codes indicating a memory error on when powering on. I have switched to a K6-III 400 @2.4v and so far no issues. I wonder if these Evergreen Spectra 400s were actually tested for proper operation @2.0v. It could also just be an issue with mine.

Reply 4 of 5, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've an Evergreen Spectra 400 that I'm using in a PCChips M520 motherboard. It came with a K6-2 400, and I swapped that CPU for a K6-3+ 400 1.6 volt chip that is running at 450 MHz at 2.0 volts. I've had no issues with mine.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 5 of 5, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-05-25, 02:05:

I've an Evergreen Spectra 400 that I'm using in a PCChips M520 motherboard. It came with a K6-2 400, and I swapped that CPU for a K6-3+ 400 1.6 volt chip that is running at 450 MHz at 2.0 volts. I've had no issues with mine.

I suspect my adapter just doesn't like 2.0v in the my motherboard. I am just glad the K6-III 400 @2.4v is working so far.