VOGONS

First post, by Maryoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you know if the ASUS P5VD2-MX socket 775 (VIA P4M890) motherboard will support Sound Blaster emulation in real DOS mode? I ask because I recently tested a similar board (Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L) but with the Intel G31 chipset and all my sound cards had a problem with the DMA mode, as if it was not available. The cards I tested were Sound Blaster Live!, Forte Media FM801, ESS Solo-1, Sound Blaster 128 PCI, Avance Logic ALS4000 and CMI8738.

Last edited by Maryoo on 2023-05-27, 10:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it should work with Solo 1, it has the VT8237 south bridge. Also you can try SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97. FM801 should have worked on the other motherboard (with the Intel chipset).

Reply 2 of 4, by Maryoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yesterday I tested the operation of SBEMU with the sound chip on the motherboard and three Sound Blaster Live! With the motherboard sound everything worked fine but with SBLive! there were problems. In two cards, the sound under DOS worked, but in one card only the left sound channel worked, in the second - the right channel and in the third there was no sound at all, but the card was detected correctly. However, the biggest problem of SBEMU in my case was that when this driver is loaded, Windows 98 throws protection errors and therefore does not start. JEEMEX itself also prevents Win98 from booting. Despite everything, I hope that SBEMU will be refined in the future and will be able to run Windows 98 with driver loaded.

Reply 3 of 4, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Maryoo wrote on 2023-05-28, 08:37:

Despite everything, I hope that SBEMU will be refined in the future and will be able to run Windows 98 with driver loaded.

Wait could you explain why are you trying to run SBEMU in Win98? There are Win98 drivers for SB Live. And SB Live is also supported by SBEMU in DOS. It’s one or the other. What is your goal?

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 4 of 4, by Maryoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruno128 wrote on 2023-06-30, 09:45:
Maryoo wrote on 2023-05-28, 08:37:

Despite everything, I hope that SBEMU will be refined in the future and will be able to run Windows 98 with driver loaded.

Wait could you explain why are you trying to run SBEMU in Win98? There are Win98 drivers for SB Live. And SB Live is also supported by SBEMU in DOS. It’s one or the other. What is your goal?

I don't need SBEMU for Win98, but when I have the SBEMU driver running, win98 won't start.