VOGONS

First post, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ordered Voodoo 2 MAC in good price with SLI and passthrough cable, will it works out of the box or I have to flash it to work in SLI outside MAC?

Reply 2 of 9, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hope so. Then another question. 4 cards, all 12MB, 3 with 100MHz RAM, 1 with 110MHz. One Creative CT6670, second Innovision 110MHz, third Techworks and that MAC one Game Wizard.

Should I worry about SLI? Because I want to put them in 2 builds. One already have Creative CT6670 and Innovision and that works. Maybe I should make specific configuration without buying another cards? I bought two, that MAC and Game Wizard because of availability and price. Also yes, I ordered custom SLI PCB bridge for second build as well. 😀

Reply 3 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only downside will be a DB15 plus VGA connectors on the MAC Voodoo 2 instead of two VGA D-subs. If it like in this article: https://www.journaldulapin.com/2017/08/01/voodoo-2-mac-2/
DB15 to VGA adapters are common and use on on my MAC for a PC LCD/LED monitor.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 9, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The thing is I don't need it as SLI requires passthrough for only one of V2s, right? Or none at all but that requires another cable or swapping one? Plus any inconvenience with cards from not the same manufacturer? Getting two identical is difficult nowadays. 😀

Reply 5 of 9, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
haker120 wrote on 2023-05-21, 18:28:

The thing is I don't need it as SLI requires passthrough for only one of V2s, right? Or none at all but that requires another cable or swapping one? Plus any inconvenience with cards from not the same manufacturer? Getting two identical is difficult nowadays. 😀

Only one V2 needs to be connected with the passthrough to the VGA monitor. The two cards handle the scanline interleaving over the SLI cable/bridge, the card will output the combined video signal.

As for flashing, this is only necessary for Voodoo cards that also handle 2D. So the Rush, Banshee, V3, V4 and V5 cards.
The V1 and V2 do not have a ROM onboard, as the BIOS (or Open Firmware in the case of PowerPC Macs) doesn't need to access the cards prior to booting the OS and starting a Glide API game.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 6 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's been a while, but I've successfully done things the other way round.
I've installed a normal Voodoo and then a Voodoo 2 in a Power Mac G4.
Both cards worked fine in a Pentium 133, too.
The cards definitely work on either platform, as long as it's a normal 33 MHz PCI slot.

On Mac, both Virtual PC 2 and 3 were able to talk to the Voodoos.
- At the time, Virtual PCs weren't switching to little endian mode yet but stayed in big endian and did the required endian-nes conversion (intel x86 vs Mac PPC) in software.
They later did use that switch in v4, too speed up x86 emulation.

That was possible because the G3/G4 processors of the time could work in both little endian (intel standard) and big endian mode (Mac default).

When Virtual PC v4 and later finally did use that CPU feature to temporarily switch the CPU to little endian,
they broke future compatibility with G5 processor and the Voodoo support.

The switch to little endian somehow affected the communication link between
the Voodoo and the Mac software side, likely because memory now was in a different spot.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
haker120 wrote on 2023-05-21, 18:14:

I hope so. Then another question. 4 cards, all 12MB, 3 with 100MHz RAM, 1 with 110MHz. One Creative CT6670, second Innovision 110MHz, third Techworks and that MAC one Game Wizard.

Should I worry about SLI? Because I want to put them in 2 builds. One already have Creative CT6670 and Innovision and that works. Maybe I should make specific configuration without buying another cards? I bought two, that MAC and Game Wizard because of availability and price. Also yes, I ordered custom SLI PCB bridge for second build as well. 😀

You won't be able to use reference drivers but that's not a big deal, plenty of unofficial drivers exist that allow mismatched cards.

Reply 9 of 9, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can somebody tell me why official driver accepts two identical V2 for SLI? And is it a thing nowadays or only fastVoodoo drivers work for this? I mean, I'll have 6 V2s, 3 identical and one with faster RAM. Does RAM matters as well without overclocking?

And maybe pairing unmatched ones make sense? 😁